Looking for a little feedback on the Bracket Challenge

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Looking for a little feedback on the Bracket Challenge

Post by kmax » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Okay, I was hoping that I would get a bit of feedback on the signups for the bracket challenge, but so far haven't really heard much. Don't get me wrong, as I realize this is probably a good thing because if there were major problems I know I would have heard about it. But since all of the pages for the entries, standings, etc. were created new for this contest and this is the first contest we have had I would like to get some feedback so that we can try to improve for the future. While appreciated, I am not really fishing for pats on the back here, I really would enjoy hearing some constructive criticism from those that have entered the contest and will be viewing their standings throughout the tourney. The types of things I would be interested in hearing about:

1. Thoughts on the bracket submission page. Was it user-friendly and understandable? Were there any problems(other than the ones I had noted originally)? Anything that you can think could be improved to make it better and easier to use next year?

2. Thoughts on the standings page. Was the information clear enough and understandable? Was the method for viewing other user brackets understandable? Anything that could be improved in this area or in the area of viewing user brackets? (This probably isn't applicable until the tourney gets underway)

3. Thoughts on the contest in general. This was our first contest run on BobcatNation, but we are planning others. Were the rules understandable, fair and complete? Should we have done anything different in how we ran the contest?

4. Any other thoughts on the contest that I didn't address above would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much to everyone for participating in the contest and for taking the time to give any feedback. With your help, I hope we can continue to improve the quality of contests and offerings that we put up on BobcatNation.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

ZifCat52
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ZifCat52 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:38 pm

I really appreciate you guys putting together the Bracket Challenge, I like it just the way you have it, no entry fee to cause anyone any grief, the way the teams were selected was very easy to do, even if you needed to make changes prior to submittal, and I think the scoring system is fair and easy to understand.

Thanks for doing it!!

ZifCat52

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:57 pm

I think you've done a great job...the bracket submission was very straightforward; it doesn't get much easier than clicking on the name of the team you want to advance! The standings page looks great...one thing I've seen on other sites that I've liked is that after the tourney begins, the team each person picked to win the championship is listed on the main standings page along with their score, possible points remaining, etc. This makes it so we don't have to click on everyone's entry individually to know who each person picked. The rules look good, you made it very clear that the first entry you submit is final, one entry per person, etc.

Overall I'm very impressed, and would love to see more contests in the future.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:13 pm

MSU01 wrote:I think you've done a great job...the bracket submission was very straightforward; it doesn't get much easier than clicking on the name of the team you want to advance! The standings page looks great...one thing I've seen on other sites that I've liked is that after the tourney begins, the team each person picked to win the championship is listed on the main standings page along with their score, possible points remaining, etc. This makes it so we don't have to click on everyone's entry individually to know who each person picked. The rules look good, you made it very clear that the first entry you submit is final, one entry per person, etc.

Overall I'm very impressed, and would love to see more contests in the future.
MSU01, thanks for the feedback. I have updated the standings page to show a maximum possible score for each entry should they get all of their remaining possible picks correct. This way, you should be able to look at the standings and get a feel for whose brackets still have teams alive and whose have been busted. In looking at it through the first four games, I believe it is calculating this all correctly, but no guarantees on this.

Hope you like the change!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon