Adverts

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Ads

Post by utucats » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:03 am

We should start a fundraiser. How much cash does BN need to not have all these ads?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:42 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:44 am
The advertisements on this thing are getting more and more out of control.

I’ll pay a yearly subscription if you guys are going broke but can we get some of this smut off this site?
I know people will rib you and try to say those ads are targeted because it’s what you consume and search for, but that’s 100% bs. Every now and then I’ll see an ad for something I’ve looked at on Amazon, but 99% is stuff I’ve literally never searched for or consumed once.

It’d be nice to be told how much the monthly cost of running this site is so we know how much we need to chip in.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:30 pm

utucats wrote:

I’ll pay a yearly subscription if you guys are going broke but can we get some of this smut off this site?
Your ads are based on an algorithm of the cookies on your phone. I have car ads and financing ads because I am buying a car for my younger daughter for Christmas and have been researching it.

Which brings the question…

what are you looking at on your phone that would give you “smut” ads on BN? :shock:
Last edited by PapaG on Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:42 am
utucats wrote:

I know people will rib you and try to say those ads are targeted because it’s what you consume and search for, but that’s 100% bs. Every now and then I’ll see an ad for something I’ve looked at on Amazon, but 99% is stuff I’ve literally never searched for or consumed once.

It’d be nice to be told how much the monthly cost of running this site is so we know how much we need to chip in.
Nope. Ads on sites like this are targeted based on search histories and websites visited.

What a ride

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:35 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:32 pm
Cledus wrote:
utucats wrote:

Nope. Ads on sites like this are targeted based on search histories and websites visited.
Yup. I almost always see my own ads on here because I visit my website numerous times per day. And since I was just shopping for some shoes, I'm now seeing Underarmor and Hoka One ads.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:30 pm
utucats wrote:

Your ads are based on an algorithm of the cookies on your phone. I have car ads and financing ads because I am buying a car for my younger daughter for Christmas and have been researching it.

Which brings the question…

what are you looking at on your phone that would give you “smut” ads on BN? :shock:
The smut comment was tongue and cheek but it’s is getting annoying. I have an Ad asking me how I feel about candy and one for a television. Not sure what I have done to be seeing those specific ads but who cares. I just want to read about the Bobcats.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Adverts

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:16 pm

If we could at least restrict the ads to outside of posts that would be great.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:30 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cledus wrote:
utucats wrote:

Wrong. I’ve literally never searched for Fender guitars, I don’t use eBay. I’ve never looked for tuff sheds, cheap Chinese shoes, Japanese dating, etc.

I don’t know why you feel you have to inject yourself in every conversation as if you’re some authoritative source. Low self esteem, I guess. I hope things pick up for you.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:33 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:30 pm
PapaG wrote:
Cledus wrote:
utucats wrote:

Wrong. I’ve literally never searched for Fender guitars, I don’t use eBay. I’ve never looked for tuff sheds, cheap Chinese shoes, Japanese dating, etc.

I don’t know why you feel you have to inject yourself in every conversation as if you’re some authoritative source. Low self esteem, I guess. I hope things pick up for you.
I’m right on this one. It may not be every ad, but the platform uses an algorithm on what is in cookies, search, and apps used.

Also, there are currently 30 threads on the Bobcats board. I’ve commented in 7 of them, so your “every conversation” lie shows you to be a dishonest person.

Not sure why you’re dragging me and also lying. Must be your low “self-esteem.”

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:39 pm

I have tried to comment a couple times today but it goes to a "subject can't be found."

One thing I have noticed is I will scroll through a post. Scrolling through 5-6-7 comments then an empty page for a bit. Then the comments continues...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:06 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:39 pm
I have tried to comment a couple times today but it goes to a "subject can't be found."

One thing I have noticed is I will scroll through a post. Scrolling through 5-6-7 comments then an empty page for a bit. Then the comments continues...
That's what I'm getting now also.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:06 pm
RickRund wrote:

And now it is no longer happening???

msubobcats@outlook.com

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:49 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 pm
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I have been trying to adjust the settings based on the feedback here. Something was definitely off for a bit there but think it is cleared up now.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:06 am

I so appreciate this site and don't mind the ads or what the ads are for.

My recent issue is with the pop=up ad at the bottom of my screen that takes up 10-15 % of the screen. I have to click to down arrow on the pop-up to get rid of it but, when I change screens it pops back up.

Poop, my snipping tool can't paste on Bobcat Nation so you can see what I mean.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:01 am

kmax wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:49 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 pm
allcat wrote:
RickRund wrote:

I have been trying to adjust the settings based on the feedback here. Something was definitely off for a bit there but think it is cleared up now.
Thank you KMAX... GOOOOOO BOBCATS

msubobcats@outlook.com

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 am

bcatfan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 am
All I'm getting for ads is Kitchenaid mixers, appliances and my own website since that's what I've been looking at. Now I'm kinda disappointed not to have the "smut". ;)

But there definitely have been a lot more ads lately.
Yeah. For some reason I'm getting ads for planned parenthood and HIV drugs. And I'm Pro-life, monogamous and STD free... :shrug:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:56 am

vike_king wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:06 am
I so appreciate this site and don't mind the ads or what the ads are for.

My recent issue is with the pop=up ad at the bottom of my screen that takes up 10-15 % of the screen. I have to click to down arrow on the pop-up to get rid of it but, when I change screens it pops back up.

Poop, my snipping tool can't paste on Bobcat Nation so you can see what I mean.
This is the most annoying one for me as well. Though mine is at the top of the screen.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:25 am

I wonder if it would be possible to set up a Patreon for an ad-free experience? Not sure how that would work but just a thought. Give those who want to go that route an option but unchanged for those who don't.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm

@kmax I don't know if something got tweaked again, but the ads have been starting to pop up a lot worse this past week or two. It's really distracting. I second the idea that I would be open to a paid ad-free version, if you want to go that route.

GO CATS GO!!!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:00 pm

Any chance you can elaborate on what “starting to pop up a lot worse” means? I have not changed anything since mid December so I don’t really think anything has changed.

As for a paid version, I appreciate the offer but I don’t really have an interest in going down the slippery slope of making this a paid site personally.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon