Duru transfering

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Duru transfering

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 am

I'm frustrated but not terribly surprised. The Bobcats haven't shown much ability to throw the ball in several years. Things should have improved some last year but we all know what happened. They're going to have to have a year or two of respectability in the passing game to be able to recruit and retain good WR's. Generally speaking, that position more than any other wants its touches or they're going to jump ship. I am not saying that's Duru's mindset, I'm just saying that's what you see so much at every level of football, so we may continue to see this until the Cats start throwing the ball with a little more regularity.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 am
I'm frustrated but not terribly surprised. The Bobcats haven't shown much ability to throw the ball in several years. Things should have improved some last year but we all know what happened. They're going to have to have a year or two of respectability in the passing game to be able to recruit and retain good WR's. Generally speaking, that position more than any other wants its touches or they're going to jump ship. I am not saying that's Duru's mindset, I'm just saying that's what you see so much at every level of football, so we may continue to see this until the Cats start throwing the ball with a little more regularity.
I really think you are placing too much emphasis on the type of offense. Duru committed knowing full well what type of offense we had in place. That was not a surprise. We also just picked up Jaden Smith this year and he has been ranked as one of the top 5 WR commits in all of FCS.

I am guessing lack of playing time and competition at the position are bigger factors. From last year, we lost one WR to graduation (D’Agostino) and maybe one to injury (Jabari). We also have 10 other WR returning and the highly touted Jaden Smith coming in. We know Kassis, Jonsen, McCutcheon and probably Patterson will get major reps. Throw in Campbell, Steel and Estes along with Smith and it was going to be tough for Duru and Metcalf to get significant minutes.

Jabari Johnson- SR (really hope he is able to go this year)
Kevin Kassis- SR
Davine Tullis- SR
Travis Jonsen- SR
Lance McCutcheon- JR
James Campbell- RS Soph
Willie Patterson- RS Soph
Coy Steel- RS Soph
Peyton Hanser- RS Soph
Mark Estes- RS Freshman
Logan Kleinhans- RS Freshman

Tanner Trafton- True Freshman
Jaden Smith- True Freshman

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
I just can't buy that's the reason. These kids knew the offense MSU runs, and the skillsets of the QBs, before they signed up to come here. It's not like they got here and then were surprised that we couldn't throw the ball very well. We didn't throw it very well in 2016 or 2017 either, when these kids were being recruited, and when they committed.
There must be other reasons for them leaving.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I just can't buy that's the reason. These kids knew the offense MSU runs, and the skillsets of the QBs, before they signed up to come here. It's not like they got here and then were surprised that we couldn't throw the ball very well. We didn't throw it very well in 2016 or 2017 either, when these kids were being recruited, and when they committed.
Yeah, but I think there was an expectation that the passing game would be steadily improving starting in 2018. Having said that, I think you're right too. But competition is compounded when there's only 140 yards a game to go around to all those guys. I have to think it's a little bit of both. I don't necessarily think it's rational that they're leaving because of the system...I know I didn't make a ton of rational decisions at that age.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 am
91catAlum wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Yeah, but I think there was an expectation that the passing game would be steadily improving starting in 2018. Having said that, I think you're right too. But competition is compounded when there's only 140 yards a game to go around to all those guys. I have to think it's a little bit of both. I don't necessarily think it's rational that they're leaving because of the system...I know I didn't make a ton of rational decisions at that age.
Could be any number of things......Maybe it has to do with the offense, maybe it's the winter climate, maybe they didn't like their first dose of the expectations of winter conditioning, maybe they aren't vibing with the new WR coach, maybe they are struggling with the transition to college, maybe they aren't connecting with the QB's, or maybe it's because they are 18 year old college kids and they don't know exactly what they want....we can speculate all we want, but could be any number of reasons.

The important thing is that Coach Choate and his staff need to understand why these two student athletes are leaving to see if there's anything the coaching staff or athletic department can to do to make sure they are supporting the student athletes as best they can.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:35 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Could be any number of things......Maybe it has to do with the offense, maybe it's the winter climate, maybe they didn't like their first dose of the expectations of winter conditioning, maybe they aren't vibing with the new WR coach, maybe they are struggling with the transition to college, maybe they aren't connecting with the QB's, or maybe it's because they are 18 year old college kids and they don't know exactly what they want....we can speculate all we want, but could be any number of reasons.

The important thing is that Coach Choate and his staff need to understand why these two student athletes are leaving to see if there's anything the coaching staff or athletic department can to do to make sure they are supporting the student athletes as best they can.
OOOorrrrr, maybe God spoke to them! :roll:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:35 am
wbtfg wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

I don't get it.....

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:46 am

Go back and listen to Alex Neal and Zach Wright interview at the Big Sky Conference kick off in Spokane. This will probably answer some
questions. “If they do not buy in to the system they don’t last long”
Last edited by 2-B-Champ on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm

2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:46 am
Go back and listen to Alex Neal and Zach Wright interview at the Big Sky Conference kick off in Spokane. This will probably answer some
questions. “If they do buy in to the system they don’t last long”
Did you get that quote right?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm
2-B-Champ wrote:
No it was more like don't buy into system, we get rid of ya

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm

2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 pm
AFCAT wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
He was referencing the quote you posted that says, "If they DO buy in to the system, they don't last long." Assuming you meant don't and AFCAT was just making sure.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm
2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 pm
AFCAT wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
He was referencing the quote you posted that says, "If they DO buy in to the system, they don't last long." Assuming you meant don't and AFCAT was just making sure.
Oops my bad!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Maybe they don't like to block much!

2024 Resume dominance

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:35 am
wbtfg wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

I don't get it.....
I saw on Koby's twitter note to "everyone" that his leaving was part of "God's plan"! Ok, I get that God can work in someone's like to direct changes, BUT... I think that is one of those convenient ways to shut down a response to the question of "why are you leaving?".

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:16 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I really think you are placing too much emphasis on the type of offense. Duru committed knowing full well what type of offense we had in place. That was not a surprise. We also just picked up Jaden Smith this year and he has been ranked as one of the top 5 WR commits in all of FCS.

I am guessing lack of playing time and competition at the position are bigger factors. From last year, we lost one WR to graduation (D’Agostino) and maybe one to injury (Jabari). We also have 10 other WR returning and the highly touted Jaden Smith coming in. We know Kassis, Jonsen, McCutcheon and probably Patterson will get major reps. Throw in Campbell, Steel and Estes along with Smith and it was going to be tough for Duru and Metcalf to get significant minutes.

Kevin Kassis- SR
Davine Tullis- SR
Travis Jonsen- SR
Lance McCutcheon- JR
James Campbell- RS Soph
Coy Steel- RS Soph
Peyton Hanser- RS Soph
Mark Estes- RS Freshman

um always seems to have really good receivers (as does EWU). How does our WR roster stack up with those schools. If it doesn't, why?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 am

gtapp wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Kevin Kassis- SR
Davine Tullis- SR
Travis Jonsen- SR
Lance McCutcheon- JR
James Campbell- RS Soph
Coy Steel- RS Soph
Peyton Hanser- RS Soph
Mark Estes- RS Freshman

um always seems to have really good receivers (as does EWU). How does our WR roster stack up with those schools. If it doesn't, why?
Well...a good place to start is their offenses are more conducive to passing the ball. That will change a bit for UM as Bobby will value more of a balanced approach. EWU was explosive at both running and passing in 2018 and they have gotten quality receivers for the past 20 years. I really don't know gtapp. MSU just has not done a great job of finding and developing out-of-state talent at WR for a while now. Even go back to the Denarius and Lulay years. Most of the star receivers of those teams were either in-state kids or transfers. Of course there are exceptions and MSU hasn't struck out on all of them but it definitely has been an ongoing ordeal.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Everytime someone leaves half this board spends days hinting that it is somehow Choate’s fault. TG leaves and its because Choate is a control freak. Duru leaves and its cause Choate doesn’t run the right systm :roll:

If it’s true that we don’t pass the ball enough for Duru’s taste and that he doesn’t want to hang in and try and help improve our passing game(no evidence that this is the case) then he’s not the type of team player that fits in here and good riddance.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 am
gtapp wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Kevin Kassis- SR
Davine Tullis- SR
Travis Jonsen- SR
Lance McCutcheon- JR
James Campbell- RS Soph
Coy Steel- RS Soph
Peyton Hanser- RS Soph
Mark Estes- RS Freshman

Well...a good place to start is their offenses are more conducive to passing the ball. That will change a bit for UM as Bobby will value more of a balanced approach. EWU was explosive at both running and passing in 2018 and they have gotten quality receivers for the past 20 years. I really don't know gtapp. MSU just has not done a great job of finding and developing out-of-state talent at WR for a while now. Even go back to the Denarius and Lulay years. Most of the star receivers of those teams were either in-state kids or transfers. Of course there are exceptions and MSU hasn't struck out on all of them but it definitely has been an ongoing ordeal.
There is no question that you are onto something here. WR's have not been a strong suit for MSU for years, and I believe that it is our tendency to focus more on the run game than the passing. But, this raises an interesting question about balance on the offensive side and what/where Choate wants to take us. Clearly, he has recruited for a balanced QB offensive game. Run, pass, being both getting equal billing...but until we make a concerted effort to develop a stable of WR's who have a decent chance of making a showing in the game, the Cooper Kupps of the world will all go to EWU!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:24 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:43 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 am
gtapp wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Kevin Kassis- SR
Davine Tullis- SR
Travis Jonsen- SR
Lance McCutcheon- JR
James Campbell- RS Soph
Coy Steel- RS Soph
Peyton Hanser- RS Soph
Mark Estes- RS Freshman

There is no question that you are onto something here. WR's have not been a strong suit for MSU for years, and I believe that it is our tendency to focus more on the run game than the passing. But, this raises an interesting question about balance on the offensive side and what/where Choate wants to take us. Clearly, he has recruited for a balanced QB offensive game. Run, pass, being both getting equal billing...but until we make a concerted effort to develop a stable of WR's who have a decent chance of making a showing in the game, the Cooper Kupps of the world will all go to EWU!
True...but the funny thing about Cooper is that he was not heavily recruited at all. No 3-star status or whatever the hell those rankings mean. Cooper is the type of high school recruit the Bobcats have been able to develop (bought into the team-first mentality).

List of out-of-state freshman WR recruits since 2010 that were recruited with high expectations out of high school:

Jon Ellis - Texas (2010)
Michael Perryman - California (2011)
Shadeed Crocket - Minnesota (2012)
Jayshawn Gates - California (2013)
Mitch Herbert - Oregon (2014)
Justin Paige - Texas (2014)
Cam Sutton - California (2015) - 3-star
Keon Stephens - California (2015) - 3-star
Kevin Kassis - California (2016)
James Campbell - Florida (2017)
Willie Patterson - Washington (2017)
Coy Steel - Wyoming (2017)
Mekhi Metcalf - Washington (2018) - 3-star
Koby Duru - California (2018) - 2-star

You could argue that Jon Ellis, Mitch Herbert, and Kevin Kassis have been the only successful out-of-state freshman recruits over the past 10 years at MSU. Perryman, Crocket, Gates, Sutton, Stephens, Metcalf, and Duru left the program at one time or another. Paige graduated and got hit hard by the Choate transition as his role in the offense became moot due to QB deficiencies. Campbell, Patterson, and Steel are on their way to becoming consistent key contributors heading into their redshirt sophomore years.

Now for the drop-down/JUCO transfers:

Mitch Griebel (2012) - Air Force
Kurt Davis (2012) - UNLV
Tanner Roderick (2013) - Nevada
Brandon Brown (2015) - Baylor
Jabarri Johnson (2017) - American JUCO
Davine Tullis (2018) - Hawaii
Travis Jonsen (2018) - Oregon (was a QB)

Mitch was a stud. Davis never played. Roderick was streaky. Brown played hard but talent was average. Johnson had one bright season prior to injury last spring. Tullis redshirted last year so he will be a junior next fall. He played at Hawaii in 2016 and 2017 (true freshman and sophomore years). Jonsen transformed himself into a WR last fall.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:17 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm
Everytime someone leaves half this board spends days hinting that it is somehow Choate’s fault. TG leaves and its because Choate is a control freak. Duru leaves and its cause Choate doesn’t run the right systm :roll:

If it’s true that we don’t pass the ball enough for Duru’s taste and that he doesn’t want to hang in and try and help improve our passing game(no evidence that this is the case) then he’s not the type of team player that fits in here and good riddance.
You will probably find that the individuals blaming Choate for: lack of offense, QB deficiencies, WR play, recruiting, player development, special teams, defense, TY leaving, transfers leaving, tickets prices, fund raising, bleachers, music, etc are the SAME GROUP OF PEOPLE doing all the complaining. They are just perennially unhappy.