Forum suggestions

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Forum suggestions

Post by KittieKop » Tue May 05, 2009 2:11 pm

I know - you all just went through and renamed forums and moved posts around, but I have one MINOR suggestion, and pretty simple at that.

Could you rename the Volleyball, Track & Field, etc, etc and General News forum to something simpler? The problem is whenever you are in that forum, it wraps the screen to the right, which means you cannot use the "jump to another forum" drop down feature at the bottom of the page because the title is so long. Its just as easy to go back up and use the "pathway" link.

Something simple like "Other Bobcat Sports and General News"? I know its knitpicking, but I thought it would improve the use of the site!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

rtb

Re: Forum suggestions

Post by rtb » Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Can you just use a higher resolution or get a bigger monitor? I don't seem to have the wrapping issue on my computer. We intentionally didn't want to relegate all the others sports at MSU to an "Other Sports" board that is why it has the long name.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue May 05, 2009 4:59 pm

rtb wrote:Can you just use a higher resolution or get a bigger monitor? I don't seem to have the wrapping issue on my computer. We intentionally didn't want to relegate all the others sports at MSU to an "Other Sports" board that is why it has the long name.
OK, I fixed the display problem :oops: But the name is still long and cumbersome.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Just to reinforce what rtb said, we really resisted even breaking out the sports into separate boards for a long time because we didn't want to give the impression that we thought that any sports (and, by extension, any student-athletes at MSU) were more or less important than others. But due to the sheer volume of the boards, we did eventually break out football and basketball.

But like rtb mentions, we still want every sports called out and not merely lumped into an "other" category (as "other" is the universal code for "not important.")

It is a clunky title for the board, but given the parameters we are working with, it seems like the best (although admittedly not perfect) solution to our needs.

All that said, we are just explaining the rationale we used to make the preliminary decision. If we get a groundswell of feedback telling us that most people want to see it changed, we could well abandon our current philosophy and go with the majority. So thanks for your suggestions, and we will see how other users feel about the presentation in their comments.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Just curious (and a suggestion if this is possible) about an option to not allow new users to post links or imbed anything with their first post in the forums. This might cut down on the spam posting that has been going on.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:Just curious (and a suggestion if this is possible) about an option to not allow new users to post links or imbed anything with their first post in the forums. This might cut down on the spam posting that has been going on.
We actually had that on the old board before I upgraded, and I agree it did help alot. I am trying to get back into getting some things fixed up around here, I will look into it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon