Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 am
RobertCats wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am
Soooooo, who is starting the GoFundMe page?
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
At $50 per pop it will only take 120,000 alumni to get this thing done... assuming we need another $6 MM or so.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am

So if we do the end zone project (which would be great) but not replace the east side stands how would that look? You would have a mismatch at both ends. So rusty stands that don't line up with both end zones and gaps in between. Does that really help us much?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:13 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 am
I have a feeling that we must be close to having the money for phase 1. I am thinking that we will soon be seeing construction begin on the North Endzone. My only question, how long will it take to complete this? Would it be done by the time the season starts? Anyone know how long UM’s weight/locker room building took?
The end zone facility will probably take close to a year to complete. The similar griz center took two years to complete.
It will be well over a year. Final architectural design and final engineering contracts still need to be awarded and arch/engr work completed. You don't award those until you are fairly certain (or should I say certain) that you have money in hand... (BTW, if you see those being awarded you will know we are getting close on the funding... or at least on the last leg of funding). Then you have the wonderful Bozeman permitting process - NOT... I wander if we will hear from our friendly neighborhood supporters as that process goes through. Then you have to bid construction contracts and award key construction management and contractors. Contractors have to internally "gear up" their workforces after award. Then you have demo of existing north end facilities. All these take months...not days.. it is not a "flip the switch" and shovel work starts. So my "good" scenario says shovels in the ground after season next fall but if you announce next week the money is in hand.... well maybe.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am

gtapp wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am
So if we do the end zone project (which would be great) but not replace the east side stands how would that look? You would have a mismatch at both ends. So rusty stands that don't line up with both end zones and gaps in between. Does that really help us much?
The conceptual drawing are all on line in the facilities plan documents so you can view... link provided in other parts of several threads.

It doesn't look bad based on what I saw. But then they are artist drawing. In reality probably not look "fancy" but functional.

And future parts of plans will take care of east stands. Just where you prioritize it. I am sure if someone wanted to cough up $100mm they would address it all now. I like the long term plan, I just am lacking even $100k to help fund it.

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am

I understand the needs to upgrade the stadium, but I'm not sure it should be the priority over an indoor practice facility. In Choate's press conference yesterday he made a point to discuss the issues with kids from warmer climates who come here, then decide in the middle of winter they don't want to stay here because of the cold and darkness. He was pretty emphatic about that and how he counsels player's parents during recruitment about this issue.
My thought is the indoor practice facility would be a possible cure for this issue, especially if it can be large enough and a multi-purpose facility. I would think it would be a great mental-health aid - a warm & well lit place to shake off the winter doldrums and engage in some physical exercise activities beyond just weight training. It would certainly make the long, cold winter more tolerable for many.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up as an example in the past, but take a look at "The Dome" in Anchorage, AK (https://thedome.us/). This is a multi-use facility that is run as a commercial enterprise operated by a 501(c3). If we had something similar, the possibilities are huge. We could even consider having an indoor softball field included for adding a fastpitch softball program.
Pie in the sky? Of course. But is it not worth taking a look at, considering all of the challenges we face with bringing warm-climate players here to play, the mental health benefits, and the multitude of uses it could offer to the school and community?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:37 am

cat-o-nine wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am
I understand the needs to upgrade the stadium, but I'm not sure it should be the priority over an indoor practice facility. In Choate's press conference yesterday he made a point to discuss the issues with kids from warmer climates who come here, then decide in the middle of winter they don't want to stay here because of the cold and darkness. He was pretty emphatic about that and how he counsels player's parents during recruitment about this issue.
My thought is the indoor practice facility would be a possible cure for this issue, especially if it can be large enough and a multi-purpose facility. I would think it would be a great mental-health aid - a warm & well lit place to shake off the winter doldrums and engage in some physical exercise activities beyond just weight training. It would certainly make the long, cold winter more tolerable for many.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up as an example in the past, but take a look at "The Dome" in Anchorage, AK (https://thedome.us/). This is a multi-use facility that is run as a commercial enterprise operated by a 501(c3). If we had something similar, the possibilities are huge. We could even consider having an indoor softball field included for adding a fastpitch softball program.
Pie in the sky? Of course. But is it not worth taking a look at, considering all of the challenges we face with bringing warm-climate players here to play, the mental health benefits, and the multitude of uses it could offer to the school and community?
I know Kramer always said the indoor facility was his top priority partly for the reasons you stated. The other was not getting enough work done in the spring due to weather.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:37 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am
AFCAT wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
At $50 per pop it will only take 120,000 alumni to get this thing done... assuming we need another $6 MM or so.
Yup, impossible. Let’s quit.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am
The conceptual drawing are all on line in the facilities plan documents so you can view... link provided in other parts of several threads.

It doesn't look bad based on what I saw. But then they are artist drawing. In reality probably not look "fancy" but functional.

