Hauck

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rtb

Hauck

Post by rtb » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:12 pm

I just wanted to post what the commentators said during the game...

They asked Hauck since he went to Montana and is from Montana if he now has he dream job. He said "No, I want to coach at the I-A level....I got a few calls about I-A jobs this year, but none of them interested me"

I understand if you want to move up, everybody does, but that is an arrogent way to put it!! Give me a break!! Be a little more humble, you aren't that great yet!

Bcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bcat » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:40 pm

Watching the game I caught that one also. Seemed to go out of his way to tell reporters no allegiance to UM, IA programs please call, taking offers. Sure sounds like he views UM as a short stop, stepping stone. Will be interesting to see how UM fans process that one. :?:

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:51 pm

Griz fans will look at this with very Rosey glasses especially if they win tonight, and then turn on him the minute he takes a new job.

Baby Hauck the next Mick Denehey.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:49 pm

Not exactly surprising that Hauck would say he wants to coach in 1-A someday if given the right opportunity...I'm pretty sure Kramer would say the same thing. Hauck looks so much like Beavis though when he's mad, it's uncanny!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:03 pm

Or is it Butthead? I always get those two confused :roll: Either way, I got a good chuckle out of your comment. Baby had a few things to get upset about tonite, so we got to see that "face" quite a bit.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:06 pm

It's Beavis, but only because he's the one with blond hair...the facial expression is the same for either one.

Bcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bcat » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:06 pm

MSU01,
I agree, good coaches will have goals, aspirations, and drive for the next level. Just too bad it came out on ESPN. No dig intended.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:54 pm

In a 10 point game, do you suppose any Griz fans will be a bit concerned, as I was, about Hauck's call for a fake field goal on the second drive of the game?

At that point, the Griz offense has amassed over 140 yards in 2 drives; they start at their own 9 on drive #2 and march to the Dukes 30 and face 4th & 4. The field condition is HORRIBLE and Hauck has ROUTINELY called fake/trick plays in situations like this all season. I'm sorry but before they even ran that "cute" little fake, I was STUNNED that he didn't just send out 8 for 9 Craig Ochs at that point and roll him out to run or pass for the first down. Stopping the fake gave JMU a much needed boost in momentum and, well, the rest is history...

I'm not saying this cost them the game, but I, for one, found it to be in the category of a coach "outsmarting himself"... Did anyone else feel that way at that point?

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:41 am

Yeah, I felt the same way at the time, but did not think it was too big a deal then since it appeared the griz were going to blow JMU out. But, this could have been a trurning point. Hauck just loves the trick plays-almost to a fault. I agree that he should have just run a regular play with Ochs who seemed unstoppable to me yesterday.

rtb

Post by rtb » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:Not exactly surprising that Hauck would say he wants to coach in 1-A someday if given the right opportunity...I'm pretty sure Kramer would say the same thing. Hauck looks so much like Beavis though when he's mad, it's uncanny!
I am not saying I don't expect coaches to have goals and look forward to coaching in I-A. I am saying the way he said it when they asked if being from Montana and going to school there was his dream job he responded No and then went into detail about his "offers" from I-A already. I hope Kramer has goals of I-A, but when that type of question is posed at least show some pride in the school you are coaching. The way the told the story it sounded like he didn't care one bit about being at Montana other than using it as a stepping stone.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:07 pm

rtb wrote:I am not saying I don't expect coaches to have goals and look forward to coaching in I-A. I am saying the way he said it when they asked if being from Montana and going to school there was his dream job he responded No and then went into detail about his "offers" from I-A already. I hope Kramer has goals of I-A, but when that type of question is posed at least show some pride in the school you are coaching. The way the told the story it sounded like he didn't care one bit about being at Montana other than using it as a stepping stone.
Gotcha...I did not see the comment on TV so I didn't know exactly how it came out.

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:52 pm

I saw hauck take Mullan out of the game after his cheapshot to the JMU QB's head, but did not know until much later that hauck put him back in the game pretty quickly thereafter. Has anyone heard his justification for that??? I was very surprised the refs did not throw Mullan out of the game-I mean it even made Sportscenter's bad plays highlights- but I thought even hauck would keep a kid on the bench after a play like that. I guess that is expecting a bit too much from my favorite coach.

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:10 pm

Hauck could also be sending a message to the UM that we need to offer our coaches multiple year contracts rather than yearly ones. Could be as simple as that. But if Hauck gets us deep into the playoffs next year some mid-major 1A teams will start looking at him heavily.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:37 pm

Re/Max Griz wrote:Hauck could also be sending a message to the UM that we need to offer our coaches multiple year contracts rather than yearly ones. Could be as simple as that. But if Hauck gets us deep into the playoffs next year some mid-major 1A teams will start looking at him heavily.
Hauck learned at the knee of Slick Rick Neuheisel. Nuance is not this gang's MO, neither is a hidden agenda. The state board of education wouldn't change the one year rule for Don Read; why would they change it for Bobby Hauck?

The reality is Hauck got caught looking into the future, and the fact that he didn't refuse comment until after the game would tell me as a Griz fan that he wasn't as focused on James Madison as he could have been. A more seasoned coach would have answered "it is my dream, right now, to be coaching my alma mater in a national championship game. Any other questions will be addressed after the season."

And putting Mullan back in the game after his embarrassing cheapshot was bad form by Hauck and may cost him a 1-A offer or two.

Robcat

Post by Robcat » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:38 pm

I agree with PapaG, Hauck had his mouth moving before his brain was in gear. However he is still a good coach maybe not the best at PR, but a good coach.

In regards to Mullen, he should have stayed on the bench poor choice by Hauck, actually he should have been ejected from the game by the officials. The game film should be turned into the BSC and he should have a several game suspension next year, assuming he is back for the Griz.

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:38 pm

The question is did Hauck see the severity of the hit when it happened?????

There are no replay monitors at Chattanooga, so I'm told. If Hauck followed the ball once it was thrown on that play he would not have even seen the hit. Thus thinking it was simply what Mullan got flagged for.

I'm not saying he didn't see it b/c he could have, but that might explain why he didn't send Mullan to the showers early.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:47 am

golfer wrote:Just a quick comment on the interview with Hauck. I watched the game and I remember the announcers talking about he wanted to move up in the coaching ranks, but I don't remember actually hearing the interview with Hauck. Did they show the interview?
They didn't show the interview. Listened to Hauck on his radio show last night and he basically said they mis-quoted him. He said he hopes to stay in Missoula for a long, long time and they lock him up and throw away the key.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 am

He is a pretty coach in my opinion.

He's ok....I don't think I'd make out with him or anything, but he's definitely better looking than Bobby. :wink:

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:54 am

wbtfg wrote:
He is a pretty coach in my opinion.

He's ok....I don't think I'd make out with him or anything, but he's definitely better looking than Bobby. :wink:
Actually brought tears to my eyes! :lol: :lol:

Damn you wb.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.