So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Can’t have any truth getting out about the disaster in Afghanistan, eh?

Five years of Trump-bashing was A-OK, though.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kmax
Site Admin

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:44 pm

I did. Not that I owe any type of explanation to you but I have tried numerous times to get people to relax on that board. No one would listen. This is a sports board, that forum was provided as a way for Cat fans to discuss, not a place to be another cess pool. I'm tired of having to get complaints about that board. I never liked having that board here to begin with, it was traditionally watched over by Brad but he just doesn't have the time anymore.

But the topper was the fact that I began getting warnings from the ad company and getting my ads blocked numerous times due to "Dangerous and derogatory content." I'm not putting up with the crap from that board when it starts interfering with the only thing paying for this board to be here in the first place.

You all have plenty of places on the internet to discuss anything else, this is a place for Bobcat fans and related content.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:00 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:44 pm
I did. Not that I owe any type of explanation to you but I have tried numerous times to get people to relax on that board. No one would listen. This is a sports board, that forum was provided as a way for Cat fans to discuss, not a place to be another cess pool. I'm tired of having to get complaints about that board. I never liked having that board here to begin with, it was traditionally watched over by Brad but he just doesn't have the time anymore.

But the topper was the fact that I began getting warnings from the ad company and getting my ads blocked numerous times due to "Dangerous and derogatory content." I'm not putting up with the crap from that board when it starts interfering with the only thing paying for this board to be here in the first place.

You all have plenty of places on the internet to discuss anything else, this is a place for Bobcat fans and related content.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, @kmax. Back to the football board and Go Bobcats!

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks for the explanation Kmax. It is unfortunate that we cant discuss topics that affect our lives, but I understand.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:29 pm

So that board is now gone. Ok, sounds fine. thanks for the explanation KMAX.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:13 pm
Thanks for the explanation Kmax. It is unfortunate that we cant discuss topics that affect our lives, but I understand.
Nobody is stopping you from discussing anything, this just isn't the place for those particular discussions. Just as the places for those discussion likely aren't the place to discuss Bobcat sports.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Well, what a surprise. The cancel culture threatens little ol’ Bobcatnation. Go woke or go broke.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:18 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:45 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:13 pm
Nobody is stopping you from discussing anything, this just isn't the place for those particular discussions. Just as the places for those discussion likely aren't the place to discuss Bobcat sports.
Oh please. This place was fine with discussing those things as long as it was Trump bashing.

You even had @grizgirl and @TomCat88 posting the N-word here repeatedly including just last week and you did nothing.

The Biden presidency is a compete disaster but he’s the one for who you likely voted, so now it’s too much.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 pm
Well, what a surprise. The cancel culture threatens little ol’ Bobcatnation. Go woke or go broke.
That’s my guess what happened. Criticize anything about Biden and Randy, Kevin, and Brad likely lose their platform provider. Censorship is real if you’re over the target. I’ll miss calling out all the lies, which then lead to personal attacks because the BN squad has no answers.

What a ride

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:42 pm

I had quit that forum during the election and have just stayed away. I was getting mad at individual posters that I felt were just being provocative. I have not missed it, I refused to keep up with it. As far as calling out what you see as a lie, you did not change one mind. People were not discussing they were taking sides. Glad it's gone.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:27 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:42 pm
I had quit that forum during the election and have just stayed away. I was getting mad at individual posters that I felt were just being provocative. I have not missed it, I refused to keep up with it. As far as calling out what you see as a lie, you did not change one mind. People were not discussing they were taking sides. Glad it's gone.
I peered into that forum every once in a while and found two groups of people. The ones that were delusional and thought they were presenting evidence against the other side in order to convince them the error of their allegiances and the ones that just liked shouting at / insulting their enemies. As usually happens, many of group 2 thought insults would convert the other side. None of the regulars there were ever going to budge an inch, and if anything, every time they posted, or even viewed a thread, they became more dug in.

