Welcome back!! PLEASE READ and REPORT PROBLEMS HERE!

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Welcome back!! PLEASE READ and REPORT PROBLEMS HERE!

Post by kmax » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 am

Welcome back to the BobcatNation message boards everyone!! As you can see we've made a few changes since you last visited, some forced and some just cause we could since we suddenly had the downtime to do it. While we think these new forums are going to be ever better than ever, the updates are far from finished and in some cases things were a bit rushed in order to try and get this back up as quickly as possible for our users. So, should you encounter any problems whatsoever, please report them here. If you are having troubles actually getting logged in, or with posting such that you can't report it here please send me an email at kevin@bobcatnation.com and I will help you out as quickly as possible.

Thanks everyone for your patience during our downtime, we hope you enjoy the new board!

Kevin, Brad and Randy

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

rtb

Re: Welcome back!! PLEASE READ and REPORT PROBLEMS HERE!

Post by rtb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 pm

One addition to this, we are obviously still working on the user interface/color scheme for the website. You'll probably notice things changing while you are viewing the site and that's because one of us is changing some of the CSS to try things out. If you see something with the look and feel of the site that you really like or that you can't stand please let us know. Any input is appreciated.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 am

I'm so confused! What? Where? Why?

Seriously, you guys are doing a great job! Thanks for getting us back online!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 pm

I have a laptop and no mouse. I've gotten used to using hot keys to navigate forward and backward (e.g. Alt + arrow left). While navigating on BN, on occasion I get a white screen saying the page expired, a lot like when you hit the back button if you're at your bank's web site. It never did this on the old BN, so I weren't sure if there's some kind of admin-ish setting causing this to happen. I haven't really been able to figure if there's a pattern to why this happens. It seems random.

Also, when clicking a link I've noticed the link doesn't open up in a new window like before. I know I could easily right click and elect to open in a new window but I don't always remember to do that and, like most people, don't want to lose my spot on the BN page.

Don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking, because I really do appreciate all your hard work in getting the site back up but I wanted to bring these items to your attention as I don't know if anybody else has noticed these issues.

Word up and keep it real.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

rtb

Post by rtb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:04 pm

Cledus wrote:Also, when clicking a link I've noticed the link doesn't open up in a new window like before. I know I could easily right click and elect to open in a new window but I don't always remember to do that and, like most people, don't want to lose my spot on the BN page.
Not sure on the back issue with the hot keys, I'll see if Kevin can answer that one.

The links should direct you to a new tab or window IF the link has been added since the board was restored. The old links that were posted before the crash won't go to a new tab. That is just a bug with moving the old stuff to the new board, but you should see that issue subside as we move to all new posts.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58 am

I've noticed a problem with dates listed for each post. On the front page, the most recent post is listed correctly, but on the actualy posts, the dates are listed as 2004/2005; a post I made about 10 minutes ago is listed as March 8, 2005.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 am

grizband wrote:I've noticed a problem with dates listed for each post. On the front page, the most recent post is listed correctly, but on the actualy posts, the dates are listed as 2004/2005; a post I made about 10 minutes ago is listed as March 8, 2005.
March 8, 2005 is the date you joined BN. If you look next to your user name at the top left it has the time of your post.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:02 am

GOKATS wrote:
grizband wrote:I've noticed a problem with dates listed for each post. On the front page, the most recent post is listed correctly, but on the actualy posts, the dates are listed as 2004/2005; a post I made about 10 minutes ago is listed as March 8, 2005.
March 8, 2005 is the date you joined BN. If you look next to your user name at the top left it has the time of your post.
Can't believe I missed that...mods, please ignore my previously mentioned issue.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:12 pm

Hey guy's I just noticed this, and I do not know if this is my problem - related to what RTB helped me with a couple day's back - or something with the new board. I am not getting email notification when someone posts in a thread i am watching. It is nothing that big obviously, because it took me 4-5 days to notice.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am

I know it is a small thing, but the "Save" button at the bottom of the "post a reply" text box is REALLY starting to annoy me. I can't even figure out where it "saves" to. Is there any way to remove it, or at least move it left or right of center?

Thanks guys!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm

[quote="mslacat"]Hey guy's I just noticed this, and I do not know if this is my problem - related to what RTB helped me with a couple day's back - or something with the new board. I am not getting email notification when someone posts in a thread i am watching. It is nothing that big obviously, because it took me 4-5 days to notice.[/quote]

I am also not getting the e-mail notifications. I was going to mention it, but thought I would wait for awhile, in case was just a minor kink that had not yet been worked out. Are most of the other members receiving the notifications?

rtb

Post by rtb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:36 pm

grizzh8r wrote:I know it is a small thing, but the "Save" button at the bottom of the "post a reply" text box is REALLY starting to annoy me. I can't even figure out where it "saves" to. Is there any way to remove it, or at least move it left or right of center?

Thanks guys!
Not sure if we can/will move it or make some adjustments to make it less prevalent, but if you click save it gets saved to your user control panel.(There is a link near the top of the page. If you go to the user control panel and look at the manage drafts link on the left hand side that is where you can access it and post it or delete it.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Guys, can we do polls like we used to?

Thanks!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:34 pm

MashTun wrote:Guys, can we do polls like we used to?

Thanks!
You sure can, it's just not a seperate option like it was on the old board. Just click the button to post a new topic, then just below the Save/Preview/Submit buttons you will see on the left side the words "Options" and "Poll Creation". Click the "Poll Creation" link and you should see all of the options to create your poll pop up below it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

kmax wrote:
MashTun wrote:Guys, can we do polls like we used to?

Thanks!
You sure can, it's just not a seperate option like it was on the old board. Just click the button to post a new topic, then just below the Save/Preview/Submit buttons you will see on the left side the words "Options" and "Poll Creation". Click the "Poll Creation" link and you should see all of the options to create your poll pop up below it.
Thanks Kmax!

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 am

Is there a way to change the poll color to something that doesn't resemble Fizzly colors? Anything but that!!! :mrgreen:

See the MMA thread in Bobcat Hangout

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:59 am

MashTun wrote:Is there a way to change the poll color to something that doesn't resemble Fizzly colors? Anything but that!!! :mrgreen:

Better?

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:10 pm

kmax wrote:
MashTun wrote:Is there a way to change the poll color to something that doesn't resemble Fizzly colors? Anything but that!!! :mrgreen:

Better?

SWEEEEETT!!!! You are the man! =D^

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:13 pm

mslacat wrote:Hey guy's I just noticed this, and I do not know if this is my problem - related to what RTB helped me with a couple day's back - or something with the new board. I am not getting email notification when someone posts in a thread i am watching. It is nothing that big obviously, because it took me 4-5 days to notice.
Sorry to bug you guys about this again, but I am still not getting the e-mail notifications. Do you have any idea what the problem may be? I assume that most members are receiving the notifications, or else I would have seen more comments regarding this issue.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:35 am

John K wrote:
mslacat wrote:Hey guy's I just noticed this, and I do not know if this is my problem - related to what RTB helped me with a couple day's back - or something with the new board. I am not getting email notification when someone posts in a thread i am watching. It is nothing that big obviously, because it took me 4-5 days to notice.
Sorry to bug you guys about this again, but I am still not getting the e-mail notifications. Do you have any idea what the problem may be? I assume that most members are receiving the notifications, or else I would have seen more comments regarding this issue.
Have you guys checked your spam or junk mail folders to ensure that they are not getting placed there? I have checked and double checked and am always getting mail so I know the system is able to send, just not sure why some people are reported they aren't getting them. Sorry bout the problems, I will try to fix it if I can find anything wrong but it seems to be working.