New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: New head coach search

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:52 am

imacat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 pm
If MSU is able to land somebody good, they won't be here long, because everybody will know they did something incredible in a place that's hard to do anything. We can just hope for coaches moving the needle steadily and for each coach to leave MSU better than it was when they got there. I believe Brian Fish did that and I believe the next coach will do it too.
If whoever is hired is lured away from Montana State and takes another coaching opportunity I will be overjoyed. The last time I recall this happening was in the 1960s - Jim Sweeney (football) left MSU to coach Washington State.
[/quote]

This times 1,000

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 am

imacat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 pm
If whoever is hired is lured away from Montana State and takes another coaching opportunity I will be overjoyed. The last time I recall this happening was in the 1960s - Jim Sweeney (football) left MSU to coach Washington State.
Starner was hired by UTSA...still that was 30 years ago.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 am

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 am

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 pm

I am not picking the best candidate, but Shaw’s resume is impressive.

https://wouwolves.com/coaches.aspx?rc=824&path=mbball

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 pm

I certainly hope you're not picking the best candidate, unless you're Nico Harrison or have extensively consulted him.

Shaw was an assistant for Durham for two seasons in the early '90s. Am I remembering correctly that he interviewed for the MSU job when Fish was ultimately hired?

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:02 pm

I would be happy with either Shaw or Sprinkler, but I really think Sprinkle would assist with the Montana legacy and him bringing us back would be much more satisfying for Montana State. Shaws resume is impressive, but I don't know enough about him. We will see and either way looking forward to next year!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:37 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:

I certainly hope you're not picking the best candidate, unless you're Nico Harrison or have extensively consulted him.

Shaw was an assistant for Durham for two seasons in the early '90s. Am I remembering correctly that he interviewed for the MSU job when Fish was ultimately hired?
Nico’s secretary put me on hold so I mentioned Phat Cat and she hung up???....

All three look like good candidates. Each should have solid recruiting connections In their current regions: Northwest, California and Utah.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 pm

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Jim or Danny would be great picks. @ MSU01. F' off.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:11 pm
Jim or Danny would be great picks. @ MSU01. F' off.
:lol:

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:

As much as I love Danny and it would be awesome to have a Bobcat great come back and coach, just one glance at Shaw's resume tells me that he might be the guy. He's been a winner everywhere he's coached, has experience with the Big Sky as he coached at Idaho State, comes from the Pacific Northwest where we should be recruiting heavily, and has tremendous experience coaching teams in the Big Dance. He would have to be a front runner in my opinion.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Dear God, please - not another griz assistant! Our program hasn't recovered from the last one we hired to be head coach.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Dear God, please - not another griz assistant! Our program hasn't recovered from the last one we hired to be head coach.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Anacomando

Post by Anacomando » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:44 am

I want Danny Sprinkle. He is a damn good coach. He is a Montanan and he was a hell of a player. I'll be extremely disappointed if he is not the guy. That is nothing on the other candidates, but I cannot think of a better overall fit!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:39 am

Among the confirmed three finalists, I am going to put my stock in Danny Sprinkle. Jim Shaw is a close second. I know a lot of people have a hard time with the idea of former Griz assistant Andy Hill, but I have seen him listed in numerous articles as one of the up and comers among west coach assistant coaches, I would listen and if he was chosen I would not get my panties in a bundle. The names of the two other finalists could change my mind. Also the speeches the candidates give can have a big impact on swaying the the committee. I remember when Feilds used to have the candidates address the media/boosters/and fans in an open forum, listening to those candidates did have an impact, I kind of miss that,

All that said I refer to my post of a couple days ago. I have a track record of picking basketball coaches that is truely awful.

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:34 am

Justin Wetzel and the entire staff he was on got fired yesterday. Looney must not have made the cut.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am

I hope Danny Sprinkle is the choice. As a Montana kid, he'll get the benefit of the doubt if things aren't going as well as people hope during a season, which is most likely going to happen at some point. As I have maintained, the key to Montana State growing is going to be slow, steady growth.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am

phantom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am
I hope Danny Sprinkle is the choice. As a Montana kid, he'll get the benefit of the doubt if things aren't going as well as people hope during a season, which is most likely going to happen at some point. As I have maintained, the key to Montana State growing is going to be slow, steady growth.
No doubt you worded this this way after much thought. I'd say I completely disagree.

Guys like Fish and Huse were not given the benefit of the doubt because they weren't from Montana. In fact, I'd go ahead and maintain that they DID get the benefit of the doubt throughout their tenure. Had I been the AD neither one of them would have been coaching as long as they did.

I understand your take that MSU is a lousy job and no coach will have success here. And if they do have a sliver of success it won't be after years of trying. So we MSU basketball fans should just be content and happy to watch mediocre ball and never compete for conference titles. But I just refuse to think that way.

I'm so tired of the mentality that football is this huge powerhouse with national championship aspirations and hoops is the stupid little brother uncapable of success. I don't understand why fans shouldn't expect our basketball teams to be successful. And to be clear, no one is sitting here saying we need to be the next Gonzaga or should be as good as a blue blood. But come on. We shouldn't expect to beat the Griz? We shouldn't expect to win a regular season title? We shouldn't expect to win our conference tourney more than once in 25 years?! I completely disagree.

To take this a step farther, I'll say that my biggest fear with hiring Sprinkle is that he WON'T be successful. I'd feel terrible if that was the case. He's an all-time great at MSU. To see his legacy tarnished would bother me. And despite what you think, if he has identical success as Huse or even Fish in the same amount of years they were given....his seat will also be hot. As it should be.

I simply do not believe that Bozeman Montana and MSU is such an impossible place to recruit to and for coaches to have success that we shouldn't expect to ever be competitive in a very average Big Sky conference.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am
phantom wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am
No doubt you worded this this way after much thought. I'd say I completely disagree.

Guys like Fish and Huse were not given the benefit of the doubt because they weren't from Montana. In fact, I'd go ahead and maintain that they DID get the benefit of the doubt throughout their tenure. Had I been the AD neither one of them would have been coaching as long as they did.

I understand your take that MSU is a lousy job and no coach will have success here. And if they do have a sliver of success it won't be after years of trying. So we MSU basketball fans should just be content and happy to watch mediocre ball and never compete for conference titles. But I just refuse to think that way.

I'm so tired of the mentality that football is this huge powerhouse with national championship aspirations and hoops is the stupid little brother uncapable of success. I don't understand why fans shouldn't expect our basketball teams to be successful. And to be clear, no one is sitting here saying we need to be the next Gonzaga or should be as good as a blue blood. But come on. We shouldn't expect to beat the Griz? We shouldn't expect to win a regular season title? We shouldn't expect to win our conference tourney more than once in 25 years?! I completely disagree.

To take this a step farther, I'll say that my biggest fear with hiring Sprinkle is that he WON'T be successful. I'd feel terrible if that was the case. He's an all-time great at MSU. To see his legacy tarnished would bother me. And despite what you think, if he has identical success as Huse or even Fish in the same amount of years they were given....his seat will also be hot. As it should be.

I simply do not believe that Bozeman Montana and MSU is such an impossible place to recruit to and for coaches to have success that we shouldn't expect to ever be competitive in a very average Big Sky conference.
Completely agree with every single thing in this post.

GO CATS GO!!!