$101 Million Gift to MSU College of Nursing

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

$101 Million Gift to MSU College of Nursing

Post by coachouert » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm

More details coming, but this is a game changer for MSU and the state of Montana. Mark and Robyn Jones made the largest gift in the state of Montana history and the largest gift to a college of nursing. Whoa.

This gift -- the largest ever given to a college of nursing -- will:
• Provide funding for new facilities at each of the MSU College of Nursing's five campuses in Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell and Missoula equipped with modern classrooms and state-of-the-art simulation labs, where nursing students will hone their critical thinking and practice their skills.

• Establish five endowed faculty professorships -- the first in the history of the MSU College of Nursing. These endowed professorships will position MSU to attract top faculty talent during a nationwide nursing faculty shortage.

• Develop an endowed scholarship fund that will allow the MSU College of Nursing to keep the cost of nursing education affordable for all students.

• Create Montana's only certified nurse midwifery program preparing doctoral level nurses who will significantly increase the number of specialized maternal health care providers capable and willing to provide services to rural and remote communities in Montana.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: $101 Million Gift to MSU College of Nursing

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:20 pm

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm

coachouert wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm
More details coming, but this is a game changer for MSU and the state of Montana. Mark and Robyn Jones made the largest gift in the state of Montana history and the largest gift to a college of nursing. Whoa.

• Provide funding for new facilities at each of the MSU College of Nursing's five campuses in Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell and Missoula equipped with modern classrooms and state-of-the-art simulation labs, where nursing students will hone their critical thinking and practice their skills.

• Establish five endowed faculty professorships -- the first in the history of the MSU College of Nursing. These endowed professorships will position MSU to attract top faculty talent during a nationwide nursing faculty shortage.

• Develop an endowed scholarship fund that will allow the MSU College of Nursing to keep the cost of nursing education affordable for all students.

• Create Montana's only certified nurse midwifery program preparing doctoral level nurses who will significantly increase the number of specialized maternal health care providers capable and willing to provide services to rural and remote communities in Montana.
This deal is incredible. Who are these people, what is the connection to MSU? We are so fortunate to have Waded.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Yes, this is a better place for this thread. Amazing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:30 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm
coachouert wrote:

This deal is incredible. Who are these people, what is the connection to MSU? We are so fortunate to have Waded.
Seemingly no connection to MSU other than they ski at whitefish.

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Bingo...

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:31 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Bingo...
With the wealth gain of the top 1% over the past 2 years, it is nice to see some giving back to the community. This is an incredible gift, and it will strengthen MSU for years to come. =D^

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 am

Hopefully some of those nurses stay in Montana after graduation. Growing MSU is nice and all but it doesn't really help the rural communities if the graduates don't want to live in the middle of nowhere for low pay.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:59 am

I'm actually not sure if this grows the nursing college at all. Maybe a little bit? But their numbers are limited on how many they can place into upper division rotations.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:59 am
I'm actually not sure if this grows the nursing college at all. Maybe a little bit? But their numbers are limited on how many they can place into upper division rotations.
Please explain more. I have no idea how things work in college. What's an upper division rotation? Can MSU be an upper division rotation? I would think with an influx of funds like this it would enable MSU's nursing program to be more upper division-y. My understanding is that there is a high demand for nurse practitioners, not to mention physician assistants and RNs. Sounds like MSU is in the business of graduating NPs based on the statement below.
The MSU College of Nursing is committed to producing the needed workforce and now, with this gift, has the opportunity to more than double the number of family nurse practitioners and psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners graduating from MSU. These health practitioners are educated to address the key health challenges facing Montana, including an aging population, mental health and substance abuse.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:10 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 am
wbtfg wrote:
Please explain more. I have no idea how things work in college. What's an upper division rotation? Can MSU be an upper division rotation? I would think with an influx of funds like this it would enable MSU's nursing program to be more upper division-y. My understanding is that there is a high demand for nurse practitioners, not to mention physician assistants and RNs. Sounds like MSU is in the business of graduating NPs based on the statement below.
The MSU College of Nursing is committed to producing the needed workforce and now, with this gift, has the opportunity to more than double the number of family nurse practitioners and psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners graduating from MSU. These health practitioners are educated to address the key health challenges facing Montana, including an aging population, mental health and substance abuse.
Let me preface by saying I'm probably totally in over my head on this one, so take this with a grain of salt.

Basically the final 2 years of RN school are in hospital rotations. There is a gate to get into upper division nursing courses, and that gate is largely determined by how many hospital rotation slots MSU has access to. Bozeman hospital isn't big enough to handle all of MSU's upper division nursing students so students are sent to Missoula, Kalispell, Great Falls, Billings, etc to complete their upper division clinicals.

While this amazing donation will help create access a wider variety of specialty nursing programs, which is awesome and sorely needed, I don't think it will have a major impact on the number of RN's.

All of that said, I don't want to make it sound like this donation won't have a major impact on nursing in Montana and across the regions, because it absolutely will. What an amazing gift.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:10 am
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Let me preface by saying I'm probably totally in over my head on this one, so take this with a grain of salt.

Basically the final 2 years of RN school are in hospital rotations. There is a gate to get into upper division nursing courses, and that gate is largely determined by how many hospital rotation slots MSU has access to. Bozeman hospital isn't big enough to handle all of MSU's upper division nursing students so students are sent to Missoula, Kalispell, Great Falls, Billings, etc to complete their upper division clinicals.

While this amazing donation will help create access a wider variety of specialty nursing programs, which is awesome and sorely needed, I don't think it will have a major impact on the number of RN's.

All of that said, I don't want to make it sound like this donation won't have a major impact on nursing in Montana and across the regions, because it absolutely will. What an amazing gift.
This gift will absolutely increase the number of individuals that are able to go through the program and also will attract more individuals to the program given the facilities, faculty lines and scholarships that are being created. The five facilities that are to be built are an expansion of current facilities, not a replacement with the current facilities going offline. At the announcement yesterday, President Cruzado stated that this would allow almost double the number of nursing graduates from MSU as we move forward. A major theme that was stated in the presentation yesterday is that this is meant to curb the projected nursing shortage in Montana by 2030 and to do that is by increasing the number of nursing graduates.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am

coachouert wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

This gift will absolutely increase the number of individuals that are able to go through the program and also will attract more individuals to the program given the facilities, faculty lines and scholarships that are being created. The five facilities that are to be built are an expansion of current facilities, not a replacement with the current facilities going offline. At the announcement yesterday, President Cruzado stated that this would allow almost double the number of nursing graduates from MSU as we move forward. A major theme that was stated in the presentation yesterday is that this is meant to curb the projected nursing shortage in Montana by 2030 and to do that is by increasing the number of nursing graduates.
Very, very cool. Thanks fellas!

toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:45 am

coachouert wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I’ll defer to this guy. He knows way more about anything and everything than I do. He’s very smart, I am very dumb. He is very good-looking, and I am not a handsome man at all.

Thanks for chiming in, I knew I was in over my head. Haha.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:53 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:45 am
coachouert wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I’ll defer to this guy. He knows way more about anything and everything than I do. He’s very smart, I am very dumb. He is very good-looking, and I am not a handsome man at all.

Thanks for chiming in, I knew I was in over my head. Haha.
I am better looking than you, but don't sell yourself short. You are a handsome devil.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm

My mother was in the very first np class from MSU. The whole philosophy of what they were trying to achieve has changed radically since then. Back then they wanted to focus on getting advanced nurses in rural communities, you won't even get current np's to go to the rural areas. Even though this won't help rural areas, it is still an awesome thing.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:03 pm

coachouert wrote:

I think Cruzado is “earning her keep”!!! Great gift and exciting to see expansion of a critical need in Montana.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:17 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm
My mother was in the very first np class from MSU. The whole philosophy of what they were trying to achieve has changed radically since then. Back then they wanted to focus on getting advanced nurses in rural communities, you won't even get current np's to go to the rural areas. Even though this won't help rural areas, it is still an awesome thing.
I wouldn’t give up on rural area help yet. I observe the shortage of doctors and upgraded technical equipment Is greater than the nurse shortage in rural areas. And even if you don’t agree that observation, I have brought it up more than once as to how we can use technology and new real time communications to improve rural health care. Many rural sites have a small clinic with a nurse or perhaps a PA…..what if they could all be connected real time to a doctor or consulting group of doctors that would be live with the patient, the nurse, a doctor. Say the nurse or PA could handle half of the walk in cases by themselves…..but they could identify those that needed a higher level of care….and the live meeting with the doctor could result in prescriptions, further tests that could be done locally, follow up visits after local treatment, or recommendation for immediate transport to a hospital or doctor. Could it work? I don’t know but it could help leverage medical resources…. I think there is an opportunity to investigate that further. Maybe it will come with some of these dollars down the road after immediate needs are addressed.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:17 pm
allcat wrote:
I wouldn’t give up on rural area help yet. I observe the shortage of doctors and upgraded technical equipment Is greater than the nurse shortage in rural areas. And even if you don’t agree that observation, I have brought it up more than once as to how we can use technology and new real time communications to improve rural health care. Many rural sites have a small clinic with a nurse or perhaps a PA…..what if they could all be connected real time to a doctor or consulting group of doctors that would be live with the patient, the nurse, a doctor. Say the nurse or PA could handle half of the walk in cases by themselves…..but they could identify those that needed a higher level of care….and the live meeting with the doctor could result in prescriptions, further tests that could be done locally, follow up visits after local treatment, or recommendation for immediate transport to a hospital or doctor. Could it work? I don’t know but it could help leverage medical resources…. I think there is an opportunity to investigate that further. Maybe it will come with some of these dollars down the road after immediate needs are addressed.
You've pretty much described how they designed the first np program, only by making those nurses np's the could handle things like sutures and some prescriptions.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:37 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:17 pm
allcat wrote:
You've pretty much described how they designed the first np program, only by making those nurses np's the could handle things like sutures and some prescriptions.
Yep. Agree. A lot more they can do. And you could have follow up appointments live with a doctor if he wanted to see if a treatment was working on a person before need to visit a far off hospital. My wife is a retired MSU nurse. We lived in a developing nation with little to no easy access to western medical treatment. A lot of expats came to my wife for help if someone was ill just to get an opinion. Of course she couldn’t “practice” and we had no clinic or medicines she but she was often able to direct them if it was something serious……like you need to get out now to go seek help……or this looks like a flu or possibly a strep throat or…..or treat a wound that was infected…etc.