Idaho's Future

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Idaho's Future

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm

I believe the sunbelt's vote on conference members comes up next month, it will be interesting to see what Idaho does when they are kicked out of the sun belt. Apparently, the University's President had to give a power point presentation on why they should stay. good laugh http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... id=DELLDHP

This prompted me to go over to their board and see what they're saying about the future. Most seem to be delusional, and are very sure that the sun belt will keep them around, a few see the writing on the wall. I did find this gem though, they do think highly of themselves.
And doesn't have media in the largest demographic of the state openly minimizing one of their Universities every chance they get.

NebrVandal wrote: That's because people in Bozeman & Missoula have drank that Sky kool-aid and to them the Sky is the cat's meow. Montana also doesn't have a metropolitan university of distinction to compete against for students.

I'm fairly certain both Montana school's DOUBLE Idaho's home game attendance, and up until recently the griz have always dominated the states media outlet's. These guys are going to be really sad when we lay the wood to them next year. Maybe actually knock some sense into where they belong.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Idaho's Future

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am

Kind of pathetic.....the thing I took away, is the whole conference is a disaster.....nationwide there's a bunch of lower tier FCS conferences parading around as FBS....

The future Vandal non-conference schedule was interesting....there wasn't one power FBS program that is willing to travel to Moscow....what a joke.

I hope Vandal fans wake up and come back to the Big Sky where they belong.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:37 am

It seems highly doubtful that UI won't be kicked out of Sun Belt, but what about NMSU? Are their chances any better for being allowed to stay in the SBC? If not, the BSC would seem to be the most logical landing spot for them too. Their program isn't really in much better condition than UI's, is it?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:01 pm

John K wrote:It seems highly doubtful that UI won't be kicked out of Sun Belt, but what about NMSU? Are their chances any better for being allowed to stay in the SBC? If not, the BSC would seem to be the most logical landing spot for them too. Their program isn't really in much better condition than UI's, is it?
I think they're axed too, from everything I've seen. I wouldn't mind having them in the BSC but we would have to kick someone out, I think the most logical choice to boot would be UNC. I don't see that happening though, I highly doubt we will extend an invitation to NMSU, but I guarantee we welcome Idaho back with open arms... it just remains to be seen if they think they are too good for us.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
John K wrote:It seems highly doubtful that UI won't be kicked out of Sun Belt, but what about NMSU? Are their chances any better for being allowed to stay in the SBC? If not, the BSC would seem to be the most logical landing spot for them too. Their program isn't really in much better condition than UI's, is it?
I think they're axed too, from everything I've seen. I wouldn't mind having them in the BSC but we would have to kick someone out, I think the most logical choice to boot would be UNC. I don't see that happening though, I highly doubt we will extend an invitation to NMSU, but I guarantee we welcome Idaho back with open arms... it just remains to be seen if they think they are too good for us.
What other choice would they have? I can't see playing an independent schedule as being a viable long term option. Certainly no other FBS conference would take them. Do you think they might really just drop football all together, rather than coming back to the BSC? I know that many of the fans on their board have suggested that, but if/when it actually came down to it, would they really take such a drastic step? I know that most of their fans seem to think that dropping back down to FCS is a fate worse than death.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:02 pm

On a slide they stated "USA Today: Kibbie Dome a top 10 football environment". Are they talking strictly about Sun Belt environment? 8-[

I also liked the listing of other Sun Belt schools that did poorly in non-conference games. Kind of like saying "you guys suck too".

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:13 pm

The Butcher wrote:On a slide they stated "USA Today: Kibbie Dome a top 10 football environment". Are they talking strictly about Sun Belt environment? 8-[

I also liked the listing of other Sun Belt schools that did poorly in non-conference games. Kind of like saying "you guys suck too".
That PPT presentation brought to mind the old saying..."you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t".

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:52 pm

I didn't fully realize just how TERRIBLE the Sun Belt Conference was!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:38 am

Kibbie dome can be a fun loud place but hasn't rocked since the 80's when they were in the BSC. And was really good crowds for Montana schools.

