Hey who knocked off our users!!!!!

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Hey who knocked off our users!!!!!

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:09 am

I just noticed that our number of "register users" here at Bobcatnation is around 1010 people! A couple days ago that number was around 1250 !!!!

What happened dudes! Was this another home land security issue. Are these guy's in Gitmo now! Where did these guy's go! My personal opinion is that it is a Griz plot!

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Hey who knocked off our users!!!!!

Post by kmax » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:32 am

mslacat wrote:I just noticed that our number of "register users" here at Bobcatnation is around 1010 people! A couple days ago that number was around 1250 !!!!

What happened dudes! Was this another home land security issue. Are these guy's in Gitmo now! Where did these guy's go! My personal opinion is that it is a Griz plot!
No griz plot, the home land security issue is more like it. Though I must commend you on the attention to detail as you must have posted this about 5 minutes after I implemented it.

This is just one of those steps to try and reduce the amount of spammer accounts and spam messages that we have to put up with around here. This particular action basically took all inactive accounts (yes we had around 250 inactive accounts) and hid them so they don't show up in our numbers and don't show up in the memberlistings. It also made it so that the memberlist and member profiles are not viewable to anyone who is not logged into the board. Alot of the spammers/spam bots just sign up an account and put a fake email in and put the website in the url field so it will show up in the memberlist and get "counted" by the search engines as a link. These changes essentially eliminate that tactic. Plus it also gives us mods an easy way to track down and remove inactive accounts.

There are some other changes I am putting in to try and cut down on the spamming, but the rest should be invisible to you users.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 pm

kmax wrote: No griz ..........

...........basically took all inactive accounts (yes we had around 250 inactive accounts) and hid them so they don't show up in our numbers and don't show up in the memberlistings. It also made it so that the memberlist and member profiles are not viewable to anyone who is not logged into the board. Alot of the spammers/spam bots just sign up an account and put a fake email in and put the website in the url field so it will show up in the memberlist and get "counted" by the search engines as a link. These changes essentially eliminate that tactic. Plus it also gives us mods an easy way to track down and remove inactive accounts.

There are some other changes I am putting in to try and cut down on the spamming, but the rest should be invisible to you users.
Sure I know exactly what you said...... I understand exactly what you did.... You got rid of...

See Madonna's @#%&*#@% - posts

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:15 pm

mslacat wrote:
kmax wrote: No griz ..........

...........basically took all inactive accounts (yes we had around 250 inactive accounts) and hid them so they don't show up in our numbers and don't show up in the memberlistings. It also made it so that the memberlist and member profiles are not viewable to anyone who is not logged into the board. Alot of the spammers/spam bots just sign up an account and put a fake email in and put the website in the url field so it will show up in the memberlist and get "counted" by the search engines as a link. These changes essentially eliminate that tactic. Plus it also gives us mods an easy way to track down and remove inactive accounts.

Sure I know exactly what you said...... I understand exactly what you did.... You got rid of...

See Madonna's @#%&*#@% - posts
Ummm, yeah, hopefully.

:tryingtofigureoutifthatisagoodthingorbadthing: ;)

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

pfan89
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by pfan89 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:44 pm

i got tricked by a better setup one this bug is a b#tch Ic an get it all the way out for the life of me!!!!! 3 different scanners all not able to kill it!!!