QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: QB Update

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm
If the plan is to keep Troy Anderson on defense regardless of the Murray news, then I think Jonsen should enter the QB competition. I'm not confident that he would win it, but the QB run game has been a vital aspect of our offense. To lose it almost entirely in favor of someone of Rovig's caliber is a little disconcerting.
Rovig can be the starting QB and Troy/Travis can still touch the rock 10-15 times from the QB position on wildcat plays. It will still be a primary part of the offense...now Troy just won't be taking every actual snap.
I agree with that. But for the sake of continuity within the offense, I'd prefer not to have a split like that. Though at this point, that might be the best option.

Are they still looking for any other QB options?
If a legit dual-threat talent is looking to transfer, MSU will be interested. But Rovig is the leader in the clubhouse and can absolutely run a more balanced, efficient offense that Matt Miller wants to run. No...Tucker won't be running QB power but the kid is not a statue back there. The main takeaway here is if MSU can actually show a passing game next year, they are going to be hard to beat.
I am still curious on how this whole transfer portal thing is going to work and baffled at some of the names still on it without a team. I mean we are in June and there are still four 4-star QBs, 9 3-star QBs and too many to count 2-star QBs that still haven't signed with a new team. Some of 3-star QBs that HAVE signed (NorthWestern, Chatanooga, William & Mary, Portland State, Wagner, East Tennesee State) have signed with FCS schools. You would think MSU would be very appealing to the ones left this late in the game. I know it's more about fit, character and mutual interest than Choate just picking a kid from the transfer portal and he isn't going to just take a transfer for the sake of taking one, I just find it interesting is all. BTW I am very confident on Rovig taking the reigns this year and would not shock me a bit if he takes the next step.

On a related note to the transfer portal, have Metcalf and Duru found new homes for this season? I haven't heard anything, I wonder if they are second guessing this choice at all..........
Respect their decision! Gods plan!
haha nicely done.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Jonsen started out at Oregon, Jensen we all saw was a talented kid, Modster showed he could play well at the FBS level and TA is a freak athlete who Choate felt gave us the best chance to win until he was ready to put TR back there before he broke his foot last year. It's not like TR was behind a scrub and that Choate has been looking to bring in a scrub to compete for the QB job. Every guy rumored to have been looking at MSU has/had some damn good credentials.
Sure... I wouldn't expect Choate to be going after "scrubs" in any circumstances. But the point is that the Cats have been pretty persistent about pursuing other QB options since Rovig has been here, and when the job came open they didn't give him the first nod.

Like Vim pointed out, pursuing depth/competition isn't necessarily an indictment of Rovig. But the level of effort in this case seems too strong for me to believe that it had nothing to do with their confidence level in Rovig.

Take another position as an example. How many transfer RB's have they pursued to compete with Ifanse for the starting job? If the efforts at QB are just due diligence and business as usual, shouldn't we expect to see similar efforts at all positions?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:17 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm
For as small of a sample size as it was, I watched every throw Tucker threw last year and I came away excited about what he could do with a few more starts. I saw anticipation, touch, an ability to throw the fastball when necessary, confidence, accountability, and most importantly I saw Tucker trusting his receivers to make plays by throwing the ball to them when they weren't necessarily open. Give the guys a chance to make a play. If he does start, he's going to make mistakes. He's going to throw that out route late and an interception may happen. He's going to get sacked and possibly fumble the ball. He's going to make a poor read and throw the ball into coverage. But guess what? Denarius made those same mistakes. Prukop made those mistakes. Lulay made those mistakes. All three of those guys got chances to correct them because they proved to be the guy the kids trusted in the huddle. Troy won the QB job last year because the kids trusted him to lead them. Tucker is heading into this third season and has improved his leadership ability leaps and bounds since his true freshman season. The kid has turned into a man and he is visibly ready to lead this group. He and Matt Miller have a good connection. Also, Choate will always bring in competition to make his roster better. Tucker could have a great season this fall and Choate is still going to go after the Gresch Jensen and Devon Modster's of the world. My money is on Tucker winning the job and I'm excited to watch him blossom into the steady QB this offense desperately needs to take MSU deeper into the playoffs.
We are basically talking about two games-- SDSU and Wagner.

