QB position

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: QB position

Post by KittieKop » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:04 pm
Team10 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 pm
I liked the idea of Gresch Jensen being the QB until that was a bust. Never really thought the Cats had much of an opportunity with Modster. So, now, that puts the Cats right back to where they were when the season finished, Two Freshmen, one redshirt Freshmen, a linebacker/running back used as a quarterback, one academically ineligible quarterback possibly coming back, and a high school commit out of Illinois, for next years options.

Who's it gonna be?
Coaches are looking to add a transfer AND freshman quarterback in this next class. I get the impression that Ekern is not on the board anymore.
I said it earlier in the thread, but I personally do not believe we have the ability to acquire the type of QB transfer that will come in and make an immediate impact in the passing game. I may be a Negative Nancy, but I don't see a passing QB look at our offense how it has been run over the last few years and then think to himself, "Yeah, that's where I will showcase my talents." Not to mention that all a kid has to do is see how many QBs this staff has recruited, only to convert them into another position. The only type of QB interested in coming here will be the kind we already have. Run-first, throw-second.

We were told by the current coaching staff that both Rovig and Baumann were the real deal when they were both recruited. That these guys were the future of Bobcat football. We were told how freakishly talented Beltran is. Then give these guys a serious chance to win the job. Period. If one of these can't win the job, then we might have to start thinking we have problems either developing or recruiting the QB position.
Bite your tongue :-$

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:
I liked the idea of Gresch Jensen being the QB until that was a bust. Never really thought the Cats had much of an opportunity with Modster. So, now, that puts the Cats right back to where they were when the season finished, Two Freshmen, one redshirt Freshmen, a linebacker/running back used as a quarterback, one academically ineligible quarterback possibly coming back, and a high school commit out of Illinois, for next years options.

Who's it gonna be?
Coaches are looking to add a transfer AND freshman quarterback in this next class. I get the impression that Ekern is not on the board anymore.
I said it earlier in the thread, but I personally do not believe we have the ability to acquire the type of QB transfer that will come in and make an immediate impact in the passing game. I may be a Negative Nancy, but I don't see a passing QB look at our offense how it has been run over the last few years and then think to himself, "Yeah, that's where I will showcase my talents." Not to mention that all a kid has to do is see how many QBs this staff has recruited, only to convert them into another position. The only type of QB interested in coming here will be the kind we already have. Run-first, throw-second.

We were told by the current coaching staff that both Rovig and Baumann were the real deal when they were both recruited. That these guys were the future of Bobcat football. We were told how freakishly talented Beltran is. Then give these guys a serious chance to win the job. Period. If one of these can't win the job, then we might have to start thinking we have problems either developing or recruiting the QB position.
No offense, but I don't think anybody has said that Beltran was freakishly talented. And of course when Rovig and Bauman came in the coaches said they were the real deal. What are they supposed to say? "Yeah...this guy is pretty average but we couldn't land the guys we wanted."

Now that doesn't mean that Rovig/Bauman/Beltran are bad! I'm personally not that high on Rovig and think Beltran was brought in to be a backup, but I've been wrong before. I am high on Bauman, but I also realize with the rest of the team we have, and sans NDSU, we do have a contending team with a good QB, a redshirt freshman might not be the right guy to break in next year. A vet would be nicer for sure.

I do believe you're right that the last couple years have made it harder for them to recruit a QB. They can present what they want to run to guys, but these guys are going to want to see it being done first.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:45 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

No offense, but I don't think anybody has said that Beltran was freakishly talented. And of course when Rovig and Bauman came in the coaches said they were the real deal. What are they supposed to say? "Yeah...this guy is pretty average but we couldn't land the guys we wanted."

Now that doesn't mean that Rovig/Bauman/Beltran are bad! I'm personally not that high on Rovig and think Beltran was brought in to be a backup, but I've been wrong before. I am high on Bauman, but I also realize with the rest of the team we have, and sans NDSU, we do have a contending team with a good QB, a redshirt freshman might not be the right guy to break in next year. A vet would be nicer for sure.

I do believe you're right that the last couple years have made it harder for them to recruit a QB. They can present what they want to run to guys, but these guys are going to want to see it being done first.
Yes, Beltran is not freakishly good but he is a solid QB that is an accurate passer and good runner. He is a winner with a chip on his shoulder. His HS team in the Phoenix area, Centenniel high won the State Chamionship his senior year. His HS plays a couple of the big football HS's every year like Bishop Gorman and St. John Bosco. He has played at a high level.

Also, I remember Coach Cole saying in fall camp that he was really surprised a Pac 12 team didn't recruit Bauman. He said he is the real deal. Since he went to such a small HS he really had a lot of work to do on game planning and such. However, he did go to some big time football summer camp with a lot of top prospects and he performed right at the top.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:30 pm

The other factor with recruiting on any position on the offense is going into Choates 4th season I believe it will also be the 4th offensive coordinator and 4th QBs coach

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

We have been spoiled with freshman success at QB in past with both Lulay, DeNarius and even Chris Murray. Now everyone expects a freshman should be ready to play immediately. This is just is not a regular occurrence at DI football. The EWU QB, Eric Barrierre is a redshirt sophomore who would not have played till next year if Gubrud did not get hurt. Jake Maier at UC Davis did not contribute until his 3rd year of college football. Dakota Prukop had time to mature as a backup before getting a chance to contribute. Even Chris Murray could have used another year of development before playing as a 17 year old. Maybe you should allow Rovig, Bauman, Beltran and the staff a chance to develop before considering them failures.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe we can hire a few offensive grad assistants from EWUs staff and perhaps get some inside knowedge on how the hell they do it every single year. Barriere looks GREAT, sigh.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

We have been spoiled with freshman success at QB in past with both Lulay, DeNarius and even Chris Murray. Now everyone expects a freshman should be ready to play immediately. This is just is not a regular occurrence at DI football. The EWU QB, Eric Barrierre is a redshirt sophomore who would not have played till next year if Gubrud did not get hurt. Jake Maier at UC Davis did not contribute until his 3rd year of college football. Dakota Prukop had time to mature as a backup before getting a chance to contribute. Even Chris Murray could have used another year of development before playing as a 17 year old. Maybe you should allow Rovig, Bauman, Beltran and the staff a chance to develop before considering them failures.
Please go re-read the posts I have made in this thread and show me where I have once said Rovig, Bauman or Beltran have been failures. I actually said they haven't been given a chance to prove themselves, and even made a post earlier stating that I believe that our starting QB next season will be one of those three. Reading comprehension is hard.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Maybe we can hire a few offensive grad assistants from EWUs staff and perhaps get some inside knowedge on how the hell they do it every single year. Barriere looks GREAT, sigh.
Ash’s staff recruited him but he did not choose MSU.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Ash’s staff recruited him but he did not choose MSU.
In a way, he is the reason we got Murray.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:45 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:52 am
1984champ wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:05 am
I’m gonna announce tomorrow I’m going to the grocery store and paying some student loans off.
Settle down princess.
Their head coach of 20 years resigned at the end of the season. Probably a significant factor in Tyler’s change of commitment.
That was posted on a Friday night at midnight, Hi-Line was probably a couple of cosmos in, I’ll cut him a little slack
It wasn’t cosmos, but I will order one tonight your honor, and I will have an Odools in 99s honor.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:45 pm
RobertCats wrote:
1984champ wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I’m gonna announce tomorrow I’m going to the grocery store and paying some student loans off.
Settle down princess.
Their head coach of 20 years resigned at the end of the season. Probably a significant factor in Tyler’s change of commitment.
That was posted on a Friday night at midnight, Hi-Line was probably a couple of cosmos in, I’ll cut him a little slack
It wasn’t cosmos, but I will order one tonight your honor, and I will have an Odools in 99s honor.
Preciate that boss.

Better than that Montucky Coldsnack ******.

/Somehow every Montana can turn any conversation to beer. It's a true gift

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm

I like our QB's. I'm very high on Rovig. We have 4-5 QB's on the roster NOW that can win Big Sky games. I would rather we spend out transfer time on transfer WR's!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:31 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:45 pm
RobertCats wrote:
1984champ wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Settle down princess.
Preciate that boss.

Better than that Montucky Coldsnack ******.

/Somehow every Montana can turn any conversation to beer. It's a true gift
Well if you got about 3 hours I can fill them with my problems.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

Please go re-read the posts I have made in this thread and show me where I have once said Rovig, Bauman or Beltran have been failures. I actually said they haven't been given a chance to prove themselves, and even made a post earlier stating that I believe that our starting QB next season will be one of those three. Reading comprehension is hard.
Here is your last comment Camo Cat:

“We were told by the current coaching staff that both Rovig and Baumann were the real deal when they were both recruited. That these guys were the future of Bobcat football. We were told how freakishly talented Beltran is. Then give these guys a serious chance to win the job. Period. If one of these can't win the job, then we might have to start thinking we have problems either developing or recruiting the QB position.”

Your post above is not a ringing endorsement, or is my reading comprehension that bad? My point was simple. It is rare that kids this young contribute right away. The norm is that they need time to develop (especially beyond their true freshman year).

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm
I like our QB's. I'm very high on Rovig. We have 4-5 QB's on the roster NOW that can win Big Sky games. I would rather we spend out transfer time on transfer WR's!
Have to agree we haven't seen much of Rovig or the two freshmen. It isn't panic time. I liked what I saw of Rovig in the Wagner game. I would have liked to see him play better teams but his season was cut short.

I think we have a QB already that can start. We need to be able develop them.

I think the bigger questions is who will be the QB coach and will Miller stay on as OC. That is going to have a big impact on the 2019 season.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

“We were told by the current coaching staff that both Rovig and Baumann were the real deal when they were both recruited. That these guys were the future of Bobcat football. We were told how freakishly talented Beltran is. Then give these guys a serious chance to win the job. Period. If one of these can't win the job, then we might have to start thinking we have problems either developing or recruiting the QB position.”

Your post above is not a ringing endorsement, or is my reading comprehension that bad? My point was simple. It is rare that kids this young contribute right away. The norm is that they need time to develop (especially beyond their true freshman year).
Yep...reading comprehension is terrible. Where did I say they were failures? In fact, I believe what I said is that they should be given a serious chance to win the job. I've stated in two different posts that the future of the QB position at MSU lies with one of these three guys already on the roster, and not with a transfer. Sorry you have trouble understanding that. I'm not here to fight; I don't wish to argue this point with you further.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Who's it gonna be?

Yep...reading comprehension is terrible. Where did I say they were failures? In fact, I believe what I said is that they should be given a serious chance to win the job. I've stated in two different posts that the future of the QB position at MSU lies with one of these three guys already on the roster, and not with a transfer. Sorry you have trouble understanding that. I'm not here to fight; I don't wish to argue this point with you further.
You are not here to fight, but you attack me for lack of “reading comprehension” because I dont agree with your point?? And to be clear, my point is that these young kids should be allowed time to develop before being thrown into the most important position on the field. And if you read your post literally, it says verbatim: “If one of these can't win the job, then we might have to start thinking we have problems either developing or recruiting the QB position”. THESE ARE TRUE FRESHMAN AND RS FRESHMAN! It is a little unrealistic to expect any freshman to contribute so early...

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Isn't having spring ball and fall camp giving these guys a serious shot to win the job. Roving had a chance in both and Didn't win it.
I personally don't think you put them in games we have a shot to win just to give them a shot. That occurs at practice and camp. Having said that, it doesn't mean they aren't capable because they haven't don't it yet.

Sports is not bigger than life