QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by John K » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:53 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:00 am
Its a pretty fascinating story really- year 4 of the Jeff Choate era...… and we are still completely clueless as to what the QB situation will be... haha.

Luckily the team is built in a way that they can literally just run the ball on 99% of the plays next year... and that will probably work.
That works up to a certain extent, but realistically I think what we accomplished last year was sort of our ceiling, unless/until we're able to generate a better passing offense. We don't necessarily need to throw the ball 30-40 times a game. I'm fine with being a ground oriented team, but we do have to be more effective/efficient throwing the ball, than we've been the last 3 seasons. If not, I have a hard time imagining us ever advancing any deeper in the playoffs that we did last year.

I don't necessarily believe we need to bring in a transfer either. By the end of summer/fall practice, I think we need to decide which one of the young guys (Baumann, Beltran, Rovig) gives us the best chance of being successful, and then stick with him and give him every opportunity to prove himself worthy of the coaches confidence. If none of those guys are capable of excelling at the QB position, then I think you'd have to say that this staff just isn't very good at recruiting and/or developing QB's, for whatever reason.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 am
They are currently adding the freshman to the roster starting with the lower numbers. I had Burgess as a potential cut candidate heading into spring for what its worth (though I did not expect Shane Perry as the RB to win the roster bubble battle). Its really too bad about Jalen. He was instrumental in holding Idaho State to one of their lowest offensive outputs through the air on the season because of how well he could matchup with those small, quick receivers like Michael Dean.
Jalen could return.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 am
They are currently adding the freshman to the roster starting with the lower numbers. I had Burgess as a potential cut candidate heading into spring for what its worth (though I did not expect Shane Perry as the RB to win the roster bubble battle). Its really too bad about Jalen. He was instrumental in holding Idaho State to one of their lowest offensive outputs through the air on the season because of how well he could matchup with those small, quick receivers like Michael Dean.
Jalen could return.
Yup saw that. Hope he fully recovers!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:06 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:53 am
TA would've never been moved to LB if Choate didn't think CM would be back as our QB. Seems as if less than half of BN understands this. Oh well. Go Cats!!!
This just isn’t true. Almost exactly the complete opposite.
Yep, more evidence that 84 is a loudmouth, arrogant, self important blowhard that can't be trusted.

I think I like Grizaddict better than this guy.

Just saying... :coffee:
Ha I’ll take it! I think it was pretty evident to those following closely Murray was gone. The tweet he sent out about “things happen for reasons” made many wonder (as that could be taken many different ways). It was what he retweeted many times after that, anything that had to do with change, or a new adventure, or a new beginning, or God has plans for you. He retweeted lots of that. That’s when I knew he was gone. Then it was confirmed to me a few days ago.

I’m assuming he had lots of help again in trying to get back and getting his grades right? That’s the more baffling part to me, that he could goof this up twice. Bum deal, heck of an athlete.
I don’t think Grizzh8r meant it as a compliment. He just stated of the two worst choices available, he would choose you. FTG1984 has regularly stated awful stuff. To be compared to him at all is a slap in the face.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:01 pm

I hope Chris can find his path in life and be successful. College is not for everyone. Maybe he can get a chance at a pro level league. College degree is not a requirement to play at a higher level. Before Troy arrived, the opposition and media regularly called Murray the best athlete on the field. He could be capable at wideout.

Can he try the JUCO route? Not to get a look by a D1 school, but to demonstrate his ability for the pros.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:16 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 pm
gotta love bobcatnation………

half of the "in the know" posters..... yup, he is back on the team!

The other half of the "in the know" posters... nope, he is off the team!

I'm gonna wait until there is some type of an official announcement.
I guess now you know which half are really “in the know.”
None of them. They were just the half that guessed it right this time.

Unless it comes directly from teams, coaches, Colter, or the players themselves, it means nothing.
Not quite, sometimes it pays to know the little people on campus too, like Carl,...the janitor... :wink:

Good luck to Mr Murray in whatever he wishes to pursue in life, and he will always be a Griz slayer.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Woodenshoe
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Woodenshoe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 am
Woodenshoe wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
Has anyone ever wondered how CM was able to get through High School early then end up not doing well in the class room in college? For the record I'm a fan of CM and was pulling for the kid.
High school classes are easier. High school football is easier. Doing high school classes and high school football is way easier than doing college classes and college football.
Yes I agree about the football part, and college academics should be more challenging than high school. However I'm just wondering if the public school system in his home town let Chris down. My experience is when kids finish high school early that generally is an indication that the kid is a bit smarter than the average teenager or at least has a greater drive. You hear all the time how kids are pushed through school and aren't really taught anything. Just kind of "move em along and get em out the door" mentality. I'm no genius, I've always just been average in school throughout my life and graduated from high school by the skin of my teeth because I looked at high school as more of a social event, but college for me didn't get challenging until I was a Junior at MSU, albeit I was 28 by then, with the exception of Econ 101 which threw me for a loop at the beginning till I got the hang of it with the help of a tutor. But something in CM's story prior to coming to MSU doesn't add up academics wise.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 am
Woodenshoe wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
Has anyone ever wondered how CM was able to get through High School early then end up not doing well in the class room in college? For the record I'm a fan of CM and was pulling for the kid.
High school classes are easier. High school football is easier. Doing high school classes and high school football is way easier than doing college classes and college football.
True, but if I'm not mistaken, he hasn't had to handle college classes and college football for the last year - just classes.

