MBB vs Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

MBB vs Idaho State

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:34 am

Winnable game this afternoon in the Brick. Need to play some D and hit the boards!

thefrank1

Re: MBB vs Idaho State

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am

Agreed, especially defend the 3 point shooters.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 pm

arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Is anyone else getting this game on SWX? It isn't on here in GF.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:02 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Is anyone else getting this game on SWX? It isn't on here in GF.
No tv guys here in the brick. SWX is doing the Weber game in Missoula tonight. Cats up 9 at half

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Sam seemed to be the only BOBCAT that showed up to play for the first 5 minutes, but then the team warmed up and started to benefit from ISUs turnovers.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Frey was great shooting 3 pointers in the 2nd half. Took the lead up to 15 and the 'Cats cruise to 20 point win 104-84. Still things to work on. Let too many drives by isu get to the basket and allowed a few isu offensive rebounds. Good win - should make for good mojo going into 'Cat-griz next weekend.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 pm

catscat wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 pm
Frey was great shooting 3 pointers in the 2nd half. Took the lead up to 15 and the 'Cats cruise to 20 point win 104-84. Still things to work on. Let too many drives by isu get to the basket and allowed a few isu offensive rebounds. Good win - should make for good mojo going into 'Cat-griz next weekend.
Pretty good offensive production to put up 104. Not expecting great things from this team, still thinking a .500 club but good game today. On to the Griz.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm

The ISU turnovers were caused by a tenacious Bobcat defense. Played with intensity the whole game. Fun to watch.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 pm

First 100 point game ISU has given up in Big Sky play since 2007. It's usually pretty tough to get a high score against a Bill Evans team. That was one of the most entertaining second halves in the Brian Fish era. We were up 9 at halftime, jumped out to a 15 point lead early in the 2nd half, then ISU chipped it down to 4, then Harry went off with three deep threes in a row and we kind of ran away from them. In between there were three awesome Blevin's dunks, stellar role play from Sam Neumann, a cool 26 from Tyler Hall, a couple of Ricketts threes-including the one to get us to 100, and a Ricketts defensive highlight on a blocked shot. We vastly needed this win as the next two (griz and UNCU) are probably out of reach for this team.

ISU, as per usual for a Bobcat opponent, hit threes all over the place-well over 50% field goal percentage for a team near the bottom of the league in that stat. In the second half during their run, they just spred the floor and Brandon Boyd drove to the hoop time and time again. Our guards, Harry, Lassi, and Russell Daniels try hard, but they can't stop the most athletic guards in the Big Sky like Boyd, Harding, and Davis-same will be for the griz guards next week. The thing that kind of shut that down a little bit was Zeke Quinlan hedging on them for a few minutes. He fouled a couple of times, but it slowed them down.

Haruna got a few minutes. Fish seems frustrated by him, but he looks effective to me. He's huge, sets a good screen, and takes up a lot of space in the middle-where Kirby sometimes seems to get lost. That being said, Neumann who is 5 or 6 inches shorter just always has perfect position and does everything right. Nice to see him use the pump fake to get some inside baskets. Still-there's no substitute for height in the game of basketball.

Good win to stop the bleeding. Probably the biggest crowd of the season too. Lots of people in town for a robotics competition I think. School busses everywhere.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:06 pm

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Good win by the men today, although ISU isn't a very good team. Still it was nice to break the 3 game losing streak going into Cat-Griz. It was good to see them pull away at the end and turn it into a rout after ISU had closed to within 4. Likely to end up 5-5 in the first half of the conference schedule.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 pm
First 100 point game ISU has given up in Big Sky play since 2007. It's usually pretty tough to get a high score against a Bill Evans team. That was one of the most entertaining second halves in the Brian Fish era. We were up 9 at halftime, jumped out to a 15 point lead early in the 2nd half, then ISU chipped it down to 4, then Harry went off with three deep threes in a row and we kind of ran away from them. In between there were three awesome Blevin's dunks, stellar role play from Sam Neumann, a cool 26 from Tyler Hall, a couple of Ricketts threes-including the one to get us to 100, and a Ricketts defensive highlight on a blocked shot. We vastly needed this win as the next two (griz and UNCU) are probably out of reach for this team.

ISU, as per usual for a Bobcat opponent, hit threes all over the place-well over 50% field goal percentage for a team near the bottom of the league in that stat. In the second half during their run, they just spred the floor and Brandon Boyd drove to the hoop time and time again. Our guards, Harry, Lassi, and Russell Daniels try hard, but they can't stop the most athletic guards in the Big Sky like Boyd, Harding, and Davis-same will be for the griz guards next week. The thing that kind of shut that down a little bit was Zeke Quinlan hedging on them for a few minutes. He fouled a couple of times, but it slowed them down.

Haruna got a few minutes. Fish seems frustrated by him, but he looks effective to me. He's huge, sets a good screen, and takes up a lot of space in the middle-where Kirby sometimes seems to get lost. That being said, Neumann who is 5 or 6 inches shorter just always has perfect position and does everything right. Nice to see him use the pump fake to get some inside baskets. Still-there's no substitute for height in the game of basketball.

Good win to stop the bleeding. Probably the biggest crowd of the season too. Lots of people in town for a robotics competition I think. School busses everywhere.
Also the Huse BBall tourney in town!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Interesting piece here about what has Fish so stressed out about this team. I liked the part where Fish told the team they have to guard their man like they're in a phone both...then he had to explain to his players what a phone booth was. Ha Ha-maybe that's the whole problem with Fish's communication with this team-it's generational. Some enlightening stats about how well teams are playing against us offensively-or how bad we're playing defense.

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am

I have said this all year to my friends that we won't be in the top tier of the league until
we play better defense. It is pretty simple to play defensive moneyball. Guard and contest
the 3-pt line, no layups, and no fouling. If someone dribble drives, retreat and square them up.
If they pull up and hit a 2-pt shot from 8 to 20 feet, you just live with that. Help defense only
comes from non 3-pt shooters as the drive and kick out to 3-pt shooters is a main weapon of
most teams today.

It seems like every team we play shoots lights out against us. It just tells me that we are
playing defense wrong. Too many open 3-pointers and way to many uncontested layups.

Just my take...

Tom Domako

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am

Domako wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am
I have said this all year to my friends that we won't be in the top tier of the league until
we play better defense. It is pretty simple to play defensive moneyball. Guard and contest
the 3-pt line, no layups, and no fouling. If someone dribble drives, retreat and square them up.
If they pull up and hit a 2-pt shot from 8 to 20 feet, you just live with that. Help defense only
comes from non 3-pt shooters as the drive and kick out to 3-pt shooters is a main weapon of
most teams today.

It seems like every team we play shoots lights out against us. It just tells me that we are
playing defense wrong. Too many open 3-pointers and way to many uncontested layups.

Just my take...
Agreed.....I've only been able to watch 3-4 games, but I've been struck by how bad we are defensively. We get beat off the dribble, don't have any help at the rim and/or allow wide open 3 pt shots.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am
Domako wrote:
most teams today.

Just my take...
Agreed.....I've only been able to watch 3-4 games, but I've been struck by how bad we are defensively. We get beat off the dribble, don't have any help at the rim and/or allow wide open 3 pt shots.
I don't understand how we can be so bad. In that article it said if we extrapolated the last 4 games we'd be dead last in the country in fg % defense by 4%. Our on ball defense is awful, guards can take their man without even needing a screen, and like wbtfg there is zero rotation or if it does occur it's very late. It really looks like we're playing in molasses defensively.

From the Chronicle article:

On the season, MSU has allowed opponents to shoot 38 percent from 3 (332nd nationally), 48.8 percent from the field overall (347th nationally) and 57.9 percent (352nd nationally) on 2-pointers.

:shock:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Domako wrote:
most teams today.

Just my take...
I don't understand how we can be so bad. In that article it said if we extrapolated the last 4 games we'd be dead last in the country in fg % defense by 4%. Our on ball defense is awful, guards can take their man without even needing a screen, and like wbtfg there is zero rotation or if it does occur it's very late. It really looks like we're playing in molasses defensively.

On the season, MSU has allowed opponents to shoot 38 percent from 3 (332nd nationally), 48.8 percent from the field overall (347th nationally) and 57.9 percent (352nd nationally) on 2-pointers.

I hadn't ready the article....wow...that's really really bad. Even Jamie Marshall thinks that's bad defense.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Domako wrote:
most teams today.

Just my take...

I hadn't ready the article....wow...that's really really bad. Even Jamie Marshall thinks that's bad defense.
:lol:

That's awesome. As long as Fish is here this is the defense we're going to play. Sadly...I'm not even mad anymore. It is what it is.

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Post by Counting Cats » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Domako wrote:
most teams today.

Just my take...

:lol:

That's awesome. As long as Fish is here this is the defense we're going to play. Sadly...I'm not even mad anymore. It is what it is.
How much of poor defense in our situation is poor strategy and how much is lack of quickness of the athletes or lack of conditioning?