I'm sure if people want to yell in the direction of others that share a link to the Bobcats they can find someplace else to do it.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

I just hope the moderators will put more focus on keeping the football forum about football. It's one thing to dip into politics when it directly impacts the Bobcats and another thing to derail a thread. It really isn't hard to tell the difference (vaccine requirements for football attendance vs. generic pro-/anti-vaccine talking points).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:11 pm

I don’t give a sh!t if you want to bitch and complain about cancel culture. Play the victim all you want, we were providing you a forum and it went sideways after repeated asks to change things. I didn’t even read any of the drivel spewed on that board regardless of the side of the aisle. The stuff on that board started to threaten the future of this board with the crap so it ended. Simple as that.

As for keeping the football (and other) boards free from this I will do my best. I just ask if thread start to go off the rails report it as I don’t have time to read every thread.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Probably for the best. Thanks @kmax

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Im glad its gone...I was tired of watching us eat our own!

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:09 pm
Im glad its gone...I was tired of watching us eat our own!
If there was an “upvote” button, I would use it for your post.

-Elias P. Harmon-

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:15 pm

I predict a sudden influx of posts to eGriz. BN is circling the bowl. Pandering to the left. Cancel culture in real terms. Wake up America, not woke up but wake up. This country will have a civil war, and damn soon.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:07 am

I think that the Discussing the Issues forum was fantastic and will not be easy to replace. The idea that there are all kinds of other places on the internet to take such conversations is becoming less true by the day. There was some fantastic conversations and some hurt feelings from all sides. I'm ok with people getting their feelings hurt, as a matter of fact, I consider that a sign of good healthy debate. These are interesting times in history and some of us want to get off the sidelines, even if it's just as a "keyboard warrior." What I saw was a vibrant and active series of conversations. Speech that doesn't enrage others doesn't need to be protected. Good lord, it's just words on your screen. Scroll past if you can't take some heated criticism, or better yet, object directly. I think the decision to terminate that forum was short sighted.

I have been a user that has gotten into bitter spats with other users and had my feelings hurt and enraged others. So be it. That's how the process plays itself out. If others are so lazy or disinterested that they choose not to participate it's a sad state to give those lethargic users the on/off switch for intense political conversations. Politics ain't bean bag.

More than one time in Bobcat Nation's glorious history it has been suggested that another moderator would be helpful and there would be a plethora of volunteers that would be willing to help. As far as I know, Kevin declined all such assistance, for whatever reasons. That's fine and I won't pretend that he doesn't own this sandbox and he can do whatever he wants with it. I don't know if he even tested anybody temporarily. He could have pulled the power from any moderator that he had promoted if it didn't meet his standards.

Go ahead and fire away at me if I'm misguided. I can take it. My skin has been thickened from my challenges and criticisms rather than any personal virtue.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:49 am

I'm guilty of a few over the top posts myself. As parents in my day used to say, "This is why we can't have nice stuff around here"

I read Egriz occasionally. That board has gone so far downhill its not worth reading. Every sports thread gets hijacked and turns to crap.

Please, everyone, let's keep football about football, basketball about basketball, etc. The sports forums have done amazingly well in a year with little sport.

Finally, I will try not to take any animosity from the defunct DTI to other forums on BN. Please everyone, try to do the same.

God, I can't wait for next Friday, in the car, driving to Fort Collins to see my daughter and new son-in-law and going to Laramie to watch our beloved Bobcats.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:18 am

Interesting posts above and great feedback. I am sure this site takes a lot of time to administer and I can appreciate KMAX’s decision. The issues forum seemed pretty popular, but it did regularly cross the line of being civil to each other. I have engaged in some of that behavior, but human nature is to punch back when someone punches you. The section could have definitely benefitted from an active moderator to put people in the penalty box, regardless of who is right or wrong. Maybe the “issues” section is better gone without having an active neutral moderator.

Despite the negative side of “issues”, I have learned a lot from the discussions. It has been interesting to hear a wide range of opinions and thoughts. Seemed like a cross section of our society in general.

I am wading into an issue with this statement, but it does seem to be a point of societal concern when we can’t have a conversation without (KMAX) being threatened by advertisers. It has me concerned about the future. Who is making decisions on what is acceptable and what is not? Is it our government working through Google, GoDaddy, etc? I am not pointing fingers at KMAX, but at the people telling KMAX to cease these discussions in the forum or suffer the consequences.