Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

More UM Drama

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:50 pm

UM law students: Dean, associate dean discouraged reports of sexual misconduct

Administrators dispute allegations as female students describe ‘boys’ club’

https://dailymontanan.com/2021/09/27/um ... -title-ix/

It’s interesting that the main alleged sexual aggressor named in this article is currently a candidate for Mayor of Missoula. Seriously can’t make this stuff up.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: More UM Drama

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 pm

I remember Jacob Elder from his football days at Capital High about ten years ago. Good player. I don't recall him on the Griz, but I see he was there for a year or maybe two.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 pm

Sorry, I just posted on the other thread. This is really disturbing. At the law school of all places! Unbelievable!

With the MSU takeover of the UM bookstore, maybe they should put the law school under MSU management as well.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:47 pm

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Learning of the news in class was “incredibly distracting” and many students became disengaged with the lecture, she said.

“I don’t want to keep criticizing (Kirgis and Weaver), it just was a really difficult time to get that news and no one really had any space to process it,” Holland said.

“I don’t want to judge him because I understand that he’s going through a lot, but at the same time it’s like this is one last showing that you don’t understand the needs of your students,” she continued.
Maybe don't check your email while you're in class??

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:08 pm

They ABSOLUTELY cannot keep the train on the tracks over there. It just continues to derail.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Note to self: When hiring a lawyer, check documents on the office wall. If any one of them mentions ummm or Missoula then run, don’t walk, to the nearest exit and don’t look back. I’m not in the mood to hire an undereducated attorney who has demonstrated an egotistical sense of self-correctness at a young age and who, to my detriment, will be checking emails during our court appearances and will be too upset to function for the remainder.

Note to self: When hiring an engineer, make sure they are an MSU graduate.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:49 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:27 pm
Note to self: When hiring a lawyer, check documents on the office wall. If any one of them mentions ummm or Missoula then run, don’t walk, to the nearest exit and don’t look back. I’m not in the mood to hire an undereducated attorney who has demonstrated an egotistical sense of self-correctness at a young age and who, to my detriment, will be checking emails during our court appearances and will be too upset to function for the remainder.

This is exactly what I was thinking! So you're so serious and concerned about your schooling that you're checking your email in class...... and then when you see THIS email, suddenly you're too distracted to pay attention to the lecture? Got it. #-o :-({|=

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:27 pm

While that school does produce some quality attorneys, my experience tells me that, for the most part, you’d be wise to do exactly what you suggest.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:02 am

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 968472001/

It appears that Title IX is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong again. The entire issue seems to stem from university employees not reacting appropriately to allegations of rape and sexual assault. Last time I checked, and I'm not a lawyer or even a law student, those things were illegal. We used to go to the police when someone committed a felony against us, not our teachers. Are the students also going to hold a rally outside the county prosecutor's office?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:48 am

Honestly…I don’t even know what to say about this.

I graduated from the law school about 20 years ago, but I’ve never practiced law in Montana and haven’t had much involvement with the school since I left, but it sounds like things are really going off the rails right now. I hope they can right the ship - the faculty does include a lot of quality professors, so I hope they can find the right leadership.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:48 am
Honestly…I don’t even know what to say about this.

I graduated from the law school about 20 years ago, but I’ve never practiced law in Montana and haven’t had much involvement with the school since I left, but it sounds like things are really going off the rails right now. I hope they can right the ship - the faculty does include a lot of quality professors, so I hope they can find the right leadership.
This has really got to tick off some of "you oldies" that went there when I am guessing they had a pretty good law school. Sounds as if it can only go back up...

msubobcats@outlook.com

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:08 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Learning of the news in class was “incredibly distracting” and many students became disengaged with the lecture, she said.

“I don’t want to keep criticizing (Kirgis and Weaver), it just was a really difficult time to get that news and no one really had any space to process it,” Holland said.

“I don’t want to judge him because I understand that he’s going through a lot, but at the same time it’s like this is one last showing that you don’t understand the needs of your students,” she continued.
And what the hell does "no one really had any space to process it,” mean. I don't understand this generation, literally.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:50 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm

And what the hell does "no one really had any space to process it,” mean. I don't understand this generation, literally.
Yes, pretty darned scary. Just suck it up buttercup, put on your big boy panties and deal with it. Everything will be fine

msubobcats@outlook.com

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:56 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:50 pm

This has really got to tick off some of "you oldies" that went there when I am guessing they had a pretty good law school. Sounds as if it can only go back up...
Well, I’m not sure I’m comfortable with the “oldie” label, but you’re basically right. It is hard to see an institution that I have a lot of respect for and that contributed as much to my development as the law school did have these kind of problems.

Fundamentally, I think it probably still is a pretty solid school - I still know a lot of the faculty; they’re good professors who care a lot about their students and their development. The school also takes a more practical approach to legal education than most law schools, which I think is a good thing. But they clearly have some problems right now, and those need to be addressed in the right way. Maybe I and other alums have a role to play there.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:39 am

Now drama in the Computer Science Department.

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/compu ... 41ce3.html

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 am

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am

The only thing I have on this is professors like Bill Ayers were lauded for differences. Now you are judged for being a correct thinker or not.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am
The only thing I have on this is professors like Bill Ayers were lauded for differences. Now you are judged for being a correct thinker or not.
So publicly writing about how you really would love to be able to marry a 13-year old girl is just "differences" of opinion now? Did you read the article at all?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:51 pm

ghobs95 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm
allcat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am
So publicly writing about how you really would love to be able to marry a 13-year old girl is just "differences" of opinion now? Did you read the article at all?
I debated what to post or not. Most of what the guy says seems idiotic to me. The only part I'm against is limiting what can be posted. The point for me is Ayers was ok, this guy is wrong. You and I can think he's wrong, but is he the limit that should be fired. Anybody that starts a post with so assumes the editing high ground. I have no idea what you limit or where, by setting the limit you empower the critic.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic