So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: So … which moderator locked the Discussing the Issues forum?

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:15 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:25 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:26 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:41 pm
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSUcats/

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.
I generally agree, however, over the past couple years that forum really devolved into personal cheap shots, name calling, pissing contests, settling vendettas, etc. That B.S. completely engulfed the "engaging in discussion" crowd.

Obviously I enjoyed that forum, but I don't blame the mods for not wanting to babysit some of the childish antics that were going on in there. It's their website, they can do whatever they want.
No question that I have been on the receiving end and I am also guilty of retaliating. Heck, I have been called a racist even though I am a minority. But quite frankly, the cheap shots, name calling, etc, happens everyday in the football section. And besides, multiple users have offered to moderate a discussion section.
:lol: :roll: :lol:

I think the issue is that at the end there wasn't much "Discussing the Issues" going on. It was mostly just both sides yelling their talking points / propaganda back and forth. Yes, that would happen on any hosting site, but that doesn't mean in needs to happen here. I think a Facebook page or an alumni-based subreddit would be more appropriate. Just because some people get their feelings hurt in the football section from time to time and some people adopt a harsh internet personality isn't an excuse to bring back non-sports/MSU/Montana related politics to the forum. A different website is a more appropriate place to yell/debate the differences between "protests", "riots", "insurrections", etc.
Why do you think the bolded portion is funny?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:49 pm

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:15 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
There are a million places to talk politics, but only a handful to talk Bobcat sports.
Geezus…. If you don’t like a section or topic, you don’t have to click on it or participate in it.

One of the appealing reasons to discuss issues here is that we all had a similar education at MSU. Do you know of any other forum with primarily MSU graduates?

Admittedly it's generally students on there but you could always create an alumni subreddit, and even moderate it yourself.
If your definition of “generally” is 95%, that would be a viable option. I guess that I could discuss such important topics facing the world as the size of a dorm room, Bridger vs Big Sky, which dorm is the best, how to register for classes, etc….

I don’t get it. You are not forced to read a thread. If you don’t enjoy the content, don’t go there. BN members seem well educated, connected to our school and successful. Seems like a pretty good group to engage in discussion. There are passionate subjects that we can carried away with, but I would be interested to hear perspectives on Ukraine, inflation and the upcoming mid-terms. All of these are having a dramatic impact on Montanans.
I generally agree, however, over the past couple years that forum really devolved into personal cheap shots, name calling, pissing contests, settling vendettas, etc. That B.S. completely engulfed the "engaging in discussion" crowd.

Obviously I enjoyed that forum, but I don't blame the mods for not wanting to babysit some of the childish antics that were going on in there. It's their website, they can do whatever they want.
No question that I have been on the receiving end and I am also guilty of retaliating. Heck, I have been called a racist even though I am a minority. But quite frankly, the cheap shots, name calling, etc, happens everyday in the football section. And besides, multiple users have offered to moderate a discussion section.

I think the issue is that at the end there wasn't much "Discussing the Issues" going on. It was mostly just both sides yelling their talking points / propaganda back and forth. Yes, that would happen on any hosting site, but that doesn't mean in needs to happen here. I think a Facebook page or an alumni-based subreddit would be more appropriate. Just because some people get their feelings hurt in the football section from time to time and some people adopt a harsh internet personality isn't an excuse to bring back non-sports/MSU/Montana related politics to the forum. A different website is a more appropriate place to yell/debate the differences between "protests", "riots", "insurrections", etc.
Coloradocat showed great restraint and kindness by indicating that the bolded part is funny rather than pointing out how ignorant it is.
or did he? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Not saying that anyone here is racist but being a minority has never precluded or prevented anyone from being one, and never will.

Thank you Kmax for having eliminated the "Discussing the Issues" .

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:15 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Coloradocat showed great restraint and kindness by indicating that the bolded part is funny rather than pointing out how ignorant it is.
or did he? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Not saying that anyone here is racist but being a minority has never precluded or prevented anyone from being one, and never will.

Thank you Kmax for having eliminated the "Discussing the Issues" .
You are right. Being a minority does not preclude one from being a racist. The specific context of those incidents would be helpful, but we are going down a rabbit hole. But hey, thanks for providing your input even though you don’t think such a forum is worthwhile. :roll: :lol: :lol:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

You can't be a racist if you are a minority? If you think about that, the statement makes itself false.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:40 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

You can't be a racist if you are a minority? If you think about that, the statement makes itself false.
Here is the general context from the past.

I am a conservative Republican. As a result, I was automatically being labeled as a racist by a handful of posters. One actually says that I wouldn’t know what it feels like to be discriminated against. Wrong, as I am a minority and have experienced racism firsthand.

