A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Airplane wrecks

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:19 pm
Why do airplanes have oxygen mask systems, but not parachutes?

Why do boats have lifeboats and life jackets, but airplanes don’t have parachutes?

I’m sure there’s a logical answer, but it isn’t coming to me.
Am I the only person here who has flown enough to go through a cabin depressurization on a fixed wing plane? Had to admit I was getting light headed and all of a sudden masks deployed and we descended rapidly! It was a mechanical issue with a door seal. I suspect Payne Stewart crew would have liked to have an oxygen system that worked. Multiple real incidents where windows have been broken by flying debris or the Aloha airlines jet that lost a cargo door….real world examples of use of masks to survive. You lose consciousness fairly rapidly in low oxygen environments.

Edit: just looked it up and a couple articles say you lose consciousness in 15-30 sec with lack of oxygen. Brain death starts at 1 min according to one article…3 minutes in another. So obviously absolutely critical for functioning oxygen system.

I was in a controlled emergency descent in a helicopter….I don’t think I could have put on a chute and gotten out in time to deploy a chute (of course I was not at 30,000 ft either). And I have flown enough in helicopters in North Sea on crew transports and I don’t believe I could have exited with a chute in true emergency….maybe….but the offshore survival and underwater exit training was intense enough!!! So I don’t know how you would get a bunch of untrained people, handicapped, elderly, children, babies etc to put on a chute, while keeping their masks on, and jumping out of a plane in an uncontrolled descent in time to survive unless they sat with the chutes on! And if it was a controlled emergency descent, with pilots still having control of the aircraft I suspect survival rates would be higher staying with the plane then tossing out a bunch of untrained folks with chutes…..just an opinion…..

chester Spartanpot
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by chester Spartanpot » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:41 am

CelticCat wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:01 pm
Why do we park on driveways but drive on parkways?
Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together? :-k

Ye... intruders... beware!!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:31 am

Hey Chester. Nice win over um!!

chester Spartanpot
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by chester Spartanpot » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:31 am
was probably the best of the 21 msu - scum games Chester has attended, along with "whoa he has trouble with the snap!". hahahahaha \:D/

Ye... intruders... beware!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:53 pm

chester Spartanpot wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am
HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:31 am
was probably the best of the 21 msu - scum games Chester has attended, along with "whoa he has trouble with the snap!". hahahahaha \:D/
Was that the fumbled punt resulting in a scoop and score touchdown for Sparty right at the end of the game?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:17 pm

Not sure this fits in this thread, but if we are talking airplane wrecks I have a cool story. I was on this trail run one night in the Highwood mountains, must east of Great Falls. Some guys and and I were peak hopping training for some big races, and we were coming down a draw on one of the mountains, and there covered in the pines was the remains of a small plane. It was cool and also eerie seeing it in the middle of the night, and totally something we had unexpected to see.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:02 am

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:17 pm
Not sure this fits in this thread, but if we are talking airplane wrecks I have a cool story. I was on this trail run one night in the Highwood mountains, must east of Great Falls. Some guys and and I were peak hopping training for some big races, and we were coming down a draw on one of the mountains, and there covered in the pines was the remains of a small plane. It was cool and also eerie seeing it in the middle of the night, and totally something we had unexpected to see.
Yes, way out in the sticks and find a plane. Would be interesting to find out the story.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.