Re: $101 Million Gift to MSU College of Nursing

Post by coloradocat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:42 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:17 pm
allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm
My mother was in the very first np class from MSU. The whole philosophy of what they were trying to achieve has changed radically since then. Back then they wanted to focus on getting advanced nurses in rural communities, you won't even get current np's to go to the rural areas. Even though this won't help rural areas, it is still an awesome thing.
I wouldn’t give up on rural area help yet. I observe the shortage of doctors and upgraded technical equipment Is greater than the nurse shortage in rural areas. And even if you don’t agree that observation, I have brought it up more than once as to how we can use technology and new real time communications to improve rural health care. Many rural sites have a small clinic with a nurse or perhaps a PA…..what if they could all be connected real time to a doctor or consulting group of doctors that would be live with the patient, the nurse, a doctor. Say the nurse or PA could handle half of the walk in cases by themselves…..but they could identify those that needed a higher level of care….and the live meeting with the doctor could result in prescriptions, further tests that could be done locally, follow up visits after local treatment, or recommendation for immediate transport to a hospital or doctor. Could it work? I don’t know but it could help leverage medical resources…. I think there is an opportunity to investigate that further. Maybe it will come with some of these dollars down the road after immediate needs are addressed.
You've pretty much described how they designed the first np program, only by making those nurses np's the could handle things like sutures and some prescriptions.
This is why I think creating a non-profit that helps rural clinics/communities purchase equipment/technology and provides grants to entice nurses to move to these small towns would have done a lot more for the state than giving a bunch of money to MSU. Sure, it helps Cruzado build her brand, but if the additional graduates still go to work in the top 15 cities in MT or move out of state it doesn't really help much.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:06 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:42 pm
allcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
allcat wrote:
My mother was in the very first np class from MSU. The whole philosophy of what they were trying to achieve has changed radically since then. Back then they wanted to focus on getting advanced nurses in rural communities, you won't even get current np's to go to the rural areas. Even though this won't help rural areas, it is still an awesome thing.
I wouldn’t give up on rural area help yet. I observe the shortage of doctors and upgraded technical equipment Is greater than the nurse shortage in rural areas. And even if you don’t agree that observation, I have brought it up more than once as to how we can use technology and new real time communications to improve rural health care. Many rural sites have a small clinic with a nurse or perhaps a PA…..what if they could all be connected real time to a doctor or consulting group of doctors that would be live with the patient, the nurse, a doctor. Say the nurse or PA could handle half of the walk in cases by themselves…..but they could identify those that needed a higher level of care….and the live meeting with the doctor could result in prescriptions, further tests that could be done locally, follow up visits after local treatment, or recommendation for immediate transport to a hospital or doctor. Could it work? I don’t know but it could help leverage medical resources…. I think there is an opportunity to investigate that further. Maybe it will come with some of these dollars down the road after immediate needs are addressed.
You've pretty much described how they designed the first np program, only by making those nurses np's the could handle things like sutures and some prescriptions.
This is why I think creating a non-profit that helps rural clinics/communities purchase equipment/technology and provides grants to entice nurses to move to these small towns would have done a lot more for the state than giving a bunch of money to MSU. Sure, it helps Cruzado build her brand, but if the additional graduates still go to work in the top 15 cities in MT or move out of state it doesn't really help much.
Sorry you feel this was just “building a brand”. I disagree. The need for more nurses in the state and nation is well documented and a serious crisis. If this helps increase the availability of nurses to work anywhere it is a real benefit to Montana and healthcare in general. I’m open to saving city people and rural people. Remember, there are a lot of nurses who marry ranchers, farmers, teachers, other professionals that end up in rural areas and could and would work longer if systems and opportunities were in place. Don’t begrudge someone willing to address a serious shortfall/problem the way they feel best…go out and promote your idea and raise the funds to create the nonprofit you propose and work with the MSU program to attack from both sides.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:06 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:42 pm
allcat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
allcat wrote:
Sorry you feel this was just “building a brand”. I disagree. The need for more nurses in the state and nation is well documented and a serious crisis. If this helps increase the availability of nurses to work anywhere it is a real benefit to Montana and healthcare in general. I’m open to saving city people and rural people. Remember, there are a lot of nurses who marry ranchers, farmers, teachers, other professionals that end up in rural areas and could and would work longer if systems and opportunities were in place. Don’t begrudge someone willing to address a serious shortfall/problem the way they feel best…go out and promote your idea and raise the funds to create the nonprofit you propose and work with the MSU program to attack from both sides.
I definitely agree with everything you said. It will definitely help the larger issue. Hopefully it helps the specific rural issue as well since that is part of the stated purpose. My idea stated above is more difficult to set up and manage which is why it makes more sense to have a university handle it. I'm not trying to spend someone else's money so much as I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the plan. Either way, if the country gets more nurses as a result of the donation that's a great thing. =D^

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:03 pm
coachouert wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm
More details coming, but this is a game changer for MSU and the state of Montana. Mark and Robyn Jones made the largest gift in the state of Montana history and the largest gift to a college of nursing. Whoa.

This gift -- the largest ever given to a college of nursing -- will:
• Provide funding for new facilities at each of the MSU College of Nursing's five campuses in Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell and Missoula equipped with modern classrooms and state-of-the-art simulation labs, where nursing students will hone their critical thinking and practice their skills.

• Establish five endowed faculty professorships -- the first in the history of the MSU College of Nursing. These endowed professorships will position MSU to attract top faculty talent during a nationwide nursing faculty shortage.

• Develop an endowed scholarship fund that will allow the MSU College of Nursing to keep the cost of nursing education affordable for all students.

• Create Montana's only certified nurse midwifery program preparing doctoral level nurses who will significantly increase the number of specialized maternal health care providers capable and willing to provide services to rural and remote communities in Montana.
I think Cruzado is “earning her keep”!!! Great gift and exciting to see expansion of a critical need in Montana.
MONTANA STATE is so blessed to have Cruzado at the helm.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:04 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:03 pm
coachouert wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm
More details coming, but this is a game changer for MSU and the state of Montana. Mark and Robyn Jones made the largest gift in the state of Montana history and the largest gift to a college of nursing. Whoa.

This gift -- the largest ever given to a college of nursing -- will:
• Provide funding for new facilities at each of the MSU College of Nursing's five campuses in Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell and Missoula equipped with modern classrooms and state-of-the-art simulation labs, where nursing students will hone their critical thinking and practice their skills.

• Establish five endowed faculty professorships -- the first in the history of the MSU College of Nursing. These endowed professorships will position MSU to attract top faculty talent during a nationwide nursing faculty shortage.

• Develop an endowed scholarship fund that will allow the MSU College of Nursing to keep the cost of nursing education affordable for all students.

• Create Montana's only certified nurse midwifery program preparing doctoral level nurses who will significantly increase the number of specialized maternal health care providers capable and willing to provide services to rural and remote communities in Montana.
I think Cruzado is “earning her keep”!!! Great gift and exciting to see expansion of a critical need in Montana.
MONTANA STATE is so blessed to have Cruzado at the helm.
Here here.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:40 pm

How much $ has been donated to MSU since Cruzado been at the helm?

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell