I'm here to stay

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

I'm here to stay

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:02 am

Bobcat Nation,

So many things go into being a sports writer. Watching and dissecting sports as your career is no doubt an undeniable perk. But the reason I became a sports writer goes far beyond a recreational need to have my job be fun.

In Montana, sports are a fundamental part of life. A Bobcat football game is so much more than a sporting event. It's a culture gathering, a place where people come from far reaches to socialize, a thing we can share with one another. It helps boost the economy, it's a water cooler conversation, it brings people together, it tears people apart. It's like Rob Ash told me earlier this week — the Cat-Griz rivalry can have a profound influence on your everyday life as a fan. Each and ever day, depending on the result of that game, you will feel a sense of pride or resentment. It's ingrained in those of you who grew up in Montana.

FCS football, particularly Big Sky football in Big Sky country has a unique and profound allure to me. To watch kids come from rural communities like Augusta or Harlem or Plentywood and risk their psyche, health and reputation for a chance to play for the team they've always dreamed of, then to see those kids make it, that's something extraordinarily special. To hear the Siewing twins tell me that their small 200-person community used to be entirely Grizzly fans, then they come and make a name for themselves in Bozeman and it's a 100 percent Cat town? Where else is that a reality in this country?

On top of the mystical nature of Montana and the wonderful stories of triumph college football presents in this state, this program here at Montana State is unique all unto its own. Rob Ash is a tremendous teacher, mentor and class act. The players practice what they preach and they truly love each other.

Last season, when I picked Montana State to lose at Eastern Washington for all Chronicle readers and Bobcat fans to read only to see MSU win, I told myself "this team is the real deal filled with quality young men". I knew they had a chance to be special. And as I've become more acclimated to the program, I've learned that not only are they tremendous spokesman for this university and awe-inspiring athletes, but they are also mature young men with outstanding morale compasses and a desire to achieve something together.

When I was first fired at the Chronicle, the thing that dismayed me most was the fact that I have so many stories left to tell regarding this team and I thought they would all go to waste. I've had sit down talks with players who I have a great deal of respect for and to have the uncertainty of not being able to tell their stories, it made me sick. Everything in life has to do with teamwork. This team personifies that. My former situation was a key example of how individual drive has nothing to do with the success of a team if the leadership has gone awry.

So here we are, turning the page. Any and all specifics regarding this new endeavor here, just refer to Kevin's (kmax) mass post. It will fill you in.

I will leave you with this: I feel a sense of duty to communicate the stories I feel this community and this state needs to hear. I have so much respect for these athletes and coaches and all the aspects they contribute to the wonderful quality of life we have in Montana. To not have their stories told because of one knee-jerk reaction from a bunch of greedy corporate executives (see what I did there?) would have been a shame.

I'm excited to maintain our relationship. I'm excited to engage with you, argue with you, and take every punch you throw at me. I'm excited to be able to continue to be a part of something I feel has a chance to be tremendously special. But most of all, I'm excited for the opportunity to continue to do what I love in the comfort of the Gallatin Valley.

Cheers to a new adventure. I can't wait to see what's next.

Colter Nuanez

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

I'm here to stay

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:27 am

Best news I've read all week. So how can we pay you, because you've got to eat too.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: I'm here to stay

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Just ponied up the cash. Looking forward to another month and a half of Bobcat football coverage.

Keep up the good work.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

I'm here to stay

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

I've been thoroughly enjoying my subscription so far. It's a dream come true to have this much coverage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD