Countdown to upcoming seasons

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Countdown to upcoming seasons

Post by WYCAT » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:51 am

I was visiting the CSU board (see link below) and was wondering if it would be possible to add something similar to what they have for upcoming sport seasons? Like now it would be neat to see we have 265 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes to kickoff at Oklahoma State. Just a thought.

http://ramnation.com/

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:04 pm

WYCAT, we did have a countdown this summer for the upcoming football season, however I am just not sure if I am ready to see a countdown that lists 265 days until we get to see Cat football again. It was hard enough watching it when we had close to 100 days. As we get nearer to the season, I am sure we will put it back up, probably after the BBall seasons are over and we get close to spring practices.
Last edited by kmax on Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:39 pm

Aw, put the countdown up, or at least put up the countdown to each basketball game during the week, everybody loves a countdown!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Fri May 13, 2005 1:27 pm

kmax wrote:WYCAT, we did have a countdown this summer for the upcoming football season, however I am just not sure if I am ready to see a countdown that lists 265 days until we get to see Cat football again. It was hard enough watching it when we had close to 100 days. As we get nearer to the season, I am sure we will put it back up, probably after the BBall seasons are over and we get close to spring practices.
How about now kmax? Please, please, please, ....................... [-o< [-o< [-o<

mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by mquast53000 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Then after that have a countdown to Cat/Griz! I love a good countdown! :D

FTG

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 pm

Ok maybe I don't want a countdown... My slow computer doesn't like trying to download it. Could you put it on the home page so that I don't have to look at it while I am in the forum?

Please............PLEASE!!!

FTG

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 pm

mquast53000 wrote:Ok maybe I don't want a countdown... My slow computer doesn't like trying to download it. Could you put it on the home page so that I don't have to look at it while I am in the forum?

Please............PLEASE!!!
Dude, it's time to get a Dell! Or at least upgrade your PC. :wink: Your killing me here man.

Okay, I modified to take out the tenths of a second timer here on the board. Let me know if that eases things up for you. There really isn't too much to the timer, so not sure why your PC isn't handling it but let me know if that doesn't help and I guess I will take it off. :cry:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:14 pm

It is my work computer. We are not really that interested in technology I guess… I had better not tell you whom my employer is or you would really feel let down… My computer is still going really slow, but I don’t want to ruin it for everyone. I was hoping that you could put it on the opening page so that I would only see it when I was clicking on forums… Your site your decision. I’ll be here daily no matter what…

FTG

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri May 13, 2005 3:37 pm

I'm going to test it out on my old laptop at home tonight and see if it has problems with it. If it does I will either take it off or try to fix it so that it doesn't cause problems.

Anybody else having problems with the countdown slowing their machine down?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 13, 2005 4:02 pm

That countdown is way cool. How long would I have to sit there and stare at it, chanting to myself "C'mon, hurry up!" before you guys would say that I have a problem? It's mesmerizing....

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri May 13, 2005 4:13 pm

Thanks BAC.

I am putting the tenths of a second back on here as well since it didn't help quast and I think it looks cool (and I'm the only one that really matters). 8)

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri May 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Okay quast, I put some "optimizations" into the countdown timer to hopefully make it easier on slower computers. Let me know if that is any better okay.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Fri May 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Really like the countdown, but it's sooooo long until the opener. Thank God we have some great golf courses to play and rivers to fish in Montana to pass the time.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 13, 2005 5:37 pm

It works on a 2.2 GHZ AMD with 1Gig PC2700 DDR and a Geforce6800GT if that helps at all. ;)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:22 am

It does work better now. Thanks!

FTG

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 16, 2005 9:08 am

KMax
By my calculations of the actual kick off and current time at the national atomic clock, I think your off by 1 minute 48 seconds. Could you fix that :twisted:

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon May 16, 2005 9:32 am

mslacat wrote:KMax
By my calculations of the actual kick off and current time at the national atomic clock, I think your off by 1 minute 48 seconds. Could you fix that :twisted:
Easy way to fix that msla.

1. Double click clock in the taskbar of your computer.
2. Adjust clock forward or back 1 minute 48 seconds as necessary.
3. Reload BobcatNation.com.

This also works great for those suffering depression from the very large number of days still showing on the countdown. Simply modify step #2 to be "Adjust date to be September 2 2005" and then go over to sportsjuice and load up the saved audio of the 2003 Cat-Griz matchup. :wink:

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon May 16, 2005 10:46 am

Is this based on a 1:00 kickoff? I haven't seen a time posted yet on either MSU's or OSU sites. I hope it ends up being a day game though - makes the travel plans a lot easier.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon May 16, 2005 10:51 am

WYCAT wrote:Is this based on a 1:00 kickoff? I haven't seen a time posted yet on either MSU's or OSU sites. I hope it ends up being a day game though - makes the travel plans a lot easier.
Yeah, the kickoff time has yet to be announced as far as I know. I went out and looked at OSU's schedule from last year and all early season home games were either 1 pm or 6 pm kickoffs(central time). Not wanting to wait any longer than I had to for the start of the season, I set the countdown for a 1 pm (central), 12 pm (mountain) start time. When they announce the official kickoff time I will adjust the countdown if necessary.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed May 18, 2005 1:13 pm

kmax,
the msu athletics site has a countdown clock up from now until the first home game (Stephen F Austin) on Sept 10 - the clock says there is 104 days left - which is different than the clock here.
It doesn't take much, but I'm confused :?
Which one is right?

http://www.msubobcats.com/

I must say, that I am glad to see both clocks.
Keep up the great work on the site.