Cat Grads Make More Than UM Grads

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Cat Grads Make More Than UM Grads

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Surprised both numbers are as low as they are, tbh.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/ ... nteractive

MSU grads earn $39,700 10 years after enrolling.

UM grads are at $34, 100.

Carrol is tops with an average of $44,000.

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Cat Grads Make More Than UM Grads

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:23 pm

What's the takeaway, in your view?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Would be interesting to know what percent of those ten year after grads are docs. My guess is that the Carrol% is the highest, followed by Bozeman and then Missoula. The salaries docs make are large enough above the median to affect these #s to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Grizlaw wrote:What's the takeaway, in your view?
Just for comparison I looked at MT and then ND. The column I found most interesting was the Over/Under of the expected salary.

Almost without exception the ND school graduates were Over the expected salary, while the MT graduates were very much Under the expected. In ND that is probably the oil patch influence, and in MT we are still continuing to be able to create some of the lowest pay in the nation. A very interesting column of data.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Honestly, the difference is so minimal that it's not good for much except smack talk. Both are pretty low, which isn't surprising given the high acceptance rate at both schools.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:37 pm

Ok proud Dad just has to brag a little. My kids are a little better than double the average at ten years from their MSU graduation. No they are not docs. Probably more important than their income is the fact that they are very happily married with children and passionate supporters of the Cats. Don't even get me started on how great my grand kids are.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 am

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 am

bobcat99 wrote:Surprised both numbers are as low as they are, tbh.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/ ... nteractive

MSU grads earn $39,700 10 years after enrolling.

UM grads are at $34, 100.

Carrol is tops with an average of $44,000.
Two thoughts that popped into my mind to help explain the low median:
First: Ten years after graduation is a prime time for young children to be at home; therefore a graduate could be a stay at home parent and receiving no income. (I did not scour the report, so maybe this was taken into consideration)
Second: The bulk of graduates from MSU stay in Montana, where salaries are typically lower than other places in the country.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:48 pm

The Butcher wrote:Second: The bulk of graduates from MSU stay in Montana, where salaries are typically lower than other places in the country.
I think this is the ballgame right here.

Carroll's higher salary rate is a function of the percentage mix of degrees they offer. If you went apples to apples (comparing graduates with specific degrees to each other), I'm sure you'd see similar results.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 am

Interesting data. It should be noted that they (correctly) used the median graduate salary instead of the mean or average salary when reporting the data. The average graduate salary would almost certainly be a slightly bigger number than the median salary due to being pulled up by the relatively small number of graduates with much larger than normal salaries. The median is much less affected by high (or low) outliers since it is purely measuring the 50th percentile or number in the exact middle of the ordered list of salaries.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:Second: The bulk of graduates from MSU stay in Montana, where salaries are typically lower than other places in the country.
I think this is the ballgame right here.

Carroll's higher salary rate is a function of the percentage mix of degrees they offer. If you went apples to apples (comparing graduates with specific degrees to each other), I'm sure you'd see similar results.
Both schools have degrees that have high starting salaries.

Do you you encourage students to get a degree in a field in which they can make a good living or do you tell them to pursue a degree because of the knowledge they will gain? I personally think it is a big mistake to earn a degree in a field where there is little chance of making enough money to justify the cost. America really needs to overhaul the education system to prepare students for employment.

My daughter is graduating with a computer science degree this spring and has already accepted a job starting at $83k a year. No she isn't staying in state. The argument that wages in Montana should be lower than other states becasue the cost of living is lower doesn't hold water in my opinion. Every company I have worked at has used that logic but they mostly do work outside of Montana. Oh well what do you do if you want to stay in state.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 am

Not addressed to me, but I'll offer an opinion that's worth a wooden nickel.

I think MSU students probably choose fields of study have that more financial up side.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.