Rovig was pretty bad against the Jacks. I don't recall specifics, but obviously the outcome was poor. In fairness, that's a high end opponent.

The results were sterling against Wagner. The optimism around him derives largely from this one game. What I recall from it was a lot of check downs and jump balls, which you alluded to. But I came away feeling like most of the chunk plays had more to do with Kassis' excellence and some of the worst DB play you'll see at this level than with great quarterbacking. That was my honest impression watching it live. Those Wagner defensive backs had no ball skills. They couldn't play with their back to the LOS. Full disclosure, I was not able to go back and rewatch it. But suffice it to say, I didn't see the traits you mentioned other than the comment on trusting his receivers.

But hey, he's young and he could be great. I'm certainly not rooting against him. I sincerely hope he improves and that he can lead them deeper into the playoffs-- though I think that has more to do with avoiding NDSU in the 2nd round than it does with Rovig starting.

EDIT: Forgot to add this-- I'm sure you're right and that Choate is always going to be bringing in competition, but I have a hard time believing that he would go this hard after a QB transfer if he was as confident in Rovig as you are. Just my opinion.
Wagner was bad, but I don't think any other QB under Choate would have outperformed Rovig that day. Maybe Chriss Murray in his 3rd straight year starting, but that's a big maybe considering how inconsistent he was throwing the ball.

It is a little of column A and a little of column B. Rovig did exactly what you'd want a QB to do to a team like Wagner. He doesn't need to do that every game, I'm not sure we need a QB to do that ever - we don't want to be in a situation where we need our QB to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs win.

Wagner is really the only game we got to see what kind of offense the Bobcats could have if someone other than Troy is QB, with Troy at RB (albeit still injured). The results left many of us optimistic, but we never got to see it progress. I'm still baffled that Troy started the next week at PSU.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 pm
Wagner was bad, but I don't think any other QB under Choate would have outperformed Rovig that day. Maybe Chriss Murray in his 3rd straight year starting, but that's a big maybe.

It is a little of column A and a little of column B. Rovig did exactly what you'd want a QB to do to a team like Wagner. He doesn't need to do that every game, I'm not sure we need a QB to do that ever - we don't want to be in a situation where we need our QB to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs win.

Wagner is really the only game we got to see what kind of offense the Bobcats could have if someone other than Troy is QB, with Troy at RB (albeit still injured). The results left many of us optimistic, but we never got to see it progress. I'm still baffled that Troy started the next week at PSU.
I certainly don't think any other Choate QB would have outperformed him passing, but that's mainly because his major "competition" in that regard is Murray and Anderson, who aren't really passers. But there's the rub. Rovig is undoubtedly a better passer than the other candidates, but the QB running game has been the foundation of the offense since Choate has been here. So while he adds value through the air, he detracts on the ground. The question is whether the value added will outweigh what is lost in the running game. It's possible, but I'm dubious.

I would also posit that perhaps the staff not starting him against PSU tells you something about what they thought of the Wagner game. We can't really know, but the decision to go back to Troy could indicate that they attributed a lot of the passing success to factors other than Rovig.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:12 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:08 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wagner was bad, but I don't think any other QB under Choate would have outperformed Rovig that day. Maybe Chriss Murray in his 3rd straight year starting, but that's a big maybe.

I certainly don't think any other Choate QB would have outperformed him passing, but that's mainly because his major "competition" in that regard is Murray and Anderson, who aren't really passers. But there's the rub. Rovig is undoubtedly a better passer than the other candidates, but the QB running game has been the foundation of the offense since Choate has been here. So while he adds value through the air, he detracts on the ground. The question is whether the value added will outweigh what is lost in the running game. It's possible, but I'm dubious.

