SAY IT AINT SO!!! (Note: Hoax!)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

SAY IT AINT SO!!! (Note: Hoax!)

Post by Cats15 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I was reading an article on McGee in the Billings Gazzette and read through some of the discussions and this is what one TCU fan wrote
Not to burst the cats fans bubble, but I have heard from several good sources, that McGhee is seriously considering transfering up to TCU next year. His uncle, clay jennings, is an assistant there and we don't have much for quarterbacks after Daulton graduates. Fort worth is a half hour from his hometown and I think we might get him back to the area, that's the word out here anyway. Your loss would be our gain. It's possible to have "too good" of a freshman year, for the fans anyway.
What is the chances of the actually happening!? I hope .0000001%

here is the article http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... 03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: SAY IT AINT SO!!!

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Well, he'd lose of year of eligibility wouldn't he? I don't see that being a good move for him, but I don't know all of the circumstances.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I hope it's just someone messing with the Gazette board.

McGhee has said that he wants to win championships, and that's why he chose MSU over Air Force - Air Force is in the same conf as TCU, and while TCU has a chance of breaking into the BCS Championship game, it's still unlikely.

But as mentioned, I'm sure there would be other factors involved.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I'd be surprised by it, he wouldn't be able to play next year as you have to sit out a year for transferring. Trading a chance to spend four years making a name for himself or transfer, sit a year and then hope you can win the job a year later to finish out the final two years of school? Doesn't sound like a good plan, but who knows. Here's hoping not though. McGhee could easily break every record imaginable at MSU and should be a contender for the Payton almost every year. Pretty good exposure.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Yes I believe he would have to sit out a year, without that all kinds of good FCS players would be picked up by FBS teams.

Hopefully this is just wishful thinking by some TCU fans. I believe that McGhee is pretty committed to the program here.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:39 pm

He would have to sit out a year and then compete for the starting role the next two seasons. Here he is clearly in contention if not the undesputed starter for 4 seasons, ie, no immediate competition. It doesn't make sense. He says he likes it here. TCU can't be courting him, legally. It just doesn't add up. TCU? Really? C'mon. Appears to be some fan of another team trying to rile us.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:40 pm

:no: :sick:

Cleaning the vomit off my keyboard as I type.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I think the other thing to look at is the youth of this offensive team and the connections he has with them, several of them being Texas kids too. I think that he has to know that he is set pretty well for his college career with players around him and that this group has a real shot at making it all the way before he graduates. Also keep in mind that these are they same people that said he was too short for the QB position a few years ago.

DM seems to be a A1 high character guy and I don't see him selling out because TCU finally woke up and realized that they screwed up.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm

He is a thoughful and smart young man, with a very grounded father. I think that it would be great if we could contribute to buying his dad a plane ticket to watch the Weber game.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Cheese and rice! That would break my heart. But anything is possible since we as fans know little to nothing of what is actually occurring - if anything.

Certainly an argument can be made for playing closer to home in a chance to paly in front of more family and friends. But looking at who TCU has used for QBs that last several years, McGhee does not fit that profile. Dalton is what? 6'2"? McGhee is 5'11"? Never mind the fact that he was overlooked by several major schools due to his stature and being part of a run-heavy offense in high school.

The cynic in me says that while McGhee says he likes it here, it very much could be good PR on his part.

The last thing I think of is how many notable transfers have gone to the FBS from the FCS and had success as theorized by a move to TCU?
Last edited by Bobcat Sig on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm

allcat wrote:He is a thoughful and smart young man, with a very grounded father. I think that it would be great if we could contribute to buying his dad a plane ticket to watch the Weber game.
I dont think that is in compliance with NCAA rules

Walk-on

Post by Walk-on » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 pm

LTown Cat wrote::no: :sick:

Relax up there! Speaking of vomit. The puke that posted the comment was anonymous and listed no references. Probably can't even qualify for a credit card.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Walk-on wrote:
LTown Cat wrote::no: :sick:

Relax up there! Speaking of vomit. The puke that posted the comment was anonymous and listed no references. Probably can't even qualify for a credit card.
can anybody say Cat-envy :P

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:54 pm

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

GO CATS!!!

Viva Los Gatos
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Viva Los Gatos » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Is it April 1st?

What a rediculous comment. McGhee is here for the next 3.5 years. Write it down.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm

When was the last time you saw a player move up rather than down?

IYAACYAS

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

CPACAT wrote:When was the last time you saw a player move up rather than down?
Exactly my point!

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Actually there were some players during the Kramer era that did transfer up. There was an O-Lineman (can't remember his name, but started with an A) that transfered to Colorado State and was a starter. Lamata (sp?) a DT transfered to Arizona State after he left MSU to go on a mission and became a starter for them. There was also a big DT from Kramer's first year that transfered (I think his first name was Willie) I am pretty sure to a PAC 10 School after playing his true freshman year. Also, Jason Goodman tried to walk on with Washington. What all these guys have in common though is they played their true fresman year, so they had their redshirt year to use to sit out where DMac doesn't. There was also a griz DB that transfered to I think Boise State (Chote?).

It can happen, I just hope it doesn't in this case. DMac has a chance to become a legend here at MSU if he wants.

GO CATS!!!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:30 pm

A lot of these rules were changed a few years back, transfers are not allowed after the soph year, transfer up or across require sit out 1 year.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I have a hard time believing that statement. Alot of those comments on the Gazette are usually full of BS, so take it for what it's worth. I saw an interview with DM and he said the reason he is here is to win a championship, something unattainable in the FB(ull)S(***). I also heard that DM rally likes it here in Montana and has had a great experience so far.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell