PEDs in the NFL

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

PEDs in the NFL

Post by MSUcantouchus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 pm

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/890 ... d-question" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good read

I hate dark pink

SonomaCat

Re: PEDs in the NFL

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am

Thanks for posting -- my boss just sent me that today as well. It definitely does seem like there is a lot of this stuff going on in virtually any of these major sports. When you have that much money on the line, people aren't going to pass up an opportunity to gain even the slightest edge that separates a "wannabe" from a "star."

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 am

There are professionals. What is the big deal. It is their body. They are not hurting others. We all want to be entertained. Deer Antler Spray is a nature substance, just like HGH. What harm can it do?

Kind of sounds like the debt over Mary Jane. So if you smoke MJ, you should not have a problem with professionals using PED's.

Or are you a hypocrite?

Just for the record. I do neither.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm

BobCatFan wrote:There are professionals. What is the big deal. It is their body. They are not hurting others. We all want to be entertained. Deer Antler Spray is a nature substance, just like HGH. What harm can it do?

Kind of sounds like the debt over Mary Jane. So if you smoke MJ, you should not have a problem with professionals using PED's.

Or are you a hypocrite?

I really don't care what they do, honestly. I agree -- they are entertainers. If they want to take shots of uranium in order to grow an extra arm, it's not much of a concern to me ... as long as it's acknowledged that they are doing it and everybody is on a level playing field. Strange you went for the "hypocrite" line, despite the fact that nobody in this thread even said anything negative about the fact that these guys are probably using PEDs.

We're not just talking about deer antler spray ... I think everyone knows that's kind of a joke and not the primary concern.

And yeah, these PEDs do, in fact, cause a lot of harm to their bodies ... but it's their own bodies, so it's not really my primary concern.

The part that bothers me is when people claim (or pretend) that it's not happening.

I've joked about this before, but if we really get down to it, if we want to truly get rid of performance enhancing activities, they should ban corrective lens use in sports. That's the only way I would have ever had a chance to compete at a high level -- if all of other people with superior athletic genes but crappy eyes weren't cheating on the eye part! :wink:

I don't smoke MJ ... but I also don't care if pro athletes (or any other person of legal age) do it.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Deer Antler Spray is next to useless. If you take a ton of it you will get some marginal benefit. What is confusing is that if you want to use IGF-1 then use the real stuff. IGF-1 is available to everyone (illegally) and that stuff works pretty well (used it for a year during my competitive years). It is expensive but these atheletes can afford it. Using Deer Antler Spray instead of IGF-1 is like using a baggie instead of a condom. WHY? This is similar to the HGH discussion in baseball. HGH does not a player make. It is called an aging drug for a reason. It's benefits (if taken in large doses over a long period of time) are not related to strength, speed or quickness. Pro bodybuilders take it with their steroids to increase cell generation. By itself it does little. The advantage is that it is hard to detect. I guess one way to look at it is that if a product is available legally to everyone then don't ban it. Only ban drugs that are illegal. Deer Antler spray is available in stores everywhere.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
BobCatFan wrote:There are professionals. What is the big deal. It is their body. They are not hurting others. We all want to be entertained. Deer Antler Spray is a nature substance, just like HGH. What harm can it do?

Or are you a hypocrite?

I really don't care what they do, honestly. I agree -- they are entertainers. If they want to take shots of uranium in order to grow an extra arm, it's not much of a concern to me ... as long as it's acknowledged that they are doing it and everybody is on a level playing field. Strange you went for the "hypocrite" line, despite the fact that nobody in this thread even said anything negative about the fact that these guys are probably using PEDs.

We're not just talking about deer antler spray ... I think everyone knows that's kind of a joke and not the primary concern.

And yeah, these PEDs do, in fact, cause a lot of harm to their bodies ... but it's their own bodies, so it's not really my primary concern.

The part that bothers me is when people claim (or pretend) that it's not happening.

I've joked about this before, but if we really get down to it, if we want to truly get rid of performance enhancing activities, they should ban corrective lens use in sports. That's the only way I would have ever had a chance to compete at a high level -- if all of other people with superior athletic genes but crappy eyes weren't cheating on the eye part! :wink:

I don't smoke MJ ... but I also don't care if pro athletes (or any other person of legal age) do it.
I went for that line because the MJ smokers always use. Why should one herb be ok to use and not another natural substance and a lot of sports fan do not want agree with PED's but many of them are MJ users. Personally, if a professional wants to use a PED, go ahead. I do draw the line for amateurs as many amateurs will be under the legal age. As for MJ, what we are now doing is now doing is not working. I could go on, but this is not about MJ use.

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 pm

For one it creates an uneven playing field. Second no one knows the future side effects of these drugs. What is wrong with wanting a clean sport?

I hate dark pink

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 pm

MSUcantouchus wrote:For one it creates an uneven playing field. Second no one knows the future side effects of these drugs. What is wrong with wanting a clean sport?
Most everyone wants a "clean" sport. I guess I am of the belief that it may be next to impossible. There is so much money involved that the amount of time and money expended to defeat the testing will always out pace the time and effort to catch players using. Plus I would not ban any substance that is legal for the general public. Why ban substances that the government deems low risk?? There is not a legal product out there that does much good!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 am

Oh its too hard, lets not even try.

I hate dark pink

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 am

All of the parties involved always say " we want a clean sport", the players union tries to block and change in testing, the owners only pay lip service, because they are only concerned with the revenue. Nobody involved wants to actually catch anybody doin this, it's all a smoke screen.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Or are you a hypocrite?

I went for that line because the MJ smokers always use. Why should one herb be ok to use and not another natural substance and a lot of sports fan do not want agree with PED's but many of them are MJ users. Personally, if a professional wants to use a PED, go ahead. I do draw the line for amateurs as many amateurs will be under the legal age. As for MJ, what we are now doing is now doing is not working. I could go on, but this is not about MJ use.
I doubt MJ users are the primary demographic calling for the elimination of drug use in pro sports.