And future parts of plans will take care of east stands. Just where you prioritize it. I am sure if someone wanted to cough up $100mm they would address it all now. I like the long term plan, I just am lacking even $100k to help fund it.
Phase 1 is the football operations building. It does not technically have anything to do with the stadium.

It’s going to be built in place of the current buildings that are in the north end zone, but for the purposes of this plan, this is not a football stadium item.

The first thing they’re going to officially do to the stadium is replace the east bleachers. But this is after the operations building and I believe maybe even after the indoor practice facility, so yes, years away.

So phase 1 of the football stadium is the east bleachers, but this is really something like phase 3 or 4 of the entire athletic plan.

Phase 2 of the stadium is to bowl in the north end zone, between the new operations building and the field. Then phase 3 of the stadium, which I believe is the final phase of this whole plan, so 20 years away in theory, is to renovate and add on to the Sky Boxes on the West sideline.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am

cat-o-nine wrote:
It's already been decided that the north end zone facility is phase 1. This building includes not just football offices but a full workout facility, which will match the griz "we used to be champions" center. Then the former football offices in the fieldhouse will be converted to additional study areas for all student-athletes.
This is phase 1, and for better or worse, it's already decided.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:37 am
BobcatDel wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Who said quit? Nobody but you.

Lets get real. You need the big donors then you fill in with the GoFundMe type donors. I've said it numerous times on several threads. Its how it works like it or not.

I want the alumni foundation, athletics, and Cruzado to spend their time/effort to get the big donation, the naming rights donation, etc. to fund this. Once they are anchored then going to the masses to finish off the funding is totally what you need. Others can contribute as they want and as they are able but their focus is directed in the right spot now.

Or you could start the legislative action to get the state to allow Bozeman to start a tax to fund the Bobcat facilities expansion... like NDSU did... or maybe you don't want to pursue that? Probably just quit on that one huh?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:54 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 am

$50/month for 5 years by 2000 donors is $6mil. What do folks spend for their phones?

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:27 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:37 am
BobcatDel wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Who said quit? Nobody but you.

Lets get real. You need the big donors then you fill in with the GoFundMe type donors. I've said it numerous times on several threads. Its how it works like it or not.

I want the alumni foundation, athletics, and Cruzado to spend their time/effort to get the big donation, the naming rights donation, etc. to fund this. Once they are anchored then going to the masses to finish off the funding is totally what you need. Others can contribute as they want and as they are able but their focus is directed in the right spot now.

Or you could start the legislative action to get the state to allow Bozeman to start a tax to fund the Bobcat facilities expansion... like NDSU did... or maybe you don't want to pursue that? Probably just quit on that one huh?
My response was sarcastic. Your statement about needing 120,000 people to donate is ridiculous, so I responded in kind.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm

There's no way I could give up my phone but I thought maybe my wife would give hers up and we could use that money as you suggested.

At the very least I should have been wearing a cup and some type of helmet when I suggested that. Better yet I should have said nothing at all.
I hope to be healed up by the gold rush game.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:09 pm

We are NOT powerless in this ... pretending we are is a cop out. For example, if 15,000 of us give $1000 that is $15 million. We can not control what others do but we can decide what each of us does.

Yes, I have contributed.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

The east side bleachers are really an eyesore and a huge safety issue. It is a wonder no one has been killed on the stairs with no railings. Also, it is a wonder that there haven't been any large injury lawsuits. Based on the safety issues maybe MSU should look to the State for some emergency funding to get it replaced and get it done as part of Phase I.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am
cat-o-nine wrote:
It's already been decided that the north end zone facility is phase 1. This building includes not just football offices but a full workout facility, which will match the griz "we used to be champions" center. Then the former football offices in the fieldhouse will be converted to additional study areas for all student-athletes.
This is phase 1, and for better or worse, it's already decided.
=D^

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm

I don't understand why it has been THIS difficult to raise money for these projects...……

I know its a lot of money, and its definitely easier said then done...… but my god, there is so much stinkin money in the Bozeman area right now, its crazy!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm
I don't understand why it has been THIS difficult to raise money for these projects...……

I know its a lot of money, and its definitely easier said then done...… but my god, there is so much stinkin money in the Bozeman area right now, its crazy!
Maybe this?

http://www.montana.edu/news/18359/msu-s ... d-programs

If you look at the breakdown by goal, most areas went over. It would be nice if the administration would allocate some of that money to start breaking ground on the athletic plan.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Maybe this?

http://www.montana.edu/news/18359/msu-s ... d-programs

If you look at the breakdown by goal, most areas went over. It would be nice if the administration would allocate some of that money to start breaking ground on the athletic plan.
Um, the administration can't take money that people donated to the academic areas of the University and unilaterally redirect it to a football building.

Hopefully, they do take some of the fundraising strategies that apparently worked so well for this and apply them to the facilities campaign, though!