Sprinkle is sitting pretty good thanks to Fish

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Sprinkle is sitting pretty good thanks to Fish

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm

One of the things that has to have made the MSU job attractive to people who seriously looked at the job is that coach Fish left this program A LOT BETTER than when he took the job. We have one of the top 5 or 6 players in the conference returning. We return 8 of our 12 players and we have a pretty nice recruiting class, most of whom have committed to honoring their LOI. I look at the 11 guys mentioned above and everyone of them is a legit D-1 player. We could not say any of these thing 5 years ago when Fish took over for Huse. That group of players was a hard working bunch, but had some questionable D-1 talent in their ranks. Fish also had to scramble to fill 4 open scholarship spots. thanks to Fish Danny has only two to fill a very manageable task. This is all thanks to Brian Fish. Danny has a real chance of having a winning record his first season, something neither Fish nor Huse had a snow balls chance in hell to do. Of course to do that Danny will need more than Fish's personnel Danny is going to have to really coach up this team. So hats off to Brian Fish, he could not get us over the hump, but he seriously up graded our talent.

BTW: As I have said earlier, and continue to hear from other sources today, those two scholarships Danny has, are already committed and will be filled by impact players the April 17th the first day signing period.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sprinkle is sitting pretty good thanks to Fish

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Who do you see starting next year? I guess I'm not as optimistic.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm

mslacat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm
One of the things that has to have made the MSU job attractive to people who seriously looked at the job is that coach Fish left this program A LOT BETTER than when he took the job. We have one of the top 5 or 6 players in the conference returning. We return 8 of our 12 players and we have a pretty nice recruiting class, most of whom have committed to honoring their LOI. I look at the 11 guys mentioned above and everyone of them is a legit D-1 player. We could not say any of these thing 5 years ago when Fish took over for Huse. That group of players was a hard working bunch, but had some questionable D-1 talent in their ranks. Fish also had to scramble to fill 4 open scholarship spots. thanks to Fish Danny has only two to fill a very manageable task. This is all thanks to Brian Fish. Danny has a real chance of having a winning record his first season, something neither Fish nor Huse had a snow balls chance in hell to do. Of course to do that Danny will need more than Fish's personnel Danny is going to have to really coach up this team. So hats off to Brian Fish, he could not get us over the hump, but he seriously up graded our talent.

BTW: As I have said earlier, and continue to hear from other sources today, those two scholarships Danny has, are already committed and will be filled by impact players the April 17th the first day signing period.
I agree. Thank you Coach Fish. The program is in much better shape than it was when you took the reins.

I like choice of Coach Sprinkle and I am optimistic about the 2019-20 season. GO CATS!!!

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice to see all the positive comments on Fish....... I’m not sure if the talent level is all that great, but excited for the future!

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 am

Good thread....and I agree...the cupboard's not bare. Sprinkle has some things to work with...thanks to Coach Fish. I'm not expecting miracles next year, but hoping the Cats can continue to improve.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm
I'll take a stab, although mslacat will no doubt have a better handle on it: daniels frey belo kirby and one of those new sprinkle commits. Daniels could be replaced by a new player also, but it doesn't hurt us if he starts at least at the beginning of the year. Hoping for development from Quinlan and Guliford.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:55 am

I think that given Danny's background he will enjoy a nice "honeymoon" period and I believe that MSU will be very
patient in giving him time to build the program. Having said that I expect the Cats to drop in the Big Sky standings
next season. Hope I'm wrong, but if we couldn't do any better than middle of the pack with the lineup we had, that
included the best player MSU has ever had, then I am not optimistic for improvement right away .

I hope Danny will be successful. He certainly has my support and I will be patient. I don't expect miracles to happen
right away.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:19 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm
I'll take a stab, although mslacat will no doubt have a better handle on it: daniels frey belo kirby and one of those new sprinkle commits. Daniels could be replaced by a new player also, but it doesn't hurt us if he starts at least at the beginning of the year. Hoping for development from Quinlan and Guliford.
Here is my really early starting 5

Daniels/Lassi
Frey
Ricketts
Quinlan/Guliford
Kirby

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 am

Well pencil Bonton in if the rumors are true he's coming back.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am

Hmm, I wonder how Frey will feel about them opening the door for the guy who left because he didn't get to take his spot.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am
Hmm, I wonder how Frey will feel about them opening the door for the guy who left because he didn't get to take his spot.
That's what I was thinking too. Not sure if him coming back would be a good or bad thing.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 am
technoCat wrote:
That's what I was thinking too. Not sure if him coming back would be a good or bad thing.
Where was I reading or listening about how Bonton's side of the story doesn't exactly mesh with that side. Argh I can't remember.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am

technoCat wrote:
I would assume this was discussed at least to some extent during the interview process, especially as Frey was on the search committee. My guess is that as a returning second-team all Big Sky player, he'd be comfortable enough with his spot in the starting five to be fine with Bonton returning.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am
technoCat wrote:
I would assume this was discussed at least to some extent during the interview process, especially as Frey was on the search committee. My guess is that as a returning second-team all Big Sky player, he'd be comfortable enough with his spot in the starting five to be fine with Bonton returning.
I'm not sure Bonton, a player at another school, would've been discussed at all at Sprinkle's job interview. I could be wrong.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am
technoCat wrote:
I'm wasn't implying he would be worried about his job, I was wondering how they will get along. If they are the starting guards they are going to have to develop chemistry and that might be hard to do for them if any of the rumors about why Bonton left were true.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm

technoCat wrote:
Frey and Bonton are great friends! Bonton has said that Frey was his best friend on the team when he was here. If you go back and look on Bonton's Twitter feed you will find every time Frey was a POW award Bonton was re-tweeting with words of encouragement for Frey. Bonton's also has taken great exception to the idea that he left because Fish pushed about Bonton wanting Frey's starting spot. Bonton wanted to play with Frey not instead of Frey. In short the Frey Bonton feud did not exist. If anything Frey is one of the key reasons Bonton wants to return.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Getting Bonton back would be HUGE. I'm stoked for that.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:20 pm

My level of excitement for this hire is a lot more than it was when Fish was hired. I knew Fish's first season was going to be rough. No amount of recruiting was going turn it around quickly. Sprinkle, on the other hand, does have some pieces to work with in this team. I don't want to count our chickens yet, but if the Casper College staff and recruits come through-this bunch will be pretty good right off the bat.
My prediction for a starting lineup: Guard-Frey, Guard-new guy, Small Forward-Ricketts,Power Forward-new guy, Center Kirby.
I think Kirby and Belo will platoon at center much the same way Binford platoons Madeline Smith and Blair Braxton for our women's team. That will keep them fresh and out of foul trouble. I think Zeke Quinlan could make a move at power forward. He showed some flashes last season. He's a big kid and he has some skill. I see Caleb Bellach as being Ricketts understudy. Guliford needs to find a consistent jumper if he's going to fit in Sprinkle's system-it will be interesting see him develop.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:29 am

You might recognize the name:

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:35 am

One possible starter not mentioned is Mychael Paulo from Dickinson St I believe. Have we heard if he is still planning on coming to MSU with the coaching change?

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96