Regardless, thanks Chris and good luck.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm

If the plan is to keep Troy Anderson on defense regardless of the Murray news, then I think Jonsen should enter the QB competition. I'm not confident that he would win it, but the QB run game has been a vital aspect of our offense. To lose it almost entirely in favor of someone of Rovig's caliber is a little disconcerting.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm

I heard a rumor that Danny Velasquez is no longer listed on the Portland State roster. Might he be a possibility to join the Cats?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm
If the plan is to keep Troy Anderson on defense regardless of the Murray news, then I think Jonsen should enter the QB competition. I'm not confident that he would win it, but the QB run game has been a vital aspect of our offense. To lose it almost entirely in favor of someone of Rovig's caliber is a little disconcerting.
Rovig can be the starting QB and Troy/Travis can still touch the rock 10-15 times from the QB position on wildcat plays. It will still be a primary part of the offense...now Troy just won't be taking every actual snap.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Rovig can be the starting QB and Troy/Travis can still touch the rock 10-15 times from the QB position on wildcat plays. It will still be a primary part of the offense...now Troy just won't be taking every actual snap.
I agree with that. But for the sake of continuity within the offense, I'd prefer not to have a split like that. Though at this point, that might be the best option.

Are they still looking for any other QB options?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm

wapiti wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm
I heard a rumor that Danny Velasquez is no longer listed on the Portland State roster. Might he be a possibility to join the Cats?
He'd have to sit a year.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
I agree with that. But for the sake of continuity within the offense, I'd prefer not to have a split like that. Though at this point, that might be the best option.

If a legit dual-threat talent is looking to transfer, MSU will be interested. But Rovig is the leader in the clubhouse and can absolutely run a more balanced, efficient offense that Matt Miller wants to run. No...Tucker won't be running QB power but the kid is not a statue back there. The main takeaway here is if MSU can actually show a passing game next year, they are going to be hard to beat.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

If a legit dual-threat talent is looking to transfer, MSU will be interested. But Rovig is the leader in the clubhouse and can absolutely run a more balanced, efficient offense that Matt Miller wants to run. No...Tucker won't be running QB power but the kid is not a statue back there. The main takeaway here is if MSU can actually show a passing game next year, they are going to be hard to beat.
That's very true. I just have my doubts about him. I haven't seen much in the way of anticipation. And it says something to me that the Cats tried so hard to bring in/back other options (Jonsen last offseason, Jensen, the UCLA kid, and Murray this offseason) and they started a linebacker over him. Hopefully they just didn't think he was ready and now he is.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:54 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

That's very true. I just have my doubts about him. I haven't seen much in the way of anticipation. And it says something to me that the Cats tried so hard to bring in/back other options (Jonsen last offseason, Jensen, the UCLA kid, and Murray this offseason) and they started a linebacker over him. Hopefully they just didn't think he was ready and now he is.
Jonsen started out at Oregon, Jensen we all saw was a talented kid, Modster showed he could play well at the FBS level and TA is a freak athlete who Choate felt gave us the best chance to win until he was ready to put TR back there before he broke his foot last year. It's not like TR was behind a scrub and that Choate has been looking to bring in a scrub to compete for the QB job. Every guy rumored to have been looking at MSU has/had some damn good credentials.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

For as small of a sample size as it was, I watched every throw Tucker threw last year and I came away excited about what he could do with a few more starts. I saw anticipation, touch, an ability to throw the fastball when necessary, confidence, accountability, and most importantly I saw Tucker trusting his receivers to make plays by throwing the ball to them when they weren't necessarily open. Give the guys a chance to make a play. If he does start, he's going to make mistakes. He's going to throw that out route late and an interception may happen. He's going to get sacked and possibly fumble the ball. He's going to make a poor read and throw the ball into coverage. But guess what? Denarius made those same mistakes. Prukop made those mistakes. Lulay made those mistakes. All three of those guys got chances to correct them because they proved to be the guy the kids trusted in the huddle. Troy won the QB job last year because the kids trusted him to lead them. Tucker is heading into this third season and has improved his leadership ability leaps and bounds since his true freshman season. The kid has turned into a man and he is visibly ready to lead this group. He and Matt Miller have a good connection. Also, Choate will always bring in competition to make his roster better. Tucker could have a great season this fall and Choate is still going to go after the Gresch Jensen and Devon Modster's of the world. My money is on Tucker winning the job and I'm excited to watch him blossom into the steady QB this offense desperately needs to take MSU deeper into the playoffs.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

I am still curious on how this whole transfer portal thing is going to work and baffled at some of the names still on it without a team. I mean we are in June and there are still four 4-star QBs, 9 3-star QBs and too many to count 2-star QBs that still haven't signed with a new team. Some of 3-star QBs that HAVE signed (NorthWestern, Chatanooga, William & Mary, Portland State, Wagner, East Tennesee State) have signed with FCS schools. You would think MSU would be very appealing to the ones left this late in the game. I know it's more about fit, character and mutual interest than Choate just picking a kid from the transfer portal and he isn't going to just take a transfer for the sake of taking one, I just find it interesting is all. BTW I am very confident on Rovig taking the reigns this year and would not shock me a bit if he takes the next step.

On a related note to the transfer portal, have Metcalf and Duru found new homes for this season? I haven't heard anything, I wonder if they are second guessing this choice at all..........

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm
For as small of a sample size as it was, I watched every throw Tucker threw last year and I came away excited about what he could do with a few more starts. I saw anticipation, touch, an ability to throw the fastball when necessary, confidence, accountability, and most importantly I saw Tucker trusting his receivers to make plays by throwing the ball to them when they weren't necessarily open. Give the guys a chance to make a play. If he does start, he's going to make mistakes. He's going to throw that out route late and an interception may happen. He's going to get sacked and possibly fumble the ball. He's going to make a poor read and throw the ball into coverage. But guess what? Denarius made those same mistakes. Prukop made those mistakes. Lulay made those mistakes. All three of those guys got chances to correct them because they proved to be the guy the kids trusted in the huddle. Troy won the QB job last year because the kids trusted him to lead them. Tucker is heading into this third season and has improved his leadership ability leaps and bounds since his true freshman season. The kid has turned into a man and he is visibly ready to lead this group. He and Matt Miller have a good connection. Also, Choate will always bring in competition to make his roster better. Tucker could have a great season this fall and Choate is still going to go after the Gresch Jensen and Devon Modster's of the world. My money is on Tucker winning the job and I'm excited to watch him blossom into the steady QB this offense desperately needs to take MSU deeper into the playoffs.
We are basically talking about two games-- SDSU and Wagner.

Rovig was pretty bad against the Jacks. I don't recall specifics, but obviously the outcome was poor. In fairness, that's a high end opponent.

The results were sterling against Wagner. The optimism around him derives largely from this one game. What I recall from it was a lot of check downs and jump balls, which you alluded to. But I came away feeling like most of the chunk plays had more to do with Kassis' excellence and some of the worst DB play you'll see at this level than with great quarterbacking. That was my honest impression watching it live. Those Wagner defensive backs had no ball skills. They couldn't play with their back to the LOS. Full disclosure, I was not able to go back and rewatch it. But suffice it to say, I didn't see the traits you mentioned other than the comment on trusting his receivers.

But hey, he's young and he could be great. I'm certainly not rooting against him. I sincerely hope he improves and that he can lead them deeper into the playoffs-- though I think that has more to do with avoiding NDSU in the 2nd round than it does with Rovig starting.

EDIT: Forgot to add this-- I'm sure you're right and that Choate is always going to be bringing in competition, but I have a hard time believing that he would go this hard after a QB transfer if he was as confident in Rovig as you are. Just my opinion.
Last edited by RobertoGato on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

I am still curious on how this whole transfer portal thing is going to work and baffled at some of the names still on it without a team. I mean we are in June and there are still four 4-star QBs, 9 3-star QBs and too many to count 2-star QBs that still haven't signed with a new team. Some of 3-star QBs that HAVE signed (NorthWestern, Chatanooga, William & Mary, Portland State, Wagner, East Tennesee State) have signed with FCS schools. You would think MSU would be very appealing to the ones left this late in the game. I know it's more about fit, character and mutual interest than Choate just picking a kid from the transfer portal and he isn't going to just take a transfer for the sake of taking one, I just find it interesting is all. BTW I am very confident on Rovig taking the reigns this year and would not shock me a bit if he takes the next step.

On a related note to the transfer portal, have Metcalf and Duru found new homes for this season? I haven't heard anything, I wonder if they are second guessing this choice at all..........
Respect their decision! Gods plan!