2017 full time member in BSC for football.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Idaho is a perfect fit for the Big Sky, New Mexico State however in my opinion should go to the Southland conference. I think they would be a great fit for that conference.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

SkyRider
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SkyRider » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:57 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:I'm fairly certain both Montana school's DOUBLE Idaho's home game attendance...
You think? :wink:

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 am

SkyRider wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:I'm fairly certain both Montana school's DOUBLE Idaho's home game attendance...

Skyrider....your picture tells a thousand words...great shot. You think those stands will be empty when the Cats and the Griz go to Moscow when UI comes back to the Big Sky? I think not...

I'm hoping the Cats give Idaho a beat down next September...to wake up the Idaho alumni about the level of competition in the Big Sky.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:01 am

SkyRider wrote:

Maybe that was taken right after halftime and everybody was still outside re-tailgating? That's about how our crowds look at that stage of the game. Or do they not allow that there?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am

Looks like they averaged about 11k last season ... not good.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Looking at the photo you can visualize Idaho's plan to tear out the existing seating and lower the entire floor to accommodate another 10-15 rows adding another 3,500 or so seats. This will take the sideline seating to 19,500. Bowling in the ends will take total seating capacity to 25,000+. Need money.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Looking at the photo you can visualize Idaho's plan to tear out the existing seating and lower the entire floor to accommodate another 10-15 rows adding another 3,500 or so seats. This will take the sideline seating to 19,500. Bowling in the ends will take total seating capacity to 25,000+. Need money.
So their current capacity is about 16,000...is that correct? If they're currently averaging only 11,000, it seems like expanding to 25,000 would be a bit of overkill, at least for the immediate future. I'd be curious to know what they averaged back in the late 80's/early 90's when they were the top program in the BSC.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm

SonomaCat wrote:Looks like they averaged about 11k last season ... not good.
I can't find the article now, but I remember seeing somewhere on Idaho's forum that 45-55% of that attendance was comp. tickets... Paid attendance was at like 6,300 avg.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 pm

John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:Looking at the photo you can visualize Idaho's plan to tear out the existing seating and lower the entire floor to accommodate another 10-15 rows adding another 3,500 or so seats. This will take the sideline seating to 19,500. Bowling in the ends will take total seating capacity to 25,000+. Need money.
So their current capacity is about 16,000...is that correct? If they're currently averaging only 11,000, it seems like expanding to 25,000 would be a bit of overkill, at least for the immediate future. I'd be curious to know what they averaged back in the late 80's/early 90's when they were the top program in the BSC.
Capacity ranges from 16,000 to 17,500 depending on your source. The 17,500 most likely comes from a standing room only game vs. Boise State.
Their best year in the BSC was in 1993 when they went 11-3 overall. Lost in semi-finals of the playoffs to Youngstown State. Other two losses were to the griz in Moscow and the CATS in Bozeman. Couldn't find avg home attendance, but figuring they played EWU, the griz, Boise State and the playoff Boston Terriers (dropped football in 1997) at home, the avg attendance would have been huge. Idaho is certainly in the college football twilight zone. AD Rob Spear keeps saying moving back to the BSC is financial suicide. Other responsible financial analysts say just the opposite.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:32 pm

They really isn't much space to really add to the capacity in a cost efficient way. And if the drop the field and ad seats, I remember they had some corners about the indoor track.
Bowling in the ends is building in from the wall to the field as one end has the athletic department and weight training facilities which wouldn't be moved.

And as.others have reported, bsu gets the glory and the boosters so expansion isn't going to happen unless Dennis Erickson or other alumi cough up about $50 million to start as seed. In retrospect, UI sport budget was about 2 or 3 million a year, check the sun belt brief for factual.

Actual attendance numbers are on the NCAA football statistics pages and their are a few threads on here that have some numbers. About 19000 was the record against BSU when thy were both in the BSC. But if you check out the NCAA FBS rules, they should have been booted because they don't have the capacity required to be in the FBS.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

From what I've read, they're more focused on getting a new basketball arena built.