Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 am

Absolutely ridiculous that Chrishon Dixon and Brody Grebe didn't make this list. Widely regarded as Top 5 players in the state. They literally just picked AA kids and then chose Caleb (which was likely boosted by him signing with MSU).
That list is a complete joke.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 am
VimSince03 wrote:

Absolutely ridiculous that Chrishon Dixon and Brody Grebe didn't make this list. Widely regarded as Top 5 players in the state. They literally just picked AA kids and then chose Caleb (which was likely boosted by him signing with MSU).
These lists and teams always are. The coaches basically pick who they want half the time. And usually it's a AA coach, so they're picking AA kids. Obviously Wes isn't going to pass on Bellach, but the rest of those smaller school kids obviously can't play. :roll:

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

These lists and teams always are. The coaches basically pick who they want half the time. And usually it's a AA coach, so they're picking AA kids. Obviously Wes isn't going to pass on Bellach, but the rest of those smaller school kids obviously can't play. :roll:
I don’t think Wes picked that team. Honestly I don’t think anyone in MT picked it. I assume that’s why it’s so off.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I don’t think Wes picked that team. Honestly I don’t think anyone in MT picked it. I assume that’s why it’s so off.
I wondered the same thing, if it was picked by somebody who hasn't set foot in a Montana gym. Kind of like the star ratings for recruits--some weird metric that makes it possible to rank from the other side of the planet without much info.

Either way it's a pet peeve of mine when some of the better players don't get recognition because they're at smaller schools or the coach of the all star team doesn't care for them as a player or whatever it is.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I wondered the same thing, if it was picked by somebody who hasn't set foot in a Montana gym. Kind of like the star ratings for recruits--some weird metric that makes it possible to rank from the other side of the planet without much info.

Either way it's a pet peeve of mine when some of the better players don't get recognition because they're at smaller schools or the coach of the all star team doesn't care for them as a player or whatever it is.
So...Who on the first team would you replace? My guess is you would say Simpson and Thelen, and I can see the argument for both, but they both were two of the best in the state at their positions...Lonergan, Worster, and Bellach are all for sure 1st team players... Simpson would have been a no-brainer, but he missed a chunk because of injury, and at his position, there were few that were better...

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

So...Who on the first team would you replace? My guess is you would say Simpson and Thelen, and I can see the argument for both, but they both were two of the best in the state at their positions...Lonergan, Worster, and Bellach are all for sure 1st team players... Simpson would have been a no-brainer, but he missed a chunk because of injury, and at his position, there were few that were better...
I think Simpson and Thelen could be argued, and I also think I'd be fine if the second team had some non-AA kids. I've seen Camdyn Larance play a few times and he's not better than Jack Lincoln at Loyola. Or Dixon, or Grebe, or Greg Whitesell out of Arlee, or maybe even Hunter Omlid from Hamilton. I think Larance will be at Hellgate next year so we'll see I guess. Abe Johnson could be replaced with Jaden Graham from Lewistown, IMO. I don't think there's a better shooter in MT than Ryggs Johnston out of Libby, and if there is it's probably Sayer Patton from Choteau. I'd put Anders Epperly up against anybody, but admittedly I'm a little biased there (although he's been on the super state team two years in a row).

There are some really good basketball players at smaller schools in Montana and this particular team glaringly omitted a lot of them. I'm not saying the aforementioned players should make up the whole team, or even half of it, I'd just like to see a little representation.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:12 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 pm

I think Simpson and Thelen could be argued, and I also think I'd be fine if the second team had some non-AA kids. I've seen Camdyn Larance play a few times and he's not better than Jack Lincoln at Loyola. Or Dixon, or Grebe, or Greg Whitesell out of Arlee, or maybe even Hunter Omlid from Hamilton. I think Larance will be at Hellgate next year so we'll see I guess. Abe Johnson could be replaced with Jaden Graham from Lewistown, IMO. I don't think there's a better shooter in MT than Ryggs Johnston out of Libby, and if there is it's probably Sayer Patton from Choteau. I'd put Anders Epperly up against anybody, but admittedly I'm a little biased there (although he's been on the super state team two years in a row).

There are some really good basketball players at smaller schools in Montana and this particular team glaringly omitted a lot of them. I'm not saying the aforementioned players should make up the whole team, or even half of it, I'd just like to see a little representation.
I agree with you on all accounts. Those players should have been on 2nd team, or at least some of them should have been... I can see Grebe or Dixon taking Thelen spot on 1st team.