My initial statement above was vague and unfortunately can lead to some assumptions. Hopefully the additional context helps you understand the post. Too bad we don’t have an actual forum to discuss such opinions.

I am going to step out on a ledge here and make a general assumption. Hopefully I don’t get thrown into timeout for these comments, but f#%^ it. There is virtually nothing to celebrate with this current presidential administration. Are the vocal handful just not interested in discussing the national issues that have only grown worse under this administration?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:40 am
allcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I am a conservative Republican. As a result, I was automatically being labeled as a racist by a handful of posters. One actually says that I wouldn’t know what it feels like to be discriminated against. Wrong, as I am a minority and have experienced racism firsthand.

My initial statement above was vague and unfortunately can lead to some assumptions. Hopefully the additional context helps you understand the post. Too bad we don’t have an actual forum to discuss such opinions.

I am going to step out on a ledge here and make a general assumption. Hopefully I don’t get thrown into timeout for these comments, but f#%^ it. There is virtually nothing to celebrate with this current presidential administration. Are the vocal handful just not interested in discussing the national issues that have only grown worse under this administration?
Sorry, misunderstood the context.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:40 am
allcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Nothing under this administration, but hey, at least Musk purchasing Twitter might actually make a free speech platform, a free speech platform. So at least there's some good news in amongst a whole slew of craptastic news.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Twitter is a free speech platform?

It is a “look at me” platform.

Musk, free speech? Hahhhaha
Unless it’s not what he wants to hear. Pretty common these days.

You want another place to whine, that is all.

Exxon record profits.
Halliburton record profits.
Boeing builds planes that fly into the ground.
Town Pump and Exxon set the price of gas in MT, long known truth.

Oh yes, it was a good thing to sell all the refineries to a Canadian front company for the Chinese.

Have you ever seen the amount of water wasted just to make snow at Big Sky? And they still let it roll down hill every spring. Of course, they add chunks.

Yup, it’s ol’ joes fault. Not the greedy.

Not a fan, but that other guy lost fair and square.

We ARE in this TOGETHER.

SATAN MISSILES
RODS OF GOD

US Senators and Congressman reading from foreign governments propaganda talking points.

We got problems.

Chatting about them on a sports board won’t solve it.

People need to talk. Chat, in real life. Have a drink.

Chill.

And work to solve the real problems not made up fairy stories,

stories created just so Lumburg’s stock can go up a quarter point.

That is all.

Go CATS!!!

Got my tickets renewed. That is all.

Have a wonderful day!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon May 30, 2022 11:30 am

In reality there was what, maybe two dozen users at most who were super active in the discussing the issues thread? Seems to me whenever I went in there, it was the same 10-15 people yelling at each other.

My point is nothing is stopping you or anyone from creating a MSU alumni discussing the issues type board somewhere, a subreddit, a free message board hosting website, etc., and then maybe private messaging some key people here on BN you'd like to see join that community. Get 2-4 people to moderate it, an equal number from each side of the aisle. Have everyone start promoting in where acceptable and applicable.

No it won't get the overall traffic it would get if it was parked here but like I said most BN members did not really participate in it anyway. It had a lot of posts but some posters posted more on that board they did the sports board. You could grow it.

I admit it was the main place I talked politics, which wasn't that often, because of that same angle you mentioned - we are all Bobcat fans so that tie meant more than just arguing with some stranger on FB or Twitter. But it absolutely became toxic and I fully supported the decision to dissolve it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon May 30, 2022 7:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:30 am
In reality there was what, maybe two dozen users at most who were super active in the discussing the issues thread? Seems to me whenever I went in there, it was the same 10-15 people yelling at each other.

My point is nothing is stopping you or anyone from creating a MSU alumni discussing the issues type board somewhere, a subreddit, a free message board hosting website, etc., and then maybe private messaging some key people here on BN you'd like to see join that community. Get 2-4 people to moderate it, an equal number from each side of the aisle. Have everyone start promoting in where acceptable and applicable.

No it won't get the overall traffic it would get if it was parked here but like I said most BN members did not really participate in it anyway. It had a lot of posts but some posters posted more on that board they did the sports board. You could grow it.

I admit it was the main place I talked politics, which wasn't that often, because of that same angle you mentioned - we are all Bobcat fans so that tie meant more than just arguing with some stranger on FB or Twitter. But it absolutely became toxic and I fully supported the decision to dissolve it.
Do you support the motives behind it? Big Tech censorship of opinions and/or arguments that are contrary to their liberal ideals?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: