Mens BB: halftime analysis/Nevada

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Mens BB: halftime analysis/Nevada

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:06 pm

As promised by your Bobcat buddy, Old Skool!

Down 44-28 to the Wolfpack. Interesting to note that Coach Huse started the game with a 3 guard set with Rush, Navarre, and Bynum. We appear to be able to play with Nevada defensively, but right now we just don't have any shooters. Perimeter game has been lacking big time, but Mbunga and Howard having good games inside.

Free throws and 3-pointers are killing us! Cats have to be about 5-13 or so from the line and we've only hit one 3-pointer out of probably ten or twelve attempts. Knock down just a few more of those shots and we are probably in this game.

Could be a tough start to our season, as after tonight's game we are on the road for the next. three games - Colorado, Boise St., and Oregon St.

MinusTheBear
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Mens BB: halftime analysis/Nevada

Post by MinusTheBear » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

horrible shooting from the charity stripe and the field.

Image MinusTheBear - MSU Bobcat Alumnus (2007)

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:23 pm

72-63 Nevada.
Not too bad of a performance. We need to step up our consistency and three point shooting. I think once we calm down we will be ok.

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I just think we need some games under our belt.

It appeared that we have moments where we looked good - Howard was awesome, Bunga was well...bunga
I thought Navarre was ok - horrible first half good second half.

We did not play together as a team but we played more as a team then any of the exhibition games
the pre season is going to be ugly but watch out when conference season starts...

btw food for thought - nevada was picked to win the wac. The leading scorer (number 5 i am 2 tired right now to think of his name right now) was supposively some high end recruit that decided to keep it local and signed with Nevada-Reno. By the time he leaves Reno he is going to be a freak! He can post up - drive - ****** he can play 3 positions awesomely! Good news - we held him to 19 points

This space for rent....

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:17 pm

It was a valient effort-but our execution was pretty flawed. An especially horrible 3 minute stretch to end the half did us in.

Nevada didn't play super well either-I think they shot under 40%. But they did hit a lot more of their free throws.

Mbunga and Johnson's finishing around the rim was atrocious. Mbunga's offensive timing has been out of sync for both exhibitions and this game. I'm sure he'll get it dialed in.

Will Bynum is a nice smooth player. I think he's going to really help us this year.

Howard sure plays well against the WAC. Last year he torched Boise State. This year he was our best offensive player against Nevada.

Nevada was just a notch better-a little longer and stronger at every position. Still-they weren't awe inspiring. We could have beaten them with a better shooting night. We've certainly seen and beaten better teams in the Fieldhouse over the years.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Just got back into Helena after a full, great day of Bobcat sports action. Valiant effort in the second half of the bball game by the Cats, despite shooting only 32% from the field. This team shows flashes of brillance. I think once they gell, mature a little, and get the team concept down, they will be a lot of fun to watch. But for now, I gotta go hit the sack!

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 am

Shooting and free throws need to improve. The PG spot I still would have major concerns. Also Dubunga struggles against big men his size and has to finish. Remember too this Nevada team was missing two starters and a key role player last night who are on disciplinary leave. That was per Jeff L. on the play-by-play.

The bench is of concern and Cameron Henderson and Larry Swann need to step up. Why did Swann not play?

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:27 am

DawsonPirate wrote:Shooting and free throws need to improve. The PG spot I still would have major concerns. Also Dubunga struggles against big men his size and has to finish. Remember too this Nevada team was missing two starters and a key role player last night who are on disciplinary leave. That was per Jeff L. on the play-by-play.

The bench is of concern and Cameron Henderson and Larry Swann need to step up. Why did Swann not play?
I think Swann is going to redshirt.

alasax
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by alasax » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Our perimeter defense is already better than it ever was last year.
Navarre will give other guards fits. He was matched with the top point out of the WAC and kept him contained the second half.
The intensity on d was noticeably improved.

Mbunga and Johnson were getting hammered on their shots under the basket. The refs must have thought this was an NBA game. 5-10 ft defenders were called constantly for blocking. 0-5 feet it was a free for all.

It is a treat to watch our penetrating guards. Been a while.

The next 3 games will give us a real bench mark for the season.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Will Bynum is a beast, btw. He is such an athlete, and I was extremely impressed with his defense last night.

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm not real qualified to speak to this topic. But, I thought our effort on defense was good. My wife and I both felt that improvement on rebounding should be a goal coming out of the game.

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 pm

barechestcat wrote:I'm not real qualified to speak to this topic. But, I thought our effort on defense was good. My wife and I both felt that improvement on rebounding should be a goal coming out of the game.
What the hell was a wrestling guy doing at a basketball game. :)

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 am

I was happily surprised at the run the Cats made to get back into the game. It looks like we will be able to play better perimenter defense this year. The biggest difference that I saw between the two teams is that Nevada had a lot players that had some serious hops. They were elevating about 6 inches higher than us going for rebounds and just made their shots at key times

The impressions that I came away with:

Divaldo - he should have a really good season again but missed a lot of shots last night near the basket
Howard = looked like he was really comfortable on the floor and should be MSU's most consistent threat on offense.
Brandon Johnson = looked like he just had a bad game.
Bynum - at least we have one player on the team that can drive to the basket and score
Rush = he was the one player we had that could create his own shot anytime he wanted to.
Rest of the Team - if they can find some consistent scoring from somewhere it would sure help.

The Cats are going to be a tough team to play towards the end of the season but have a long ways to go.