article in Chronicle today

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm

And this is nothing compared to the UM radio guy. Schwedelson screwed up. It’s the first time that I know of, so I’m willing to cut him some slack. Hopefully he learned something.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:10 pm

A Chronicle reporter doesn't report the full story and what does get reported makes the Cats look bad? I'm sure none of us have seen this before. :roll:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:41 pm

This is another non event.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:20 am

There is NOT a problem with the Chronicle’s article. This is an issue with our recruiting, pure and simple. We come across looking like we don’t really care about the people we recruit. The best spin is that this fell through the cracks ... At the very least it highlights a lack organization on the part of Choate.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 am

Coaches pull offers, players pull commitments it's the way of college recruiting. Just because it was his only offer it makes him look like a victim. I suppose he will grow up eventually!

2024 Resume dominance

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 am

Mom and Dad got their feelings hurt, a little embarrassed, and called the paper to complain. The press always enjoys ruffling feathers.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:25 am

This hullabaloo over a rescinded scholly doesn't even come close to having a job offer pulled and then being ghosted. He's 17. If he can't learn to get past this it's going to be a pretty long and disappointing road for him in the years to come. I'm not saying it's right or he deserved it, but being a grown up is one continuing sh!t sandwich after another and about the only thing he'll be able to control is how he responds to it.

That article was pretty slanted and didn't even come close to offering two sides of the story. It's a pure opinion piece masquerading as journalism. Maybe the coaching staff did answer questions and Schwedelson chose to not include any of it in his hit piece. We'll probably never know.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:28 am

from the article wrote:In 21 years as head coach at St. Rita, Kuska estimated that he’s coached about 50 or 60 Division I players. He’s “never once had a school turn down a commitment,” he said.
Yeah, that's a cute little bullsh!t story. He's so full of it he could double as a diaper. He's just trying to pile on.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am

I think a lot of posters are getting defensive and glossing over the issue, which isn't necessarily rescinding the offer, but the fact that the MSU staff went radio silent on him for weeks. I agree with @imacat in that at best this just fell through the cracks during the midseason coaching change, but if the kid really was calling or leaving messages, emails, and no one was responding to him to at least even say we'll get back to you as soon as we have a chance, then it just looks bad on us.

From the timeline, I'm guessing he heard about the Cole firing most likely pretty soon after it happened, and tried to get a hold of MSU to confirm his offer. Maybe he tried to get a hold of Cole, who knows, but from his HUDL timeline which has a bunch of updating highlight videos around November 20th, and the coach in this article saying they didn't hear for a couple of weeks, I'm guessing he got a hold of MSU coaches in 2nd week of November.

It sucks for the kid, but if that timeline is accurate it's a full month before early singing day and a long time before national singing day in February. To me this is better than letting a kid know on February 5th (signing day is the 6th) that he no longer has an offer, which happens every year to multiple kids. Yes the radio silence was a big mistake but at least it was done with enough time for the kid to find another home.

All of that said, who knows MSU's side of the story. We probably won't either.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

One thing I've learned from experience over the years is that if you make a judgment about a disagreement after only hearing one side of the story, you're almost certain to be made a fool of once the whole story comes out. Let's let Grizaddict and his troll buddies over on eGriz have their little circle jerk and get back to discussing the much, much less futile topic of who's going to be MSU's starting quarterback 8 months in advance of the first game of the 2019 season.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:06 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am
I think a lot of posters are getting defensive and glossing over the issue, which isn't necessarily rescinding the offer, but the fact that the MSU staff went radio silent on him for weeks. I agree with @imacat in that at best this just fell through the cracks during the midseason coaching change, but if the kid really was calling or leaving messages, emails, and no one was responding to him to at least even say we'll get back to you as soon as we have a chance, then it just looks bad on us.

From the timeline, I'm guessing he heard about the Cole firing most likely pretty soon after it happened, and tried to get a hold of MSU to confirm his offer. Maybe he tried to get a hold of Cole, who knows, but from his HUDL timeline which has a bunch of updating highlight videos around November 20th, and the coach in this article saying they didn't hear for a couple of weeks, I'm guessing he got a hold of MSU coaches in 2nd week of November.

