Big Sky Conference Weekly Pick 'Em hosted by Bobcat Nation

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rtb

Big Sky Conference Weekly Pick 'Em hosted by Bobcat Nation

Post by rtb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:49 pm

Two new website features in two days? No, you aren't dreaming we(actually pretty much kmax) have been toiling away at the keyboard for the last few weeks to keep bringing you new features for the site. I'd like to take credit for it, but all I did was create the logo and applied pressure to make sure kmax was ready for the season opener.

We are hosting a second contest this year. This contest will test your Big Sky Conference knowledge and see who can successfully pick the most winners each week.

Each week you can go to http://www.bobcatnation.com/bscpickem.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to make your picks. Also, the link is available from the homepage under the contest tab.

Now, let's get to the rules for this contest.

-- 1 entry per message board user, must have message board login to enter
-- Each game entry will lock 1 hour before that game is set to kick off, meaning if there happens to be a game on Thursday night only that game will lock on Thursday night and you can make changes to the other games up until 1 hour before they kickoff.
-- Entries can be edited up until they are locked
-- Entries will be scored by awarding one point for each game winner correctly picked each week
-- Entries without valid picks for a week will receive 0 points for the week, that's right we award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul
-- Person with most correct picks in a week will win week
-- Person with most correct picks combined for all weeks wins contest
--A weekly tie-breaker is also required. To break any ties we are asking you to predict the highest number of points scored in any Big Sky Conference game during that week. The closest person will win the tie-breaker if needed. Note the tiebreaker entry will lock one hour before kickoff of the first game of the week.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

rtb

Re: Big Sky Conference Weekly Pick 'Em hosted by Bobcat Nation

Post by rtb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Don't miss out on the latest and greatest on Bobcat Nation!

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Nicely done gentlemen!!! Thank-you so much for providing more free entertainment.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Great, thanks a lot guys

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:25 am

I'll save some more poor souls from keyboard trauma as well by saying don't even both entering this contest, I have decided just 2 minutes I am going to win it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 am

Congrats to our winner for Week 1, catatonic1! He won by guessing all 9 games correctly (as did over half of the people entered) and by only missing the highest score of the weekend by 4 points.

Also please note that I made a slight modification to the tiebreak rule above. After reading it this morning I realized how it was wording was a bit off from what I could actually do. Previously it read:

"predict the highest number of points scored of any Big Sky Conference team during that week"

As it reads on the contest entry and as it is working it is actually:

"predict the highest number of points scored in any Big Sky Conference game during that week"

Thankfully those two are the same for week 1 so no harm but my apologies for the mix up there. Going forward the tiebreak is highest score in any game that a Big Sky Conf. team plays in, regardless of whether it is a BSC team or not.

I will be updating the results page to include ranks and a little better visual look but for now the results are up there.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 pm

As with the Coach's Challenge, I have updated the pick em with user rankings and some standings readability improvements. Additionally, viewing user's entries from completed weeks will now show correct/incorrect guesses.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon