Our Great Niece was accepted to MSU

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Our Great Niece was accepted to MSU

Post by RickRund » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:09 pm

Her Mom and Dad are big griz fans. griz fans in the sense that he has a hat and a couple of sweatshirts. They really have to be disappointed but we are very happy. Even Teresa's folks call themselves griz fans but are glad she is going to Bozeman.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Our Great Niece was accepted to MSU

Post by MSU01 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:14 pm

Great news! Just based on freshman class sizes there have to be a lot of "Griz families" around the state grudgingly sending their kids to Bozeman instead of Missoula, but also knowing deep down that it's the right move.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:14 pm
Great news! Just based on freshman class sizes there have to be a lot of "Griz families" around the state grudgingly sending their kids to Bozeman instead of Missoula, but also knowing deep down that it's the right move.
They are from Townsend. Not sure how it breaks down for fanbase. Whenever we visit them there I wear CAT gear and have never had rocks thrown at me...

Besides just the fact she picked the MSU we are just grateful she will get, IMUO :lol: opinion, a much better education and more choices of curriculum/majors...

msubobcats@outlook.com

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:39 pm

My daughter is a senior with a 4.0 gpa. She gets more mail from Gonzaga and NAU than she does from U of M. It is pretty amazing, but U of M’s student recruiting is still really broke. And MSU sends her a ton of stuff, probably more than any other school.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:39 pm
My daughter is a senior with a 4.0 gpa. She gets more mail from Gonzaga and NAU than she does from U of M. It is pretty amazing, but U of M’s student recruiting is still really broke. And MSU sends her a ton of stuff, probably more than any other school.
That’s awesome, where do you think she’ll end up going?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Congratulations to your daughter. That recruitment story is quite amazing to hear — just symptomatic I guess. After all of the newspaper articles and reporters applying to the two schools and writing about how MSU was very responsive and personal and how UM was not, you would think they’d have fixed that situation right off. But they are admitting more grad students and out-of-state students than in-state freshmen so maybe they don’t think it’s worth it. They fired a scapegoat or two and now the same old story. At some point the taxpayers are going to ask if they are getting a decent return on their investment, or is it sort of like a savings account?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:01 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
It is a complete guess at this point. She will probably be a business major so UM should have been a viable option, but she has pretty much ruled them out. I would love to see her go to MSU, but I think she will go out of state. She is interested in what life is like outside of Montana. Gonzaga has a beautiful campus, but Spokane is not that attractive. U of Nevada has an urban feel and it is in Reno which is similar to Spokane. Arizona State, Colorado State, Utah and NAU are probably the most likely candidates and all have put together stronger marketing efforts than UM.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:08 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Congratulations to your daughter. That recruitment story is quite amazing to hear — just symptomatic I guess. After all of the newspaper articles and reporters applying to the two schools and writing about how MSU was very responsive and personal and how UM was not, you would think they’d have fixed that situation right off. But they are admitting more grad students and out-of-state students than in-state freshmen so maybe they don’t think it’s worth it. They fired a scapegoat or two and now the same old story. At some point the taxpayers are going to ask if they are getting a decent return on their investment, or is it sort of like a savings account?
It really is crazy. Virtually no outreach by the school. MSU has actually provided enrollment “gimmicks” to hook prospects. They are not really “gimmicks”, but smart ways to get prospects involved. For example, register now online and be considered for scholarships. That is probably not real unique, but MSU made it sound unique. In the meantime, UM sent a postcard…

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:01 am
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
It is a complete guess at this point. She will probably be a business major so UM should have been a viable option, but she has pretty much ruled them out. I would love to see her go to MSU, but I think she will go out of state. She is interested in what life is like outside of Montana. Gonzaga has a beautiful campus, but Spokane is not that attractive. U of Nevada has an urban feel and it is in Reno which is similar to Spokane. Arizona State, Colorado State, Utah and NAU are probably the most likely candidates and all have put together stronger marketing efforts than UM.
It sounds like she will have lots of good options, and some nice scholarship offers. I think MSU's business program has surpassed UM's by a wide margin, which hasn't historically been the case. But I'm obviously biased.

If she's looking at small startup/entrepreneur type business, I love MSU for that. If she's looking at more of a corporate America type of thing, I'd look toward campuses in urban, business hub locations, as there are lots of undergrad internship and summer job options that just don't exist in Montana. Hopefully you're able to visit a ton of campuses, as there are a lot of good schools out there. Such an exciting time....have fun with it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:48 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
It sounds like she will have lots of good options, and some nice scholarship offers. I think MSU's business program has surpassed UM's by a wide margin, which hasn't historically been the case. But I'm obviously biased.

If she's looking at small startup/entrepreneur type business, I love MSU for that. If she's looking at more of a corporate America type of thing, I'd look toward campuses in urban, business hub locations, as there are lots of undergrad internship and summer job options that just don't exist in Montana. Hopefully you're able to visit a ton of campuses, as there are a lot of good schools out there. Such an exciting time....have fun with it.
Thank you for the insight! It is a great rationale that I didn’t give much consideration. Much appreciated!

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:08 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
It really is crazy. Virtually no outreach by the school. MSU has actually provided enrollment “gimmicks” to hook prospects. They are not really “gimmicks”, but smart ways to get prospects involved. For example, register now online and be considered for scholarships. That is probably not real unique, but MSU made it sound unique. In the meantime, UM sent a postcard…
The “gimmick” is a $500 scholarship or at least it was when our son was looking at colleges. He chose UM for its strong pre-med/biological science programs.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:10 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The “gimmick” is a $500 scholarship or at least it was when our son was looking at colleges. He chose UM for its strong pre-med/biological science programs.
I don't mean to be insulting - I really don't - but since when did UM develop a strong pre-med/science curriculum? That has always been a strong point at MSU & Carroll, but not exactly something a liberal arts school like UM is known for. MSU has one of the highest rates of acceptance to medical school for applicants anywhere in the region, even higher than Carroll last I saw.

That said, I truly believe you get out of your education, especially undergrad, what you put into it. There are plenty of opportunities to get beyond the normal educational opportunities almost anywhere, if you are willing to work and look and ask. Hope he's enjoying it!

GO CATS GO!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:48 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Thank you for the insight! It is a great rationale that I didn’t give much consideration. Much appreciated!
Check into MSU’s international business/finance offerings directly. Our friend’s daughter, also an excellent student, interned in Japan with a Japan-based international business. I think she went back there a second time, as well as another country that escapes me right now. She gained a good grasp of the Japanese language, and with that and her international experience she could write her ticket out of college. She’s now in international finance, living in Chicago. MSU offers four or more different concentrations depending on a student’s interests. It’s a highly-rated school and has that nice, not very old building.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:49 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:10 pm
GRIZFNZ wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I don't mean to be insulting - I really don't - but since when did UM develop a strong pre-med/science curriculum? That has always been a strong point at MSU & Carroll, but not exactly something a liberal arts school like UM is known for. MSU has one of the highest rates of acceptance to medical school for applicants anywhere in the region, even higher than Carroll last I saw.

That said, I truly believe you get out of your education, especially undergrad, what you put into it. There are plenty of opportunities to get beyond the normal educational opportunities almost anywhere, if you are willing to work and look and ask. Hope he's enjoying it!
Last edited by GRIZFNZ on Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

It sounds like your son has done very well and is very talented. Who is to say that he wouldn’t have done even better at MSU? Or Carroll? It is easy to say um has an outstanding program with world class educators when he has done so well. However, your son himself could be the main reason that he is so successful and um had little to do with that. Certainly, his education at um was fine, but it is relatively clear from other evidence that MSU has a much stronger pre-med and science curricula for most people. There is a reason why MSU is surging and um is dropping in enrollment every year.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:17 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:49 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Your son sounds like a total badass. Kudos to him and to you. I have young kids, and I get super proud of them for seemingly small accomplishments. I can’t imagine how proud you must be. That’s awesome.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:18 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Strange response…. I haven’t seen that specific incentive but you have failed to grasp the point of the post. They provided an incentive to register, which is way more than what UM did. But we do have a nice 3x5 postcard from UM directing us to the website! I am not sure that we could have found the UM website without their postcard mailing campaign.

But the way, I have an MBA from UM. Just having an MBA has opened doors for me professionally. So I am actually an alumnus of UM as well and I am super disappointed with the where the school is today. Your response above sounds snarky, but in all seriousness, can’t UM do something a little more effective - like MSU offering scholarships. You seemed to be taking a jab at MSU, but their strategy seems a lot better than UM’s.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:54 am

Cataholic wrote:
My nephew gets information from MSU and he lives in the suburbs of Minneapolis!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:56 pm

“Cataholic” wrote: They provided an incentive to register, which is way more than what UM did. But we do have a nice 3x5 postcard from UM directing us to the website! I am not sure that we could have found the UM website without their postcard mailing campaign.
I’m still laughing after reading this. I can see your daughter filling in a form on the UM website, eagerly getting the mail, and finding a card directing her to their website. :lol: ](*,)

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:56 pm
“Cataholic” wrote: They provided an incentive to register, which is way more than what UM did. But we do have a nice 3x5 postcard from UM directing us to the website! I am not sure that we could have found the UM website without their postcard mailing campaign.
I’m still laughing after reading this. I can see your daughter filling in a form on the UM website, eagerly getting the mail, and finding a card directing her to their website. :lol: ](*,)
And going to the website getting ERROR 404 not found...

msubobcats@outlook.com