It sucks for the kid, but if that timeline is accurate it's a full month before early singing day and a long time before national signing day in February. To me this is better than letting a kid know on February 5th (signing day is the 6th) that he no longer has an offer, which happens every year to multiple kids. Yes the radio silence was a big mistake but at least it was done with enough time for the kid to find another home.

The only thing I will contribute to this train wreck of a thread is this: between September 1 and November 24, it's a "quiet period" in terms of recruiting with some dead periods in there. Bob Cole is the only Montana State coach who saw Hayden Ekern play in person. The other coaches quite literally could not go see him during the fall. And it's entirely possible that it was a dead period (no contact allowed) during the time from Bob Cole's firing to his offer being officially rescinded, so the lack of communication might be a part of the rules.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 pm

From NCAA rules http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 180720.pdf
(b) September 1 through November 24, 2018 [except for (1) below]: Quiet Period
(1) Forty-two (42) evaluation days (see Bylaw 13.02.7.2) during the
months of September, October and November, selected at the
discretion of the institution and designated in writing in the office of
the director of athletics; authorized off-campus recruiters shall not
visit a prospective student-athlete’s educational institution on more
than one calendar day during this period: Evaluation Period

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am

bobcat92 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 pm
So no cover here.

The whole concept of pulling an offer does not sit well with me but I understand it happens. If circumstances dictate this decision, it is just respectful and curtiouus for the coaching staff to keep the prospect informed and to help them understand why.

Unfortunately, it does not appear we did this. If so, it is disappointing and is dismissive of a young man who wanted to join the Bobcat family.

I choose to believe that this was an oversight (mistake) by Coach Choate and he has made changes to insure this will be handled better in the future.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:32 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:06 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 am

It sucks for the kid, but if that timeline is accurate it's a full month before early singing day and a long time before national signing day in February. To me this is better than letting a kid know on February 5th (signing day is the 6th) that he no longer has an offer, which happens every year to multiple kids. Yes the radio silence was a big mistake but at least it was done with enough time for the kid to find another home.

The only thing I will contribute to this train wreck of a thread is this: between September 1 and November 24, it's a "quiet period" in terms of recruiting with some dead periods in there. Bob Cole is the only Montana State coach who saw Hayden Ekern play in person. The other coaches quite literally could not go see him during the fall. And it's entirely possible that it was a dead period (no contact allowed) during the time from Bob Cole's firing to his offer being officially rescinded, so the lack of communication might be a part of the rules.
We like our threads like a Grizzly 4th quarter - a train wreck. :wink:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:38 am

imacat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am
bobcat92 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 pm
So no cover here.

The whole concept of pulling an offer does not sit well with me but I understand it happens. If circumstances dictate this decision, it is just respectful and curtiouus for the coaching staff to keep the prospect informed and to help them understand why.

Unfortunately, it does not appear we did this. If so, it is disappointing and is dismissive of a young man who wanted to join the Bobcat family.

I choose to believe that this was an oversight (mistake) by Coach Choate and he has made changes to insure this will be handled better in the future.
Am I reading the regs wrong? The firing of Cole occurred during the quiet period. It does not appear to be an offsite evaluation.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

Quiet period allows calls and emails and even visitation:

https://new.berecruited.com/resources/r ... ms-defined

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am
Quiet period allows calls and emails and even visitation:

https://new.berecruited.com/resources/r ... ms-defined
I thought you had my posts on ignore?? And by the way, even egriz thinks your “outrage” on this topic is laughable. They moved it to smack!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Who cares.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:04 am

Does this really sound like something Choate would do? It doesn't to me. He can't comment on recruits so.....

By the way, did Paul man up and ask Choate about this at the signing day presser or did he want this to just be take shots from far away and get one side.

CN speaks with a little knowledge there. Weird some people choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:43 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:04 am
Does this really sound like something Choate would do? It doesn't to me. He can't comment on recruits so.....

By the way, did Paul man up and ask Choate about this at the signing day presser or did he want this to just be take shots from far away and get one side.

CN speaks with a little knowledge there. Weird some people choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit their narrative.
Good post, totally agree.

If your left, you aren’t right.