Joey Thomas interview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Joey Thomas interview

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Here is the Joey Thomas Interview from today's show...I have never used sound Cloud, so hope this works...Pretty interesting take on him wanting to be a bobcat coach...

https://soundcloud.com/user-607443087/j ... -interview

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Joey Thomas interview

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Man, great interview! Love his enthusiasm and attitude! Come on Kane, bring back JT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 pm

I loved him talking about getting flagged for pi calls. The always frustrated me about him, he played so tight the refs called them on him a lot.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm
Here is the Joey Thomas Interview from today's show...I have never used sound Cloud, so hope this works...Pretty interesting take on him wanting to be a bobcat coach...

https://soundcloud.com/user-607443087/j ... -interview
Great interview! I was hyped up after listening! We need him on staff! Well done Saccat.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Not sure the economics work out for Joey as a position coach at MSU? He has 6 mouths to feed.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 pm

He was a fun interview...My favorite part was that he actually does wear Bobcat shirts when he knows a griz coach is coming to his school...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am

Joey Thomas, head football coach at Seattle’s Garfield High School, has tendered his resignation effective Tues., April 16. On Monday, Thomas, who has been the head coach at Garfield since 2016, confirmed that he has accepted a coaching position with a small college in the Midwest.
However, as fate would have it, Thomas, who was one of 15 teachers displaced from Garfield for the upcoming school year, says the fact that he no longer had a position at the school played a role in his final decision.

“Being displaced, essentially means I don’t have employment for the fall,” said Thomas. “So when I sat back and I thought about it, I looked at the opportunity and said you know, I do want to be a college coach one day, so I talked it over with my wife and my family and they gave me their blessings. So I’m taking the opportunity to go coach college football.”
https://seattlemedium.com/coach-joey-th ... l-program/

Looks like he is coaching at Fort Scott CC in Kansas.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am
Joey Thomas, head football coach at Seattle’s Garfield High School, has tendered his resignation effective Tues., April 16. On Monday, Thomas, who has been the head coach at Garfield since 2016, confirmed that he has accepted a coaching position with a small college in the Midwest.
However, as fate would have it, Thomas, who was one of 15 teachers displaced from Garfield for the upcoming school year, says the fact that he no longer had a position at the school played a role in his final decision.

“Being displaced, essentially means I don’t have employment for the fall,” said Thomas. “So when I sat back and I thought about it, I looked at the opportunity and said you know, I do want to be a college coach one day, so I talked it over with my wife and my family and they gave me their blessings. So I’m taking the opportunity to go coach college football.”
https://seattlemedium.com/coach-joey-th ... l-program/

Looks like he is coaching at Fort Scott CC in Kansas.
Yep, first step to coming back to MSU...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:25 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 pm
He was a fun interview...My favorite part was that he actually does wear Bobcat shirts when he knows a griz coach is coming to his school...
Yes, love that "tude"... If I am going out here l always deck out in CAT gear. I will darned well clue you he wears the gear a whole lot better than I do!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Just chatted with JT. As always, moving forward and giving thanks at God. Such a good man.

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 am

I ran across this video last year...perhaps someone on BN mentioned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myX6i94 ... e=emb_logo

Joey did some promo work for a mentoring program aimed at male, high school athletes. It teaches them how to treat females.

Program is called Coaching Boys into Men

https://www.coachescorner.org/coach-respect/

I downloaded some of the material & tweaked it to use in my jr. high church classes...lots of 7th/8th grade boys still fancy themselves future NBA'ers.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm

We've got great coaches across the board, Choate is a builder and surrounds the program with high quality individuals.

But the sentimental part of me would love to see some more Bobcat greats on the sideline - Travis Lulay, DeNarius McGhee, Zach Minter, Joey Thomas, that kind of thing. It's very cool that Dane Fletcher came back, invested in Bozeman, and contributes to the program. And while we're dreaming - how great would it be if Bill Kolar retired from the NFL and pulled a Dennis Erickson - got a place in Bozeman and made his face a regular sight in the program?

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:53 pm

JDoub wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm
We've got great coaches across the board, Choate is a builder and surrounds the program with high quality individuals.

But the sentimental part of me would love to see some more Bobcat greats on the sideline - Travis Lulay, DeNarius McGhee, Zach Minter, Joey Thomas, that kind of thing. It's very cool that Dane Fletcher came back, invested in Bozeman, and contributes to the program. And while we're dreaming - how great would it be if Bill Kolar retired from the NFL and pulled a Dennis Erickson - got a place in Bozeman and made his face a regular sight in the program?
I agree, although I do think having Daly and Ioane is pretty good, and Dane's involvement is a plus too. I've heard Choate talk about loving having Bobcats on the coaching staff, because the recruiting is so much more genuine. It's "hey I can tell you how great this place is because I've done exactly what you're doing and made this decision". Obviously don't put anybody on the staff just because they were great players, but hopefully that's a leg up. Now we just need to make Bozeman a little more affordable place to live!