Sentinel recruiting?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Sentinel recruiting?

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 am

Apparently Sentinel recruited a football player from another high school to play for the Spartans. I’m okay with kids moving to other schools if they think it’s a better fit, but I don’t like coaches poaching players from other teams or players moving to stack a team (I don’t think that’s the case here).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sentinel recruiting?

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 am

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 am

This will be the new centerpiece at high school booster meetings.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 am
Apparently Sentinel recruited a football player from another high school to play for the Spartans. I’m okay with kids moving to other schools if they think it’s a better fit, but I don’t like coaches poaching players from other teams or players moving to stack a team (I don’t think that’s the case here).
That big 'ole $100 fine is sure a deterrent! :roll:

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 am

Players move all the time to pursue better opportunities. I wish kids had some loyalty to their team and their school and their town, but I don't blame them because there's so much at stake, especially for a kid like Jaxon. Fair enough.

Big schools get word of these kids wanting to move and they start calling them and offering them a spot on their team. I was the AD at a Class B school and a nearby AA school's football coach sent a text to a stud 8th grader at my school asking what his favorite number was. The kid responded, and the coach sent him a picture of the brand new uniform in that number. The kid stayed at my school and had a great career but he was pursued hard by the bigger schools in the area. I've seen HS coaches from the big schools walk up to middle schoolers at 3 on 3 tournaments asking them to consider playing for their school because they'd get better opportunities. Talk to a MS or HS kid at a small school and tempt him with some new swag and uniforms and facilities, and it's hard to turn down. In these cases, I think most people would agree recruiting is wrong and should be illegal.

In Jaxon's case, it seems he wanted to move. That doesn't mean he wasn't recruited though. HS seniors WANT to go to college, but the colleges still recruit. Murmurs of this go on all the time and the MHSA hears about them and investigates every case that is reported. Maybe sometimes they turn a blind eye, but I think more of the time it's just hard to prove.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:15 am

So he was looking to transfer, which in my opinion makes it okay for a coach to pass along the positives of attending his school. I’m not sure why the MHSA has levied a fine unless they prohibit any contact with a student who is transferring. That would be understandable since the student probably doesn’t need to deal with that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Of the few recruiting situations I'm familiar with Mom and Dad were the focus of the recruiting efforts at least as much as the athlete. Things like a coach sees a kid he would really like to have and finds out Dad works at the ford dealer in another town so coach mentions it to his buddy who hires for the ford dealer in his town that Dad would be a great hire... I'm sure that recruiting goes from pretty mild and harmless to very aggressive. Where the "do not cross this line" line should be drawn I don't know but I'm sure that a $100 fine is not much of a line but still a little embarrassing.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

There should be a high school "portal".

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:17 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm
There should be a high school "portal".
And a few years from now, a middle school portal. Soon after, we'll have grade schoolers picking their school based on who has the best football team. It's gonna be sweet.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 pm

This is the result of open enrollment in Missoula public schools, you can send you're kid to any high school you want to :shock:

Naturally everyone want to play on a winning team, how do you think the Sentinel girls basketball team has done so well over the years, just keep recruiting the best players in town :)