South gym roof collapse

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

South gym roof collapse

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: South gym roof collapse

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 am

Could you imagine had this happened during intramurals or at noon! So very fortunate!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:04 am

Heavy snow load?

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 am

wow...….. that could have been really... REAALLY bad...

kinda reminds me of when the Rbar blew up, can only imagine how terrible that would have been if it had happened during business hours.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

And Old ass Romney Gym over across the street laughing and singing “I’m still standing”

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

Romney has a domed roof. That flat roof on south gym has leaked off and on for 30 years.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:01 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am
Romney has a domed roof. That flat roof on south gym has leaked off and on for 30 years.
IF you build a flat roof, ( and they did ), in a region with the potential for snow loads (which Bozeman has), you better make sure it can handle the loads ( which they didn't) otherwise its going to bite you in the butt (which it has)!

I am not a fan of flat roofs ever....but in Montana, though you save $$ initially you can end up paying more over the life of the construction. I hope this causes some introspection on future plans for any new construction on campus!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 pm

now if only it would snow enough that all those old, rusty bleachers in the football stadium would collapse...…………….

[-o< [-o< [-o<

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:11 pm

So that looks really bad, and scary. Is this a situation where had there been an event there, tourney, practice, etc (Not sure if this even happens?), could this have been a catastrophe with a bunch of fatalities? If so, whoever did the last inspection there is going to be in some serious trouble.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 pm
now if only it would snow enough that all those old, rusty bleachers in the football stadium would collapse...…………….

[-o< [-o< [-o<
Well...those bleachers are almost exactly the same age as that gym so...better safe than sorry-better replace them tout de suite!

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm

I have worked on that building over the years and it was a very poorly designed building from the start. It has wood trusses instead of steel ,masonry is stack bond and not fully grouted and I believe it was only a 6inch CMU.
From the pictures,the wood trusses must of failed in the center of the gym pulling the top of walls inward. I would guess the rest of the building is in the same condition because of the same design, and it wouldn't take much to put the whole thing on the ground. The upper gym, where the tennis courts and running track are located. The walls were leaning outward by a couple of inches,15 years ago. The wood trusses were secured to the exterior masonry in an upgrade ...… looks like it worked well,instead of the walls going out it pulled everything in....

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Embarrassing.

Flat roofs in this area are just a huge no-no...and then they clearly didn't engineer it well. Somebody should be fired.

Lucky nobody was in it.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:40 pm

MSU is posting updates at http://www.montana.edu/communications/s ... lapse.html for those that would like to keep in the know.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Easier way to start the indoor practice facilities, better location? Just saying, lets look at this in a positive light!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm
I have worked on that building over the years and it was a very poorly designed building from the start. It has wood trusses instead of steel ,masonry is stack bond and not fully grouted and I believe it was only a 6inch CMU.
From the pictures,the wood trusses must of failed in the center of the gym pulling the top of walls inward. I would guess the rest of the building is in the same condition because of the same design, and it wouldn't take much to put the whole thing on the ground. The upper gym, where the tennis courts and running track are located. The walls were leaning outward by a couple of inches,15 years ago. The wood trusses were secured to the exterior masonry in an upgrade ...… looks like it worked well,instead of the walls going out it pulled everything in....
Built in 1973 for cheap. Not the best era in building construction on campus...or anywhere.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm

I thought MSU was an Engineering School, as well as Architectural School. I know Bozeman is a relatively heavy snow area. :-k Are both schools fully accredited? Just joking.
Looks like whomever was the Architect and whomever did the Engineering have a lot to answer for in the coming months.
Freaky winter, no chinooks for the past month. Go figure, with Bozeman on the EASTSLOPES of the Rocky Mountains, no EASTSLOPE chinook winds(emphasis for those on the school board, and outlanders).

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:04 pm

The good lord was watching above; what are the odds that it collapses when no one is there. Huge break for students and faculty. Wow. I just can't get over how fortunate that no one was around....

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:09 pm

I wonder if there's any security camera footage of it coming down.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm
I thought MSU was an Engineering School, as well as Architectural School. I know Bozeman is a relatively heavy snow area. :-k Are both schools fully accredited? Just joking.
Looks like whomever was the Architect and whomever did the Engineering have a lot to answer for in the coming months.
Freaky winter, no chinooks for the past month. Go figure, with Bozeman on the EASTSLOPES of the Rocky Mountains, no EASTSLOPE chinook winds(emphasis for those on the school board, and outlanders).
MSU's buildings can kill you quicker than UM's I guess: https://www.kulr8.com/news/high-levels- ... be57f.html

I doubt the engineers and architects of record (who may or may not have been MSU grads) are still practicing. I guess we'll find out eventually.

What a mess.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Amen that it happened at 2 AM! My son plays Bball in there quite often. He, his fellow students, staff and the school are EXTREMELEY FORTUNATE!

I know it's been there for a long long time. If it has been there since 1973 that's ~46 years, it may be that it isn't a design or construction issue but rather a maintenance/inspection issue. It could simply have been a fluke as well. Although there is a hell of a lot of snow in Bozeman, I'm guessing over the years there has been more at times. The cause is something that most likely will be able to be determined I believe. I wish them luck in their investigation and whatever protocols that come of this that will prevent these kind of things from happening in the future.