I would also posit that perhaps the staff not starting him against PSU tells you something about what they thought of the Wagner game. We can't really know, but the decision to go back to Troy could indicate that they attributed a lot of the passing success to factors other than Rovig.
So why was Tucker going to start against Idaho then?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:12 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:08 pm
CelticCat wrote:

So why was Tucker going to start against Idaho then?
The coaching staff said that they were working on getting him ready up to that point. So I guess after EW, they felt he was ready? Or at least ready enough to be an alternative to what Troy had shown to that point?

I also know that PSU runs a very unconventional defense, so maybe they didn't want to expose a young passer to strange looks/reads that he'd struggle to discern. They could have just decided they could steam roll them while they worked with Rovig to get ready for future work.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Jonsen started out at Oregon, Jensen we all saw was a talented kid, Modster showed he could play well at the FBS level and TA is a freak athlete who Choate felt gave us the best chance to win until he was ready to put TR back there before he broke his foot last year. It's not like TR was behind a scrub and that Choate has been looking to bring in a scrub to compete for the QB job. Every guy rumored to have been looking at MSU has/had some damn good credentials.
Sure... I wouldn't expect Choate to be going after "scrubs" in any circumstances. But the point is that the Cats have been pretty persistent about pursuing other QB options since Rovig has been here, and when the job came open they didn't give him the first nod.

Like Vim pointed out, pursuing depth/competition isn't necessarily an indictment of Rovig. But the level of effort in this case seems too strong for me to believe that it had nothing to do with their confidence level in Rovig.

Take another position as an example. How many transfer RB's have they pursued to compete with Ifanse for the starting job? If the efforts at QB are just due diligence and business as usual, shouldn't we expect to see similar efforts at all positions?
Every program recruits guys at all positions and takes good players if they are interested. Clemson has one of the best QBs in the nation and still signed the #1 QB recruit in this last class I believe. Not because Lawrence isn't good enough and the coaches don't have confidence, but because depth and completion are never bad things. Even if TR was great and the clear cut starter I'm sure Choate would have gone after Jensen and Modster.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:34 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Every program recruits guys at all positions and takes good players if they are interested. Clemson has one of the best QBs in the nation and still signed the #1 QB recruit in this last class I believe. Not because Lawrence isn't good enough and the coaches don't have confidence, but because depth and completion are never bad things. Even if TR was great and the clear cut starter I'm sure Choate would have gone after Jensen and Modster.
Counterpoint-- bringing in a recruit who will probably have three years of eligibility left after Lawrence has moved on to the pros is a different thing than bringing in a transfer who would be looking to start immediately. Notice I didn't cite Bauman's presence as an indicator that the staff doesn't like Rovig.

As to your last sentence, we can't know but I feel equally confident that he wouldn't have.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:11 pm

I only watched the game once as well, but I remember Rovig playing pretty good in his first career start, as a freshman, in one of the most hostile opposing environments in the FCS at SDSU. I remember a few mistakes (Ints and a fumble on a scramble) but what really sticks out in my mind were the 33 dropped passes off of pretty good throws.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 pm
gotta love bobcatnation………

half of the "in the know" posters..... yup, he is back on the team!

The other half of the "in the know" posters... nope, he is off the team!

I'm gonna wait until there is some type of an official announcement.
I guess now you know which half are really “in the know.”
None of them. They were just the half that guessed it right this time.

Unless it comes directly from teams, coaches, Colter, or the players themselves, it means nothing.
That's just not true. Just because most of those people don't post here personally doesn't mean others are guessing.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:06 am

catbooster wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 am
Woodenshoe wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
Has anyone ever wondered how CM was able to get through High School early then end up not doing well in the class room in college? For the record I'm a fan of CM and was pulling for the kid.
High school classes are easier. High school football is easier. Doing high school classes and high school football is way easier than doing college classes and college football.
True, but if I'm not mistaken, he hasn't had to handle college classes and college football for the last year - just classes.

