TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

My morning

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Went out to deliver papers this morning:

1 - flat tire.
2 - wind blowing about 40 mph.
3 - took different car.
4 - transient, assuming mentally ill, at one of the first stops tries to "help" me and is yelling really loud. I tell him I don't need help. He says "sorry" about ten times.
5 - about ten minutes later another transient, this one younger, asks if he can get in my vehicle. I'm like hell no. Fortuntely he didn't open the door because it would've created a vacuum and probably would've sucked about 150 newspaper into the ether.
6 - about 30 minutes later I pull up to a house and just as I start running up to it I see a powerline for a street light down in the curb. A tree had snapped and pulled it down. Called the cops who sent the firemen up there. Not sure just how much juice is in one of those, but was thinking of the sad Wayne Estes story a lot after that.
7 - in process of trying to fill tire with air. Doesn't seem to be working. Might be donut time. Yay!

Anyway, I hope your morning is going better than mine. Cheers!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: My morning

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

1 - flat tire.
3 - took different car.
4 - transient, assuming mentally ill, at one of the first stops tries to "help" me and is yelling really loud. I tell him I don't need help. He says "sorry" about ten times.
5 - about ten minutes later another transient, this one younger, asks if he can get in my vehicle. I'm like hell no. Fortuntely he didn't open the door because it would've created a vacuum and probably would've sucked about 150 newspaper into the ether.
6 - about 30 minutes later I pull up to a house and just as I start running up to it I see a powerline for a street light down in the curb. A tree had snapped and pulled it down. Called the cops who sent the firemen up there. Not sure just how much juice is in one of those, but was thinking of the sad Wayne Estes story a lot after that.
7 - in process of trying to fill tire with air. Doesn't seem to be working. Might be donut time. Yay!

You must deliver papers in a rough neighborhood! Hope your day gets better Tom.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Not gonna lie, my first thought was "there is still newspaper delivery?" :lol:

Day has to get better from there right Tom?

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:29 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:32 pm
Not gonna lie, my first thought was "there is still newspaper delivery?" :lol:

Day has to get better from there right Tom?
Haha, yeah, just barely still delivering papers. Helena has gone from 17,000 subscribers to 5,000. Billings 50,000, now 11,000. We print the Missoulian, Tribune, Standard, IR and Ravalli Republic in Helena. So it'll all come to an end someday. The only people subscribing are mostly 55 and over.

Anyway, things didn't exactly get better. Flat tire wouldn't hold any air off my lighter pump. Then my wrench wouldn't go over one of my lug nuts. I loosened the first five, then the last one wouldn't go. Tried two other wrenches, nothing. Got out the socket set, biggest socket was too small. Finally took a hammer and pounded the wrench on and got it off and got the donut on and to the shop. I'm sure to get a call telling me I need a new tire.

Also, the indicator was telling me the FRONT driver side was low on pressure on the way home from the game. I got out and checked it and it was full, so just figured it was barely low or malfunctioning. Got up today and it was the BACK driver side was flat.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13 am

Damn. It's catching. One of my rear tires is flat. Oh well, I'm gonna leave it till I return in April. Gotta get to Yuma by Saturday for a football game that I care too much about.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

1 - flat tire.
3 - took different car.

You must deliver papers in a rough neighborhood! Hope your day gets better Tom.
Everything was back to normal today. It's actually my daughter's paper route, but I go out with her every day. She messed up her ankle/foot, so I've been flying solo the past few days and thankfully she wasn't there yesterday.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:13 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13 am
Damn. It's catching. One of my rear tires is flat. Oh well, I'm gonna leave it till I return in April. Gotta get to Yuma by Saturday for a football game that I care too much about.
I share your priorities. :)

toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:59 am

allcat wrote:
What? There’s never been a football game in Yuma that any Bobcat fan has cared about. You need a better map or something. :lol: :lol: Hope you made it and are all set to watch the game today.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:05 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:59 am
allcat wrote:
What? There’s never been a football game in Yuma that any Bobcat fan has cared about. You need a better map or something. :lol: :lol: Hope you made it and are all set to watch the game today.
You gotta be somewhere to watch the game. 80 degrees. It's at a place called Brewer's. I left the car with a flat and got to Wellton, AZ yesterday. 20 miles to Yuma. Wearing all of our gear and actually hoping there are grizzards that come to the game.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:18 am

allcat wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:05 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:59 am
allcat wrote:
You gotta be somewhere to watch the game. 80 degrees. It's at a place called Brewer's. I left the car with a flat and got to Wellton, AZ yesterday. 20 miles to Yuma. Wearing all of our gear and actually hoping there are grizzards that come to the game.
80 degrees sounds nice, it’s 16 at my house but sounds like it’ll be near 40 at the game today which is pretty good and far better than some years.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!