Update on partnership with Colter and premium content

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Alright, finally time for an update here as we have had some time to try an iron some things out. We kind of rushed the initial agreement and announcement a bit to ensure that we were able to get Colter's gameday content out to all of you by Saturday, so now it's time for a bit more detail.

I have been hard at work all weekend on gearing up the next generation of BobcatNation to handle all of Colter's new content and present it in a way that does it justice and makes it much nicer for everyone to read. First things first, the board will be going down late tonight to allow me to migrate all these changes over. If all goes well you should all wake up to a new and improved BobcatNation homepage tomorrow morning. Colter has also been hard at work on his end getting everything lined up to ensure that he can continue to give you the same first class Bobcat coverage you have come to expect, now here at BobcatNation.

We have also worked out our plan for the premium content. My next step after getting the new site up and running is equipping it to allow us to separate out the premium content from the free content that Colter will also be providing here. Things such as game previews and Basketball coverage will remain free while the abundance of extra content that Colter produces such as player profiles, opponent profiles, etc. will be considered premium content. With Colter's main focus being just on Bobcat Athletics now, he's hoping that this content will be even better than what he has done previously.

While we aren't quite ready to start taking payments yet, we have agreed upon the fee structure. To access the premium content there will be a monthly charge of $12. This will be split between BobcatNation to cover overhead and Colter to make sure he is getting paid for all of the work he is doing. In addition, out of each $12 monthly subscription that we sell we will, BobcatNation will be donating $2 to the BobcatClub. We have always maintained that we created this site to benefit Montana State Athletics and with this new endeavor we want to continue our focus on that mission. Also, as we are just trying to get into this and to try and ease the administration for this, the initial plan will be to sell the final two months of the Bobcat Football season for $24 as a package deal. I'm a bit swamped with trying to get this all up and running so for now we will go this route so that anyone that wishes to have access has it through the football season and we don't have any confusion. So bottom line, pricing is $12 per month but when we get ready to accept subscriptions you will need to sign up initially for 2 months for $24. I will put out an update as soon as we are ready to begin accepting subscriptions.

I want to thank all of you for the great feedback that we have received since announcing this partnership. While we were very excited about it, we really weren't sure what the response would be like. Please help us spread the word, we want this to be successful so we can keep this going, but it all depends on you the readers!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Update on partnership with Colter and premium content

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm in.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Me likey!

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:29 pm

CatBlitz wrote:I'm in.
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm

YUP :thumbup:

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Totally reasonable, and the $2 to the Bobcat Club is a great idea.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Ok I'm in

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Giddyup

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:20 pm

I like it and I am in. I really like the $2.00 going to the Bobcat Club. If we are going to keep Bobcat Athletics strong it takes money. Thank you for making that donation as part of your new endeavor. Can't wait to start reading Colter's stories.

falconcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by falconcat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Great idea, now I can cancel my chronicle subsc
iption. Appreciate your efforts !!!

ABQCat

Post by ABQCat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Suggestion: can you offer a lower price for people we want to pay for a year up front. Say $99 for a year and $10 to Bobcat Club? That might help you bank some coin in the startup phase since that's when many of your costs will be hitting you. :idea:

Either way I'm in.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 am

ABQ, we will definitely think about that. Initially we need to go with the first two months as the only option, but after that we will definitely think about what subscription options would be best. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, as you all may have seen the first step in the new site is up. Please see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28872#p409961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for further details.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Let er Buck
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Let er Buck » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 am

I like the plan...we respectfully request that you get the premium content up and running to fully capture the Cats run to the National Championship...

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Sounds great. Is Colter going to be working on basketball also?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 pm

DicTater wrote:basketball
Whats that?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm

#-o

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm

DicTater wrote:Sounds great. Is Colter going to be working on basketball also?
I will cover all Montana State sports. I will have a weekend preview about volleyball, a regional meet preview about cross country, and season previews for both men's and women's hoops later this week. All non-football content will remain free until the end of football season. Once football is over, we will shift those sports into the paid part of the website.

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I will go and say it $12 seems a bit steep but then again I haven't seen the whole project.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I hate dark pink

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm

MSUcantouchus wrote:I will go and say it $12 seems a bit steep but then again I haven't seen the whole project.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
That's great, we need honest feedback. We have really worked through what we thought it was going to take to make this work, but that by no means says we have the perfect solution. Honestly I'd he very surprised if we get it all right. We are doing this for all of BobcatNation, so we need your help and feedback to make it work. Thanks, and I hope we can prove the worth to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

webdav

Post by webdav » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 pm

wbtfg wrote:
DicTater wrote:basketball
Whats that?
We were good at it in the 1920s. It's the game with all the squeaking shoes.