Regardless, thanks Chris and good luck.
That's true, but we don't know that Chris's grades this past year were bad--just not good enough to make up two years in one year. Making up two years in one year is always a lot to ask.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am

RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Comparing the QB position to the RB position on this team is comparing apples to baseballs. The Bobcats have so many RBs that they're having to make roster cuts at the position. After losing Murray for good, I think the Bobcats only have three quarterbacks. Unless I'm mistaken, three is a very small number of QBs for a college football team to have.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:06 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:53 am
TA would've never been moved to LB if Choate didn't think CM would be back as our QB. Seems as if less than half of BN understands this. Oh well. Go Cats!!!
This just isn’t true. Almost exactly the complete opposite.
Yep, more evidence that 84 is a loudmouth, arrogant, self important blowhard that can't be trusted.

I think I like Grizaddict better than this guy.

Just saying... :coffee:
Welp... I guess I haven't made a ton of friends on this board yet. Cheer up folks. It's okay to have different perspectives & opinions.

What will the board say to the prediction that TA will be back at starting QB this Fall? This will be the case I think. I don't see either Roving or Bauman being our starting QB when our jet lands in Lubbock this Fall.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 am
grizzh8r wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
TA would've never been moved to LB if Choate didn't think CM would be back as our QB. Seems as if less than half of BN understands this. Oh well. Go Cats!!!
Yep, more evidence that 84 is a loudmouth, arrogant, self important blowhard that can't be trusted.

Welp... I guess I haven't made a ton of friends on this board yet. Cheer up folks. It's okay to have different perspectives & opinions.

What will the board say to the prediction that TA will be back at starting QB this Fall? This will be the case I think. I don't see either Roving or Bauman being our starting QB when our jet lands in Lubbock this Fall.
Id make that bet all day everyday. Regardless of qb situation, Troy is now a full time linebacker who will get a handful of snaps each game on offense.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:28 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 pm
gotta love bobcatnation………

half of the "in the know" posters..... yup, he is back on the team!

The other half of the "in the know" posters... nope, he is off the team!

I'm gonna wait until there is some type of an official announcement.
I guess now you know which half are really “in the know.”
None of them. They were just the half that guessed it right this time.

Unless it comes directly from teams, coaches, Colter, or the players themselves, it means nothing.
You know lots of people are friends with coaches and I imagine players right? I don’t spout off guesses if I don’t know. In this case I heard directly from the player about 3 weeks ago. So you can imagine my entertainment reading about him being our qb when he said personally he was no longer a bobcat.

I wish him well. Moving on!

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Comparing the QB position to the RB position on this team is comparing apples to baseballs. The Bobcats have so many RBs that they're having to make roster cuts at the position. After losing Murray for good, I think the Bobcats only have three quarterbacks. Unless I'm mistaken, three is a very small number of QBs for a college football team to have.

The guys they were looking to bring in were not simply depth.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:20 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

The guys they were looking to bring in were not simply depth.
Bringing in a transfer who's simply depth is a waste of a scholarship. There's no point in doing all that scouting and paying to bring in a guy who doesn't have enough time to develop if you don't think he's good enough to contribute right away.

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

Id make that bet all day everyday. Regardless of qb situation, Troy is now a full time linebacker who will get a handful of snaps each game on offense.
I would accept your bet. Please propose your terms.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:38 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:20 am
Bringing in a transfer who's simply depth is a waste of a scholarship. There's no point in doing all that scouting and paying to bring in a guy who doesn't have enough time to develop if you don't think he's good enough to contribute right away.
Precisely my point.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:45 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

I would accept your bet. Please propose your terms.
$100 to winners charity of choice says that Troy Anderson won’t take the majority of QB snaps during the opening game vs Texas Tech.