Big Joe Hirst

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:31 pm

catatac wrote:Was anybody paying attention to Bolton against Weber? Kramer has him tabbed as a definite Sunday player. I don't think he had a good game against Weber. Anybody notice? How about the other games? Is he progressing or not?
He got caught on a few stunts in the first half on their defensive end, but buckled down the 2nd half and had a good 2nd half. The first half I don't think him and the RG were in unison as they were not passing their guys off correctly on the crossing stunts. They got it figured out though at the end. I think our pass blocking is really coming on and we are starting to open some holes for the running game. Look at those pictures from the WEBER game and we have some good running holes as well as man on man pass blocking and a true pocket. If the RB's/WR's can do their thing, this team could be very very good by years end.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:36 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
catatac wrote:Was anybody paying attention to Bolton against Weber? Kramer has him tabbed as a definite Sunday player. I don't think he had a good game against Weber. Anybody notice? How about the other games? Is he progressing or not?
He got caught on a few stunts in the first half on their defensive end, but buckled down the 2nd half and had a good 2nd half. The first half I don't think him and the RG were in unison as they were not passing their guys off correctly on the crossing stunts. They got it figured out though at the end. I think our pass blocking is really coming on and we are starting to open some holes for the running game. Look at those pictures from the WEBER game and we have some good running holes as well as man on man pass blocking and a true pocket. If the RB's/WR's can do their thing, this team could be very very good by years end.
Cool - that is reassuring information from someone that obviously knows what they're looking at! I guess I never pay enough attention to exactly what all the big boys are doing on each play. I just know that whatever it is, it's important, and more than just standing up the guy in front of them and blocking!!! :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:02 pm

Coach McEndoo basically said that Bolton stunk up the joint and got dominated in the first half, had his ass chewed out at halftime, and came out and turned the tables on Weber in the second half. I have never seen Bolton play as poorly as he did in the first half, not only was he getting beat routinely but he was adding penalties on top of that. Thankfully, he came out with a fire in the second half and played great. I wouldn't be too worried about Bolton.

GO CATS GO!!!

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:08 pm

Was it Bolton who got those holding calls? He was basically tackling guys out of frustration after the play was over. I watched him for a few plays after the 2nd holding (tackling the pass rusher) call. He was getting left in the dust by Weber's end, #67, play after play, and Lulay was running for his life. Good to hear he did better in the 2nd half. They weren't even slowing down the pass rush in the first half.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:32 pm

catatac wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Cool - that is reassuring information from someone that obviously knows what they're looking at! I guess I never pay enough attention to exactly what all the big boys are doing on each play. I just know that whatever it is, it's important, and more than just standing up the guy in front of them and blocking!!! :D
I was curious about Bolton too and had the game recorded and watched the game 2-3 times. I watched the OL players in the first half and the stunts were causing problems. Bolton was getting bull rushed a few times too. No denying he was having trouble, but that DE is one of the best in the Big Sky no denying it. That guy is HUGE and QUICK. I guarantee you Bolton won't go against a guy like that again this year. Bolton lost the first half and won the 2nd half in my opinion. I know the one obvious sack though by #91 was a blown swap of a stunt play they ran. Bolton never picked up the guy on the cross/switch.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is that Bolton as a preseason ALL American at guard, not LT. He hopefully will be able to move back to RG for us I'm hoping as LT takes a while to learn to play that position as you have a lot more open space to account for/have to have quick feet.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:58 pm

Isn't the guy that Bolton went up against Fosmark...who's a pre-season Buchanan Award candidate?
If so, then major kudo's to Bolton for adjusting and stepping up his game at half-time against someone who has a chance of playing on Sundays next year.

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:44 pm

The game before Weber (Idaho), he was truly dominating. Bolton played an exceptional day.

Weber had two great DEs (one 1st team all conference last year and the other 2nd team). The 2nd team guy was 23 (had been on a Mormon mission).
Bolton just had a bad game at tackle. His strength is his huge strength and size which is great at Guard, but Tackle is a little different. At Guard he is all world. At Tackle (playing out of position to some degree) he is great (just having one bad half).

The LT (or left tackle) is Jensen. That is the back side of the QB. There footwork, long arms, size, and speed is very important because that is where the fast DE, corner, and LB come from and there is typically no help. You know the LT had a bad day by the QB being carried off from blind hits.

In general the OL has only given up a 5 or so sacks all year. Our D had 5 last game and almost every game.

Don't worry about Bolton, he is as good as advertised.

eastcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by eastcat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:38 pm

The defensive end across from Jeff Bolton in the Weber game was an all-confrense player, he had like 4 sacks going into that game, and the other d-end across from jensen had 5 1/2. Kramer did say Jeff will play on sundays but he meant it as a guard. That is why when Joe is back and going he will move back to guard for either Fig or Brant. I doubt they will put Jensen on the bench because Bolton is a true guard and Kramer thinks of Jensen as the next Swaggert starting 40+ straight games.

But who ever gets put on the bench, it will only help our team. We have been short Oline man in the past, but i really think we are starting to addres some of our weakness in recruiting.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:23 pm

Well, the O-line as a unit better be ready to play a full game this week, because Portland State has a big, fast, deep front seven. They consider their front 7 their strength, as do we. They have a good defensive lineman who transferred from Kansas who apparently is a bigmouth jerk - before the Eastern game, he went over into their warm-ups and called the Eastern guys out (I would say a 41-21 butt kicking answered that pretty well...)! Sounds to me like the folks who sit down in front on the pressbox side need to "tell this kid hi and welcome him to Bozeman, Bobcat-style."

GO CATS GO!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:42 pm

BobcatLionFan wrote:
In general the OL has only given up a 5 or so sacks all year. Our D had 5 last game and almost every game.

Don't worry about Bolton, he is as good as advertised.
I've noticed that too-no matter who we've played, the other team's quarterback has been sacked spectacularly several times-even Colorado State-with many big losses. Whereas the few times Lulay has been sacked it's usually for minimal losses. I think part of the credit goes to Lulay, who we all know has a great knack for scrambling out of trouble and even getting big gains when the pocket breaks down, but also the play of the offensive line.

Watching Mollohan, Cooper, Clark, Lowe, Gluhm rush a passer is a sight to behold. Lots-o-speed.

PSU will pose quite a challenge. Their 2 defensive tackles are bigger than all of our offensive linemen except Bolton. I imagine running up the middle is out of the question on Saturday.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:57 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:PSU will pose quite a challenge. Their 2 defensive tackles are bigger than all of our offensive linemen except Bolton. I imagine running up the middle is out of the question on Saturday.
Note that that doesn't mean we won't try it, unsuccessfully most likely, many times throughout the day. Please Bailey, if it isn't working trying to go up the gut don't keep doing it and killing drives! [-o<

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:21 pm

Ditto [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

GO CATS GO!!!

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:17 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
BobcatLionFan wrote:
PSU will pose quite a challenge. Their 2 defensive tackles are bigger than all of our offensive linemen except Bolton. I imagine running up the middle is out of the question on Saturday.
3 TDs up the middle, Must have done something right.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:55 am

A few answers straight from the source about when/where Hirst and others on the Oline will be playing. From the gameday notes out of SID Bill Lamberty:
The rumor could become reality today. After missing five months with a knee injured in an early-summer pickup basketball game, Bobcat offensive tackle Joe Hirst is expected to start for the 'Cats this afternoon.

Bobcat coaches indicated Saturday morning that they plan on Hirst starting and playing as long as possible.

With Hirst's re-emergence, Jeff Bolton -- who started his sophomore season at guard but the first six games of this year at right tackle -- returns to left guard, his natural spot. Brant Birkeland will rotate between the two guard spots, spelling Bolton and Lawrence Figueroa, while Bolton will also spell Hirst.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon