Altitude - MSU reference

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Altitude - MSU reference

Post by John K » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:38 pm

So this is really random, but I was watching the Boston Bruins-Colorado Avalanche hockey game on the Altitude network today (I'm a lifelong Bruins fan), and one of the studio commentators made a reference to Montana State during the post-game show. It was just a real quick comment, and I was only half paying attention, so I didn't really know the context of their conversation, but my ears perked up when I heard "Montana State". I rewound it and listened again, but I still didn't really understand what his connection may have been to MSU. I don't know his name even. He sorta has a mullet though...haha. I think he said something like "my homies at Montana State", so maybe he went to MSU, or has some friends who went there? I don't ever watch the Avalanche games on Altitude, except when they play the Bruins.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Altitude - MSU reference

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:32 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:38 pm
So this is really random, but I was watching the Boston Bruins-Colorado Avalanche hockey game on the Altitude network today (I'm a lifelong Bruins fan), and one of the studio commentators made a reference to Montana State during the post-game show. It was just a real quick comment, and I was only half paying attention, so I didn't really know the context of their conversation, but my ears perked up when I heard "Montana State". I rewound it and listened again, but I still didn't really understand what his connection may have been to MSU. I don't know his name even. He sorta has a mullet though...haha. I think he said something like "my homies at Montana State", so maybe he went to MSU, or has some friends who went there? I don't ever watch the Avalanche games on Altitude, except when they play the Bruins.
Mark Moser.. he was at KFBK in Sac and called games for Sac St, both men's and women's. But that is his only tie to the CATS and that is not much of a tie...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:20 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:32 pm
John K wrote:
Mark Moser.. he was at KFBK in Sac and called games for Sac St, both men's and women's. But that is his only tie to the CATS and that is not much of a tie...
No, that isn't much of a tie....haha. So that really was a random thing to say. I don't know what may have caused him to segue into mentioning Montana State. I don't think there was anything in their conversation preceding that reference, that pertained to Montana or the Big Sky Conference or anything like that. It just seemed like it came completely out of the blue....haha.

On a side note, I know you are a fellow Rams fan, so I hope you've been enjoying their SB win as much as I have this past week. My favorite pro teams are the Braves, Bruins, Lakers and Rams, so I've had a pretty good run the last 3 years, starting with the Rams making the SB in 2019, and then winning it this year. The Bruins made the Stanley Cup finals in 2019, Lakers won the NBA title in 2020, Braves won the World Series in 2021, and best of all, was the Cats making it to the NC game. Not to mention that MSU's men's and women's BB teams are both sitting in 1st place in the BSC (well, the women are technically in 2nd, half a game behind ISU, but tied in the loss column).

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:54 pm

RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:
If he has a mullet, you sure it wasn't Mark Rycroft? If the guy had brown hair, it was Rycroft. Silver gray hair and glasses, it's Moser. I'm a die hard Av's fan, so I see these guys every week, the altitude crew is very good. Really hope Peter McNab can beat cancer, he looks so frail now. NHL is the only pro sport I follow much anymore. Very few prima donna's, unlike in the other leagues.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:18 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:54 pm
RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:
If he has a mullet, you sure it wasn't Mark Rycroft? If the guy had brown hair, it was Rycroft. Silver gray hair and glasses, it's Moser. I'm a die hard Av's fan, so I see these guys every week, the altitude crew is very good. Really hope Peter McNab can beat cancer, he looks so frail now. NHL is the only pro sport I follow much anymore. Very few prima donna's, unlike in the other leagues.
Yes, the one who made the MSU reference was definitely the one with the mullet. I didn't even know that former Bruin Peter McNab had cancer. Actually, I didn't even know that he was a commentator for the Avalanche. I'm sorry to hear that...best wishes and good luck to him for a full recovery. Did you see the game today? They did a brief but very cool feature on another former Bruin, Willie O'Ree.

One more comment about the Super Bowl...how cool is it, that a guy who played in the Big Sky Conference is pretty much the biggest star in the NFL right now? It's a bonus that he happens to play for my favorite team.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:29 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:18 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:54 pm
RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:
Yes, the one who made the MSU reference was definitely the one with the mullet. I didn't even know that former Bruin Peter McNab had cancer. Actually, I didn't even know that he was a commentator for the Avalanche. I'm sorry to hear that...best wishes and good luck to him for a full recovery. Did you see the game today? They did a brief but very cool feature on another former Bruin, Willie O'Ree.

One more comment about the Super Bowl...how cool is it, that a guy who played in the Big Sky Conference is pretty much the biggest star in the NFL right now? It's a bonus that he happens to play for my favorite team.
Watched a few minutes of the replay this evening right after the bruins scored to make it 2-0. once the Avs got down 4-1, I checked my phone for the final score. Needless to say, I turned it off at that point. :roll: Just one of those nights...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:36 am

Might have been a reference to MSU hockey just winning the MWCHL tournament?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:39 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:36 am
Might have been a reference to MSU hockey just winning the MWCHL tournament?
I don't believe either one of them said anything about that tournament before or after the MSU reference, but maybe. Like I said, I was only half paying attention, until I heard them say "Montana State". I rewound it a little though and replayed it and they were talking about fraternities immediately prior to the MSU reference, and mentioned the names of a few of them, including Sigma Nu (not sure what led into that conversation), and then he said "my homies at Montana State" and then they moved onto something else. Maybe he knew some guys at MSU, who were in the same frat as him?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:34 am

John K wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:20 pm
RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:
No, that isn't much of a tie....haha. So that really was a random thing to say. I don't know what may have caused him to segue into mentioning Montana State. I don't think there was anything in their conversation preceding that reference, that pertained to Montana or the Big Sky Conference or anything like that. It just seemed like it came completely out of the blue....haha.

On a side note, I know you are a fellow Rams fan, so I hope you've been enjoying their SB win as much as I have this past week. My favorite pro teams are the Braves, Bruins, Lakers and Rams, so I've had a pretty good run the last 3 years, starting with the Rams making the SB in 2019, and then winning it this year. The Bruins made the Stanley Cup finals in 2019, Lakers won the NBA title in 2020, Braves won the World Series in 2021, and best of all, was the Cats making it to the NC game. Not to mention that MSU's men's and women's BB teams are both sitting in 1st place in the BSC (well, the women are technically in 2nd, half a game behind ISU, but tied in the loss column).
As I may have said before been a RAM fan since about 1953, Van Brocklin, Hirsch, Robustelli, Younger and on and on... I made a jersey and put #26 on it for "Jaguar" Jon Arnett... Stopped following the nba years ago but was a Laker fan in the old days, was a big fan of Wilt Chamberlin and Bill Russel. Quite the battles there. Loved the Lakers in the Chamberlin, West, etc era...
Like Hockey a bunch. Fun to watch on Root. Longest Fandom is the Yankees, probably 1951. Also love Rugby...

msubobcats@outlook.com

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:29 pm

RickRund wrote: Longest Fandom is the Yankees, probably 1951.
I didn’t start quite that long ago, but by 1957 I know we were listening to the World Series games over the lunch hour on the Packard-Bell radio in the kitchen and even in school for an inning or so. I loved listening to the Yankees in the afternoons during summer vacation while playing Strat-O-Matic baseball. It was all Yankees from the 1950s --> 1994. R.I.P. baseball as we knew it, before they would actually cancel the World Series.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:29 pm
RickRund wrote: Longest Fandom is the Yankees, probably 1951.
I didn’t start quite that long ago, but by 1957 I know we were listening to the World Series games over the lunch hour on the Packard-Bell radio in the kitchen and even in school for an inning or so. I loved listening to the Yankees in the afternoons during summer vacation while playing Strat-O-Matic baseball. It was all Yankees from the 1950s --> 1994. R.I.P. baseball as we knew it, before they would actually cancel the World Series.
We had a Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio. Tons of knows and many bands... Those were the days...

We had a radio going in Newell Elementary school to hear Don Larson throw his perfect game... 1956

msubobcats@outlook.com