Montana Recruits 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2019

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:07 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 am
go96griz wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm
mtgrizfankb wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am

Maybe you didn’t read the articles. Both of these commits mentioned being attracted to the business school, and Owens in particular also liked the UM ties to Nike Corp as he would like to pursue a career with them. So yes, educational opportunities.
Nope, I didn't read the articles. I have better things to do with my time than read about non-MSU commits.

Gotta give it to Bobby, he's doing a good job of bullsh*tting his way around the crap education you will receive at UM. Business school? Please. I'd take MSU's business school any day over UM's, although I can say that at least it isn't UM's worst program. Nike? Pretty sure going to school at UM doesn't do a single thing to get you a job at Nike. MSU has some people that have worked their way into Nike too, but I don't think that does more than maybe get you an email when it comes to a job.
Except Nike hires more UM business majors straight form college than any other school. Business majors also get to meet multiple executives from Nike and get specific internship opportunities. Sprunk is on campus usually 3 times a semester. You can hate on a lot of things with UM but their business school and connection to big corporations and intern opportunities is not one
Didn't know that, I admit. That's pretty cool. Surprised that UM doesn't get that information out better on something like that.
Sprunk also serves on the athletics advisory board and has been on the business school’s advisory council as well. Sprunk and his wife are the named donors on the new athletic academic center. They also made a large donation to the business school to endow the Dean’s position. Lastly, Sprunk is largely responsible for the great Nike athletic deal that UM has for uniforms and other gear. He has made a huge positive impact on the campus and he is a very down to earth guy frequently seen in Missoula. The UM-Nike work pipeline is incredible too.

In general, UM has had a major issue touting their successes. That tide is changing in the last year or so, including trumpeting the overall University’s top ranking in Montana, the top-rated business school program in the big sky, the highest pass rate on the cpa exam among public universities in the west, etc. There are lots of great things brewing and it’s funny how some people have to throw out uneducated opinions rather than facts. Unfortunately, it only makes you look stupid when you do that.
As a CPA, you touting the cpa exam rates is funny to me. MSU had that distinction for something like 5 years running. We had kids from UM come to MSU because our program was better. MSU also ranks higher in nearly every ranking out there when it comes to universities in Montana.
As a CPA as well I thought the same thing. Unless something has gone horribly wrong at MSU there's no way missoula has a higher passing rate unless they are like 3 for 3 compared to 50+ MSU grads taking the test.
Facts be facts. Second only to Gonzaga in the West.

http://news.umt.edu/2018/09/090418acct.php
Where did they get these facts? I looked for a while this morning for any source that has these statistics and the ONLY article I could find after several pages of a Google Search and the only thing even mentioning UM was the article you referenced. Sorry about my skepticism but I am going to need a source other than the UM website.

Exactly, how many students at each school took the test? This statistic may be true, but it also may be cherry picked.
So just to end this conversation, these stats are 100% true and 100% fickle. Mostly because students have zero requirement to report their CPA scores to their school post-graduation (if they didn't pass all four exams while taking their Masters...those ones are super humans). For example, I was told by one of my professors that the stats are produced based off a variety of ways: common knowledge that a past student now has their CPA, sending out a survey to past students, or simply having a past student report to the college that they passed. The college can track past graduates for years after attending the school while they are in process of passing their CPA...but the CPA is not easily passed and takes years for some and a short time period for others. So year to year, is that stat based off past graduates from a certain class or is it just a rolling number when the school finds out who passed? Are you Griz AND Bobcat fans starting to see my point? They can put the CPA pass rate percentage in there because it can absolutely be an official stat...but it can be based off a collection of graduates from different years. The stat itself is bogus in my opinion but UM and MSU both use the stat as a way to promote their accounting program.

Call me a Bobcat fan who doesn't know anything, but to my personal knowledge I know about 14-15 friends/family friends/work associates who have sat for the exam after completing UM's accounting program and only 6 (again to my knowledge) have passed the exam. That is around a 43% passing rate. The stat is VERY fickle.

CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK TO MONTANA RECRUITING!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:57 pm

go96griz wrote:
Sprunk also serves on the athletics advisory board and has been on the business school’s advisory council as well. Sprunk and his wife are the named donors on the new athletic academic center. They also made a large donation to the business school to endow the Dean’s position. Lastly, Sprunk is largely responsible for the great Nike athletic deal that UM has for uniforms and other gear. He has made a huge positive impact on the campus and he is a very down to earth guy frequently seen in Missoula. The UM-Nike work pipeline is incredible too.

In general, UM has had a major issue touting their successes. That tide is changing in the last year or so, including trumpeting the overall University’s top ranking in Montana, the top-rated business school program in the big sky, the highest pass rate on the cpa exam among public universities in the west, etc. There are lots of great things brewing and it’s funny how some people have to throw out uneducated opinions rather than facts. Unfortunately, it only makes you look stupid when you do that.
Well, I am a graduate of both MSU and UM, so I don't really agree that I'm uneducated about these things. In fact, I'd argue that I have a rather unique point of view when it comes to evaluating the academic side of both schools. I don't have business training from either place, but I think it is much more on the schools themselves to trumpet their successes rather than make me go looking for anything, and MSU blows UM out of the water when it comes to marketing their academics. Probably because there is a lot more to trumpet at MSU.

And if you can look at plummeting enrollment, staff layoffs, and general lack of enthusiasm for the college as a whole as "the tide changing," then I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe go seek a position on Trump's staff, with that kind of blind enthusiasm for a sinking ship.

GO CATS GO!!!

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:06 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:57 pm
go96griz wrote:

Well, I am a graduate of both MSU and UM, so I don't really agree that I'm uneducated about these things. In fact, I'd argue that I have a rather unique point of view when it comes to evaluating the academic side of both schools. I don't have business training from either place, but I think it is much more on the schools themselves to trumpet their successes rather than make me go looking for anything, and MSU blows UM out of the water when it comes to marketing their academics. Probably because there is a lot more to trumpet at MSU.

And if you can look at plummeting enrollment, staff layoffs, and general lack of enthusiasm for the college as a whole as "the tide changing," then I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe go seek a position on Trump's staff, with that kind of blind enthusiasm for a sinking ship.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Team10 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:06 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
go96griz wrote:

Team10 you’re the absolute dumb ****** who got taken to the woodshed in this whole thread, yet you’re too dumb to even realize it.

First, you started the entire argument to begin with, by throwing shade at the fact Simpson and Owens stated publicly the business school and ties to Nike at UM were attractive. You were proven wrong. Then you made yourself out to be an even bigger ass hat when you claimed there were no ties to Nike and proven otherwise. Then you couldn’t stop yourself so you stated a COO like Sprunk could care less about UM students and opportunities at Nike only to be proven wrong on that one, too. I hope you’re “boom roasting” yourself and your absolute .000 batting average in this thread.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Michael held a PWO offer from the Cats. His brother Alec is a thrower for the MSU track team.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Cole had slight interest from the Cats as a PWO at LB.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Colten is one of the best football players in the state but his 5'9" height likely led to a lack of recruiting from the Cats/Griz. Anyway, he ran for over 2,000 yards this year at Columbia Falls and racked up a ton of tackles at MLB. Good luck to him!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Kameron had some interest as a WR from the Cats.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Liked Brock's film a lot as I saw him as a kid you could turn into a H-Back type on offense. Kind of a tweener on defense. Should be able to flourish at Tech.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Zach is one of the top corners in the state. Gets a chance to show his stuff at Carroll under a new head coach in Troy Purcell.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Had interest from MSU as Cooper performed well during the summer football camps.

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm
Team10 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
go96griz wrote:

Team10 you’re the absolute dumb ****** who got taken to the woodshed in this whole thread, yet you’re too dumb to even realize it.

First, you started the entire argument to begin with, by throwing shade at the fact Simpson and Owens stated publicly the business school and ties to Nike at UM were attractive. You were proven wrong. Then you made yourself out to be an even bigger ass hat when you claimed there were no ties to Nike and proven otherwise. Then you couldn’t stop yourself so you stated a COO like Sprunk could care less about UM students and opportunities at Nike only to be proven wrong on that one, too. I hope you’re “boom roasting” yourself and your absolute .000 batting average in this thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I threw no shade at either of them, that you are imagining. Yes, I did say that about Nike and internships, which I then said I was mistaken on. I still stand by what I said that the COO couldn't care less. The COO's son is not the COO. Cool, he's gonna give a commencement speech, whoopty doo! You think Erik personally comes around and talks to individual graduates and remembers their names or reaches out to a kid that is doing an internship or a new hire?! Yeah, right.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Team10 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Team10 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
go96griz wrote:

I threw no shade at either of them, that you are imagining. Yes, I did say that about Nike and internships, which I then said I was mistaken on. I still stand by what I said that the COO couldn't care less. The COO's son is not the COO. Cool, he's gonna give a commencement speech, whoopty doo! You think Erik personally comes around and talks to individual graduates and remembers their names or reaches out to a kid that is doing an internship or a new hire?! Yeah, right.
Holy ****** you just can’t help yourself to look any worse. Why are you doing this to yourself? Go back and read how involved Sprunk is in the internship program and the campus. It’s a ****** ton more than a commencement speech.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Good grief everyone shut up about Nike and UM.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Joe is one of the best players in the state and some fans may have forgotten just how good his senior season was progressing until he broke his arm in Week 6. Through his first five games, he had 971 rushing yards (only 53 yards behind Blake Counts). These two backs were well on their way to have a Sosa/McGuire battle to see who could break the AA rushing record first. The two advantages Joe has had over Blake since the beginning is speed and position versatility. I feel Blake has better vision and patience but Joe can break one to the house when he hits the open field. Joe mostly played offense his senior season but he was my top rated LB after an outstanding junior campaign. I also still feel Blake has been tremendously under recruited due to that lack of speed because he has everything else. But Cat fans should be very excited Joe decided to stay home and play for his hometown college. He is an excellent football player.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm
Team10 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Team10 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
go96griz wrote:

Holy ****** you just can’t help yourself to look any worse. Why are you doing this to yourself? Go back and read how involved Sprunk is in the internship program and the campus. It’s a ****** ton more than a commencement speech.
Who really cares what Sprunk does? There are successful graduates from every school that come back and help students. Let's get this topic back to MSU recruiting.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 pm

grizaddict please just go away. egriz is a great place for you as they are into name calling, creating fictitious stories, running down other programs / people, and picking fights because they have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives. Your shtick is old and tiresome. You aren't going to convince Bobcat fans to not like the Cats. Do something / anything positive and let those of us who want to talk about MSU do so.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 pm

You have absolutely zero self-awareness.

Stop. Wrecking. The. Thread. All of you.

Idiots.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm just gonna keep posting about Montana kids signing tomorrow. Here is my quick take on Ryan Lonergan: he is really friggin' good and will make an impact early in his career.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm
I'm just gonna keep posting about Montana kids signing tomorrow. Here is my quick take on Ryan Lonergan: he is really friggin' good and will make an impact early in his career.
Agreed - could even get considerable time next season