Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: BOOM

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:35 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:47 am
3 star, offers from us and Northern Colorado.

Not sure if he projects at QB but if so it seems like Choate and crew can't make their mind up on what kind of QB they want.
I would say the majority of their efforts have made it clear that they would prefer a dual threat QB.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:05 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:03 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 am
Have no inside info, but I would have to think this kid is going to stay @ QB. I REALLY liked his tape, he is an athlete and can break the big run for sure but he has a pretty good arm and throws a nice ball.

https://t.co/cmjQRZ77qF -Junior year highlights

Definitely has some mechanics to clean up, but a few of his throws were off his back foot or with very little hip rotation/weight transfer and he still put some zip behind it which IMO shows he has some good arm strength (music to the "QB-needs-arm-strength" crowd's ears). He can push the ball downfield with just the flick of the wrist, when he gets some training from a college level QB coach and irons out some of his mechanics he has the potential to be VERY good.
Yeah, I see the footwork and "wind-up" delivery. But sometimes that's how the boat floats. I'd be careful with this kid. His arm speed is amazing and if he's delivers the ball on-time and on-target, I'd leave him be. You see an amazing array of deliveries in the NFL. A few are text book, most not.
I can see the footwork being cleaned up and this should be relatively easy.
Definitely needs footwork help, but I agree with you.

Tbh, MSU doesn't have anybody on the staff that should be doing a lot of work on QB mechanics. More liable to screw things up. Work on the little things, and that's about it, imo.
Seriously? Talk about an idiot statement.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:05 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Have no inside info, but I would have to think this kid is going to stay @ QB. I REALLY liked his tape, he is an athlete and can break the big run for sure but he has a pretty good arm and throws a nice ball.

Definitely has some mechanics to clean up, but a few of his throws were off his back foot or with very little hip rotation/weight transfer and he still put some zip behind it which IMO shows he has some good arm strength (music to the "QB-needs-arm-strength" crowd's ears). He can push the ball downfield with just the flick of the wrist, when he gets some training from a college level QB coach and irons out some of his mechanics he has the potential to be VERY good.
Yeah, I see the footwork and "wind-up" delivery. But sometimes that's how the boat floats. I'd be careful with this kid. His arm speed is amazing and if he's delivers the ball on-time and on-target, I'd leave him be. You see an amazing array of deliveries in the NFL. A few are text book, most not.

Tbh, MSU doesn't have anybody on the staff that should be doing a lot of work on QB mechanics. More liable to screw things up. Work on the little things, and that's about it, imo.
What a negative comment!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

I mean, there's not very many schools that do.

No offense to Matt Miller, he looks like he can be a very good OC, but I don't think his strengths lie in QB mechanics. You start messing too much with a kids mechanics, and you can really throw their game haywire.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's very possible, but good QB coaches are few and far between. That's why you rarely see schools where all the QB's have the same mechanics. Jeff Tedford is the only one coming to mind off the top of my head, and his top guys all got re-tooled in the NFL.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

No offense to Matt Miller, he looks like he can be a very good OC, but I don't think his strengths lie in QB mechanics. You start messing too much with a kids mechanics, and you can really throw their game haywire.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's very possible, but good QB coaches are few and far between. That's why you rarely see schools where all the QB's have the same mechanics. Jeff Tedford is the only one coming to mind off the top of my head, and his top guys all got re-tooled in the NFL.
Did I miss something and DeNarius no longer coaches at MSU? Your bias against him is well-known but it’s silly to not bring him up in your post.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

Did I miss something and DeNarius no longer coaches at MSU? Your bias against him is well-known but it’s silly to not bring him up in your post.
Denarious and Matt are plenty capable. These guys are paid professionals who have been around the game all their lives. Saying they can’t work on the mechanics of an incoming freshman because they are “more liable to screw things up” is completely ignorant and disrespectful.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

I'm a pretty big fan on DeNarius. I don't have any bias against him, at all.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

Denarious and Matt are plenty capable. These guys are paid professionals who have been around the game all their lives. Saying they can’t work on the mechanics of an incoming freshman because they are “more liable to screw things up” is completely ignorant and disrespectful.
Sigh. Again, that's not exactly what I said. I'd appreciate it if you could at least get what I'm saying right.

Mainly what I'm saying is they shouldn't mess much with a kids release and motion, the throwing mechanics. Tweak if needed, but don't re-tool. Work on footwork, it's a little easier and more important.

Watch more college and pro football. Mechanical issues everywhere. It's really freaking hard, and most of the really good QB coaches are private. Shoot, my pro team drafted a guy in Mitch Trubisky who had a ton of issues coming out of college. It's common! This isn't a knock on our coaches, it's just reality.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:46 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:46 am
I’d like to see that video he mentions. Looks like the facilities plan is already paying dividends.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:38 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Other than how he divided the locker room somehow, for reasons you never gave? Again, seems silly to mention Miller coaching QBs when DeNarius is one of the all-time greats at MSU and even the Big Sky statistically at the QB position. How are he and Miller "liable to screw things up" by working with Robison? You posted it, how will those two "screw up" the mechanics of the QBs?
I really don't want to get into the middle of this but people don't seem to know that Denarius is still the RB's coach. Matt Miller is the QB's coach. I don't doubt either of their ability to coach QB's. Just wanted that out there.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:43 pm

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I'm not going to re-hash old history. Those who know, know.

You don't even know he doesn't coach QB's here, so I'm not going to entertain you further.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

No point in arguing with 99. He is the self appointed expert of anything regarding football or the inner working of the Cats. Gonna change his name to Gruden.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

No point in arguing with 99. He is the self appointed expert of anything regarding football or the inner working of the Cats. Gonna change his name to Gruden.
I mean 99 did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 am

Basically you don’t want to over coach. Good coaches tell players to “try” doing it like this, bad coaches tell players they “need” to do it like this. Quarterback isn’t the only position and football isn’t the only sport this applies to.

If you try to force a player, especially a productive player, to change it can have adverse effects. I think that’s generally what 99 is saying. At the same time every player at every college is going to get suggestions about ways to try to improve their fundamentals. Sometimes they’ll work, sometimes they won’t. The coach needs to move on and not dwell on it too much if it isn’t working.

There are exceptions to this, such as a flaw that is going to doom a player to failure. But by the time a player gets this far, those things have usually been caught.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 am
Basically you don’t want to over coach. Good coaches tell players to “try” doing it like this, bad coaches tell players they “need” to do it like this. Quarterback isn’t the only position and football isn’t the only sport this applies to.

If you try to force a player, especially a productive player, to change it can have adverse effects. I think that’s generally what 99 is saying. At the same time every player at every college is going to get suggestions about ways to try to improve their fundamentals. Sometimes they’ll work, sometimes they won’t. The coach needs to move on and not dwell on it too much if it isn’t working.

There are exceptions to this, such as a flaw that is going to doom a player to failure. But by the time a player gets this far, those things have usually been caught.
Essentially this. Thanks Tom.

I probably worded it poorly, but what I meant is we don't have anybody here who should be going about a complete re-tooling of a QB's mechanics, bc hardly anybody has somebody like that.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:52 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I mean 99 did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...
I see your mom gave you the receipt.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:58 am

No one is going to try to completely redo what any of the QBs are doing. This isn’t like Tiger completely redoing his swing, where he gets a Butch Harmon or Hank Haney to work with him for six months or whatever. 99 is right if he’s saying MSU doesn’t have that kind of a coach on board, because MSU doesn’t.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 am

How's about we steer this conversation more towards Grady?

My apologies for veering it off track.

I'm excited to see how his SR year goes, especially in regards to TO's (which he brought up in that rivals/247 article). He's a true dual threat. Very nice pickup.