Smack?

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

eRat-a-Cat-er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by eRat-a-Cat-er » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:04 pm

The new 2004 MSU boobycat spirit song...

Image :wink:

What just thinkin' about the Griz does to most Cats! GO GRIZ!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:21 pm

BearBAC: Nice name.

If you don't like the rules, don't use this board. Don't gripe just because we strive for a certain level of decorum not seen on other boards. What others have posted on other boards is not our concern.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:33 am

If you are trying to make a point, point out specific posters and instances of hypocrisy, and then it is between you and them. As I said, this board has nothing to do with any other board, and we would actually rather that people behaved better here than anywhere else in the world. That would be the ideal situation.

You do know what your handle means in some circles, don't you?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:21 am

I'll take a stab at this one, even though I know bearBAC is just fishing for someone to get riled up. Flaming a coach or player for something they do wrong is a world apart in difference from personally attacking someone. Saying "Coach X was so stupid for pulling the first stringers out when we only had a 22 point lead" is different from claiming "Coach X must be having an affair cause he sure isn't watching any game film during the week." The first is fine as it is your opinion on a subjective issue, the second is not and will be edited or deleted. Hope that clears it up a bit. We put the rules in place on this board to try to keep some level of behavior on THIS board as this is the only one that we have control over. If the people that run other boards are more lax, that is their choice not ours.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:42 am

I may be wrong, but I doubt it, in welcoming KL/bear axed/bearBAC to our fine message board. Enjoy your stay, sir, and apologies for the tidiness.

I actually like the fact that your co-opting of my handle for your handle ended up giving you a moniker that is actually pretty funny. That's somewhat poetic justice.

eRat-a-Cat-er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by eRat-a-Cat-er » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:52 am

What just thinkin' about the Griz does to most Cats! GO GRIZ!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Smack?

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:22 pm

bearBAC wrote:Most of you have flamed the coaches and players on THE Nationally known MONTANA schools boards.
"Most of us" post rarely if at all at the UM boards... there are a few MSU people who like to stir things up there with the "personal attacks" of which you speak, just as there are a few UM people who are already starting to do similar things over here. By the way, if you think any Montana school is truly "nationally known" outside of the very small segment of the population that follows 1-AA football, you're way off!

Anyway, if the people who put this site and message board together want to ban the words "the", "is", and "it", they can go ahead and do so. It's up to the individual to decide whether they want to use the boards or not given the rules that have been established.

SeeHarg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SeeHarg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:52 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:point out specific posters and instances of hypocrisy
The Moderators of this fine, personal attack-free board wrote: Personal attacks against other posters or coaches and student-athletes of Montana State University will not be tolerated and will be edited or deleted
On to the show...
cat4life wrote: triple G, you have lost all credibility with the bobcat fans around the world for that ridiculous picture you put up. that is the most ridiculous face paint job i have ever seen.
Note the personal attack on the poster and his interpretation of a good facepainting job.
orsalak wrote: I have seen better face painting at little league games.
Note the insinuated personal attack against another poster’s maturity level.
PapaG wrote: One brother is a respected artist, the other enters facepainting contests on the internet (note: implies the original poster lacks intrinsic personal value when compared to his brother, as evidenced by his willingness to enter a contest that had something to do with facepainting, sporting events, and the internet, which I’m pretty sure are unrelated phenomena that should never be mixed with each other)
Note: italics added by me. Wouldn't want to be accused of misquoting, or paraphrasing, and thereby lowering the tone and content of this board to the lowest, most classess, bigoted, racist, sexist, ageist, looksist, puppy-kickingest point ever reached on any message board ever, even those run at concentration camps by the Nazis in WWII. Ever.
Bay Area Cat wrote: The average IQ of the Bay Area would increase noticably if a Raiders sell-out game was collectively abducted by aliens and flown to the planet ZSDRWES
Note broad, sweeping personal insult directed at an entire subset of society.
great lakes cat wrote: nice life washed up high school football star!
Note personal attack, riddled with assumptions leading to derogatory conclusions about a fellow poster, stemming (I believe) from that poster’s penchant for painting his face before going to football games.
Bay Area Cat, a little later, wrote: bronco: No more so than when you get liquored up on Keystone in the double-wide, get a little lonely, and type in "sheep lover"
Note stereotype-based personal attack, which degrades not only the poster to whom the post was responding, but also uses a hateful generalization of poor, rural whites. Although, I should add as a qualifier, later in that thread BAC said something to the effect of, “See, I can use negative stereotypes, too”, which I gather results in personal attacks using negative stereotypes being approved for general viewing on this board.
Bay Area Cat wrote: you really seem to spend a lot of time telling the world how much you dislike Bobcat fans (which is a silly and overreaching bias on its face)...
Oh wait, that one doesn’t have any personal attacks, it should go in the “Funny and Ironic Quotes” thread.

The criterion for inclusion here is that the post must have a personal attack against someone. Since the guidelines were vague, I've included all instances.

Please note that none of these posts have been deleted. Also note that no personal attack-presenting posts from F.riz fans were included, mostly because there were too many of them and I would have run out of space.

I’ll finish with the statement that I don’t bring these up to complain about personal attacks on the smack board. On the contrary, it’s my view that any smack board will (and in fact, should) be riddled with personal attacks. You can only type “cats rool F.riz drool!!” and “Kramer equals F.riz killer!” and “I (heart) cats and (heart with ghostbusters strikethrough thingy around it) the F.riz” so many times before things will devolve into attacks against the opposing fans’ town, personal habits, purity of genetic heritage, etc. It keeps things interesting and entertaining, and should be done liberally with the equal ingredients of creativity and gusto.

WhereDoITypeMySignature?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 am

You sure wasted a lot of time pulling together partial quotes (seemingly the mainstay of any smack poster) from various posts that ended up not even speaking to the original post. Try posting something worthy of not being relegated to the smack board. The smack board is the refuse pit, and shouldn't be the place where one spends all of their time. There are much better places to be.
Last edited by SonomaCat on Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeeHarg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SeeHarg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:06 am

Worst. Comeback. Yet.

You're not even going to take a swipe at explaining what constitutes an "approved" personal attack versus one that merits editing or the dreaded 'delete' button? Or when poking fun at another poster or fan group or city crosses the line into editable or deleteable?

But I did like how you sorta-kinda launched a veiled personal attack at me for using my time in 'non-productive' posts. Not to mention the explicit attack against smack boards and the implicit insult of their posters.
Last edited by SeeHarg on Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

WhereDoITypeMySignature?

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:14 am

Seaharq: words, words, words...just too many words to try and understand. While it was greatly done (of term paper quality!), its just too many words to read and understand all at one time...next time, how about drawing a picture so your point is more clear...thanks-bobcat fans

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:15 am

No. I don't care. Do whatever the hell you want. We'll delete you when you cross over the line that common sense dictates. I don't have the time or the passion to respond to intentionally nonsensical posts and arguments. I'm not a fan of smack boards. If it was up to me, they wouldn't exist. Ours is just here to keep that crap out of the real boards. I've spent too much time in here already due to a lack of self restraint in responding to silly posts, but I'm not very interested in continuing that trend.

Like I said, if you want to step up to something better, get involved in the other forums.

SeeHarg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SeeHarg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:34 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote: Like I said, if you want to step up to something better, get involved in the other forums.
Alright. In future, I'll stick to substantive stuff, like the No Football On Sundays thread in Bobcat Athletics. Oh wait, someone already took the cathlophobic AND anti-semitic positions. Guess there's no intellectual gold left to mine there.

By the bye, there's nothing nonsensical about my posts. They raise legitimate questions (but I'll grant that they frequently illustrate absurdity by being themselves absurd, as in the posts where I pretended to be a middle schooler who was excited about the edit) about consistent treatment. You guys create that juvenile friz edit and then accuse others of being childish. You engage in personal attacks and then feign outrage when someone else does. All I've done is point out hypocricy.

Now that I think about it though, I guess it is a bit nonsensical for me to continue to waste creative energy here when you guys clearly lack the will or ability to respond with something other than the predictable, "Uh, gee, that sure was a dumb post" or "Sigh, I'm just not as immature as you and am not interested."
So, Touche.

WhereDoITypeMySignature?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:48 am

BearBac: Please find one personal attack I have ever made on the eGriz board and report back with your findings. Good luck.