WBB vs Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs Montana

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:49 pm

I would have thought Oliana Squires was a known quantity but the Lady griz chose not to guard her too much. She got 20 a lot from wide open. Cats win by 22. Very nice

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs Montana

Post by Common Cat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:59 pm

One down one to go. Nice job ladies!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Ass kickin

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Yeah Oliana had a nice game shooting. She really had some great assists today too. She made some nice passes to teammates that made themselves open and ready for the pass. The way the lady Cats rebounded on defense in the first half along with how poorly they started out shooting was terrible, That 2nd quarter was the answer with them outscoring UM 21 -7.
I didn't care for the reffing all that much but it's always easier to take when you're winning big. There wasn't a single free throw shot for either team in the second half. Just how often does that happen? This is not to say that there weren't plenty of fouls that went uncalled.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Both teams played zone and worked the shot clock. Very quick game. 1.5 hours with halftime. Game went too fast to blow the lead!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

We won?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:01 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm
We won?
Yes by a healthy margin. Hope the men follow suit.

If your left, you aren’t right.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:04 pm

It should be noted that we were missing one of our leading scorers, Martha Kuderer, due to a concussion. True Freshmen Mocchi and Wright really picked up the slack, both hitting a couple of threes. Those two are going to be good players for us.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:54 am

IMHO: I liked the starting lineup/positions better, as it put our best players in positions to be more successful. Squires should be the point guard. Period. The team needs her there more than at the two. Wright at the three seemed more relaxed and effective and made a consistent impact. She doubled her number of made threes for the year. Use this starting five and see where it takes us. They played an excellent game today, once they got their spacing and started moving the ball. One fan's opinion. Very satisfying win over of the Griz!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:12 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:54 am
IMHO: I liked the starting lineup/positions better, as it put our best players in positions to be more successful. Squires should be the point guard. Period. The team needs her there more than at the two. Wright at the three seemed more relaxed and effective and made a consistent impact. She doubled her number of made threes for the year. Use this starting five and see where it takes us. They played an excellent game today, once they got their spacing and started moving the ball. One fan's opinion. Very satisfying win over of the Griz!
It sure worked like a charm against the lady griz-who played zone the whole game and don't press. Having Wright a little closer to the basket on offense is a good thing. I think the lady griz zone was designed to sag off the point-assuming it would primarily be Wright. When it was Squires they didn't adjust and it really burned them. Our bigs, Braxton and Smith were just magnificent. And Lundberg struggled on offense, but got a ton of rebounds on the defensive end. Just a great overall team win.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 am

I’m not sure who coaches the Bigs but they’ve done a fantastic job! Madeline is solid, but the transformation of Braxton is something I’ve never seen at Montana State. She’s turned into an offensive threat since last season and the coaches deserve credit for her development. I’m not sure if it’s the coach that replaced Harris, but somebody really worked closely with her. She’s by far the most improved player in the Conference. I think she’s better than her brother!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm

I guess I was surprised that our 74-52 win over the Lady Griz was the largest margin of victory ever for a Cat
team over the Lady Griz. The thing is, if MSU had wanted, it would've been by 30 or more. We had 74 points with
5:00 left. The crowd was yelling for 80 so we could get the cinnamon rolls; also, we were close to 10 3s for the
Wendy's chili. But at this point we put in the subs and pretty much tried to run out the clock instead of scoring.

I was fine with the subs but wish they had not run clock.

ANyway, it was a great performance after the poor start. We trailed 20-9 and caught them at 22,
then never looked back. I went to both women's and men's games, and while the men did indeed make it
competitive and exciting, I again feel for all the Bobcat fans who denied themselves the enjoyment of
watching the Griz get blown out. There were 6000 at the men's game and I'm guessing it was pretty close
to 4000 for the women, though I did not see an official attendance. Shoulda been 6000 for the women.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 am
I think she’s better than her brother!
If Blaire could dunk-I think they would be the same player! It's amazing how similar their games are. The Braxton family must really love having both Big Sky tournaments at the same site.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Great win for the Bobcats. I thought it was an important win for the program. I like the new starting line up and I’m happy that our Junior class stepped up! This could be a dangerous team at the Tournament!
Last edited by Ilikecats on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Catlady wrote:
I’m not sure who coaches the Bigs but they’ve done a fantastic job! Madeline is solid, but the transformation of Braxton is something I’ve never seen at Montana State. She’s turned into an offensive threat since last season and the coaches deserve credit for her development. I’m not sure if it’s the coach that replaced Harris, but somebody really worked closely with her. She’s by far the most improved player in the Conference. I think she’s better than her brother!
I am going to guess that Braxton and Smith are coached by Kati (Burrows) Mobley. As an undersized "big", I think she lead the Big Sky in scoring either 1 or 2 years — with an array of moves. For those of you who remember seeing her play, she was pretty hard to stop. Those up-and-unders we've seen the last few years are right out of her highlight reel. And I agree with Braxton being the most improved player. Even her free-throw shooting seems better. She must have worked hard over the summer.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm
Catlady wrote:
I am going to guess that Braxton and Smith are coached by Kati (Burrows) Mobley. As an undersized "big", I think she lead the Big Sky in scoring either 1 or 2 years — with an array of moves. For those of you who remember seeing her play, she was pretty hard to stop. Those up-and-unders we've seen the last few years are right out of her highlight reel. And I agree with Braxton being the most improved player. Even her free-throw shooting seems better. She must have worked hard over the summer.
Blair is also just a lot more athletic than in the past. Runs the floor better and is now a shot blocker.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz