Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Griz player arrested for assault

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Griz player, Justin Strong was arrested for felony assault in Pullman at a house party over the weekend. The student who was assaulted suffered a fractured skull. Justin Strong said he was acting in self defense. Bail was set at $50,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 pm

No charges have been filed yet and he was let go on his own recognizance. Pullman police said that Strong has injuries on his own face consistent with self defense claim and that eye witnesses claimed it was self defense as well. Not sure what will come from all of it. Not smart of him to be in that position regardless and I'm guessing he will end up suspended until it gets figured out on some level. Hurts the team no doubt.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:No charges have been filed yet and he was let go on his own recognizance. Pullman police said that Strong has injuries on his own face consistent with self defense claim and that eye witnesses claimed it was self defense as well. Not sure what will come from all of it. Not smart of him to be in that position regardless and I'm guessing he will end up suspended until it gets figured out on some level. Hurts the team no doubt.
The kid he beat has a fractured skull and is in a coma. Does that sound like he just defended himself??

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 pm

from egriz
Post by ordigger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 pm
I was just told that he may not play the rest of the year either. Some concern about other Griz players there also.
Last edited by Hawks86 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:No charges have been filed yet and he was let go on his own recognizance. Pullman police said that Strong has injuries on his own face consistent with self defense claim and that eye witnesses claimed it was self defense as well. Not sure what will come from all of it. Not smart of him to be in that position regardless and I'm guessing he will end up suspended until it gets figured out on some level. Hurts the team no doubt.
The kid he beat has a fractured skull and is in a coma. Does that sound like he just defended himself??
I have no idea as I wasn't there. That's why I'll let the investigation take place before I just assume Stromg is guilty and should spend his life in jail. If he is guilty and started a fight and beat the guy to near death, then it's a whole different ball game. I don't think you or I or anyone not directly there knows if thats what happened.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Spin it anyway you want, it still is a now a full on DUMPSTER FIRE!

:lol:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 pm

91 where did you read or see this person is in a coma? I read he had a fractured skull but have not seen a thing aside that. Not saying you're wrong at all just was curious where that came from.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:59 am

http://dnews.com/sports/wsu-athlete-inj ... e9cd8.html

From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:
According to court documents, the incident began around 2 a.m. at a house party on the 1200 block of Stadium Way in Pullman. Witnesses told police Bradley "Wyatt" Meyring, 23, of Pullman, placed Justin Strong, 22, of Missoula, in a headlock after a dispute at the party. Witnesses told police that once Strong got free of the hold, he and two friends allegedly chased after Meyring as he fled the residence. The party's host said she attempted to stop the three men from chasing Meyring, to no avail.

When the three men caught up to Meyring, he turned around and put his hands in the air, one witness told police. Strong then allegedly punched Meyring, who fell to the ground. The witness said Strong punched Meyring again while he was on the ground. Strong has a different account of events. According to court documents, Strong told police he was trying to break up a fight at the party that involved Meyring when Meyring punched him from behind. He said he chased Meyring out of the house, but couldn't find him and had "calmed down" and was going to return to the party when he ran into Meyring, "who balled his fists" outside the residence. Strong said he hit Meyring in self-defense and then stuck him again when he tried to get up, as stated in court documents.

Witnesses told police the other two involved in the assault are also football players from the state of Montana. Strong told police he didn't know the other men around at the time of the assault, as he was focused on breaking up the fight and protecting himself. Meyring, known in the WSU track program as Wyatt Meyring, is a senior weight-thrower from Edmonds, Wash., who transferred from a junior college two years ago and has seen only limited competition for the Cougars. In outdoor track, he has specialized in the hammer throw.

Pullman Police Chief Gary Jenkins said officers and emergency responders arrived on scene and found Meyring unconscious, with his eyes open, bleeding from his head. He suffered a fractured skull and a hematoma. He was taken to Pullman Regional Hospital and later transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane. A hospital spokeswoman was unable to release information regarding Meyring's status Monday evening. The University of Montana football team had a bye week last weekend.Jenkins said police are investigating and looking for additional suspects. Eric Taber, assistant communications director of the UM football program, confirmed Strong was involved in an incident in Pullman over the weekend

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 am

91catAlum wrote:
Still waiting for your coma verification...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
While I'm not doctor, but when the report says "...and found Meyring unconscious, with his eyes open, bleeding from his head", that, as I understand it, is in a coma-like state. That's close enough for me.
Coma: This is a sleep-like state of unconsciousness. The patient does not respond or cannot be awakened by any stimuli, such as voice, light touch, or pain. Vegetative state: This is a state where the patient is awake (eyes open) but not aware of himself or his surroundings.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:27 am

Grizaddict wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I have no idea as I wasn't there. That's why I'll let the investigation take place before I just assume Stromg is guilty and should spend his life in jail. If he is guilty and started a fight and beat the guy to near death, then it's a whole different ball game. I don't think you or I or anyone not directly there knows if thats what happened.
Even if this happens the way Strong claims, he will be charged. The first punch may have been self defense, but the second punch is what MAY cause him problems. (Notice I emphasize the word may, because of course we know he's innocent until proven guilty.)

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

Grizaddict wrote:91 where did you read or see this person is in a coma? I read he had a fractured skull but have not seen a thing aside that. Not saying you're wrong at all just was curious where that came from.
I read it on egriz after first hearing the news on Facebook. I figured it must be true since the folks over there tend to downplay facts in situations like this, rather than make them sound worse. If it's not true then I apologize for repeating inaccurate info.

In any case, it's a serious head injury, he was unconscious, and was flown to Spokane. That doesn't happen unless things are serious.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Just woke up, chief. I sleep from 11 to 7. Don't act like I was avoiding the question.
See my response above.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am

Kids will be kids. Play him until the courts are done with it.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:54 am

Rich K wrote:Kids will be kids. Play him until the courts are done with it.
I assume this is sarcasm, but it is early in the morning, and my antenna isn't working too well. If he was charged with a felony, there isn't even a choice to be made. He is off the team until it is resolved, under the Athlete Conduct Code (which completely ignores the all constitutional rights, but that is an argument for another day).

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:05 am

What was he doing in Pullman? Does he have a class there? or attending a seminar? or was he there for the party?

If it is the last question, then that is a huge mistake?
Stay home and get to bed by curfew. Does Stitt have a curfew for his players?

Were their other griz players there? Were they the ones saying he acted in self defense? If so, of course they are going to say that.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 am

grizpack wrote:
Rich K wrote:Kids will be kids. Play him until the courts are done with it.
I assume this is sarcasm, but it is early in the morning, and my antenna isn't working too well. If he was charged with a felony, there isn't even a choice to be made. He is off the team until it is resolved, under the Athlete Conduct Code (which completely ignores the all constitutional rights, but that is an argument for another day).
Yes, it was sarcasm, and probably not well played.

However, if I'm the coach, Strong never sees the field again, even if he's telling the truth, and without further investigation, and even if the Code doesn't specify it. The Code may demand that he do something, but a Coach can sure enough determine if he plays or not.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 am

Rich K wrote:http://dnews.com/sports/wsu-athlete-inj ... e9cd8.html

From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:
According to court documents, the incident began around 2 a.m. at a house party on the 1200 block of Stadium Way in Pullman. Witnesses told police Bradley "Wyatt" Meyring, 23, of Pullman, placed Justin Strong, 22, of Missoula, in a headlock after a dispute at the party. Witnesses told police that once Strong got free of the hold, he and two friends allegedly chased after Meyring as he fled the residence. The party's host said she attempted to stop the three men from chasing Meyring, to no avail.

When the three men caught up to Meyring, he turned around and put his hands in the air, one witness told police. Strong then allegedly punched Meyring, who fell to the ground. The witness said Strong punched Meyring again while he was on the ground. Strong has a different account of events. According to court documents, Strong told police he was trying to break up a fight at the party that involved Meyring when Meyring punched him from behind. He said he chased Meyring out of the house, but couldn't find him and had "calmed down" and was going to return to the party when he ran into Meyring, "who balled his fists" outside the residence. Strong said he hit Meyring in self-defense and then stuck him again when he tried to get up, as stated in court documents.

Witnesses told police the other two involved in the assault are also football players from the state of Montana. Strong told police he didn't know the other men around at the time of the assault, as he was focused on breaking up the fight and protecting himself. Meyring, known in the WSU track program as Wyatt Meyring, is a senior weight-thrower from Edmonds, Wash., who transferred from a junior college two years ago and has seen only limited competition for the Cougars. In outdoor track, he has specialized in the hammer throw.

Pullman Police Chief Gary Jenkins said officers and emergency responders arrived on scene and found Meyring unconscious, with his eyes open, bleeding from his head. He suffered a fractured skull and a hematoma. He was taken to Pullman Regional Hospital and later transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane. A hospital spokeswoman was unable to release information regarding Meyring's status Monday evening. The University of Montana football team had a bye week last weekend.Jenkins said police are investigating and looking for additional suspects. Eric Taber, assistant communications director of the UM football program, confirmed Strong was involved in an incident in Pullman over the weekend
The witness account certainly casts doubt on Strong's self defense claim.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am

Strong doesn't help his credibility about this when he doesn't disclose that other Griz players were with him. Even if he's telling the truth you cannot beat on someone after they're in submission. That's aggravated assault. It will be compounded if this person is seriously injured.