Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman Housing Crisis

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:32 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm
And they'll get it all week long. #-o
Good grief. What is going on in Bozeman for the influx?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 pm

I thought the rate might be high due to a concert or festival, so I went to Expedia to check other weekends. Amazingly, a newer hotel will run you $400 to $500 per night on any weekend.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am

Ouch, I wonder if this will keep up through the fall? If so, I'd imagine some of the season ticket holders from long distances away may be forced to let go of their tickets. Shoot, $500 a night is more than what I paid for my pair of season tickets. Ugh.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:27 am

Bozeman and Montana are not alone in housing shortages, although Bozeman may be the most extreme.

The housing market in Cody is also smoking. More demand then supply makes this a seller's market. I was chatting with a friend at a garage sale and casually mentioned that a home next to mine had become an Airbnb. From across the room a gal zoomed in with a card and let me know she would love to turn my place into a Airbnb, without even knowing where I lived. Long term rentals are incredibly scarce short term rentals are popping up everywhere. If I were to leave the house I am in I'd probably not sell it but keep it and turn it into a short term rental.

This from the Cody Enterprise https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/loc ... c389f.html
Local housing demand has skyrocketed in the past year, with hundreds of new residents flooding the market looking for homes.

In 2020, there were 7.5% more total home sales in Park County than the year prior, according to the county assessor’s office. The average sales price increased as well, rising 8.25% from $298,045 to $322,629.

“The prices are mind-boggling,” said Scott Richard, owner of Richard Realty.....

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:45 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am
Ouch, I wonder if this will keep up through the fall? If so, I'd imagine some of the season ticket holders from long distances away may be forced to let go of their tickets. Shoot, $500 a night is more than what I paid for my pair of season tickets. Ugh.
I was wondering this as well. I don't think so though. Think they're just taking advantage of summer tourism. I hope so.

My brother and sister are in town for a wedding and are in a regular hotel here in town for 8 days. One of the ones over by Costco though I don't know which one. It's $4000 for the 8 days. :shock:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 am

I’m at the cmon inn this weekend. Great place, especially with kiddos. The rate is very reasonable for alumni association members.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 am

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:27 am
Bozeman and Montana are not alone in housing shortages, although Bozeman may be the most extreme.

The housing market in Cody is also smoking. More demand then supply makes this a seller's market. I was chatting with a friend at a garage sale and casually mentioned that a home next to mine had become an Airbnb. From across the room a gal zoomed in with a card and let me know she would love to turn my place into a Airbnb, without even knowing where I lived. Long term rentals are incredibly scarce short term rentals are popping up everywhere. If I were to leave the house I am in I'd probably not sell it but keep it and turn it into a short term rental.

This from the Cody Enterprise https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/loc ... c389f.html
Local housing demand has skyrocketed in the past year, with hundreds of new residents flooding the market looking for homes.

In 2020, there were 7.5% more total home sales in Park County than the year prior, according to the county assessor’s office. The average sales price increased as well, rising 8.25% from $298,045 to $322,629.

“The prices are mind-boggling,” said Scott Richard, owner of Richard Realty.....
The Bozeman City Commission got worried about too many places turning into AirBnB/VRBO short term rentals and reducing the available long term rentals so they put a bunch of regulations in place with a goal of reducing short term rentals and increasing long term housing.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:10 am

Was traveling for work this week to the east coast and was able to get a direct flight from Bozeman to Chicago; then a direct flight from Newark/NYC back to Bozeman. Both flights were pretty near full.

In looking at the Bozeman flight board, there must be over 30 direct destinations with Bozeman (including Minneapolis, Seattle, Los Angeles, SLC, Denver, Phoenix, Houston). The airport was so busy, it felt like a terminal in SLC.

I am afraid that the days of small town feel Bozeman are gone. Growth has been crazy, but I expect it will get much worse. One business colleague was telling me that his nephew lives in the NY area but the school was all remote. The parents decided to send him to Montana so he could do in school learning. He couldn’t remember the town, but he said the 8th grader was able to play basketball with the high school team due to numbers so it must have been a Class C school. The kid loved it and the family is considering a move now permanently to get away from the New York craziness.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:32 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:10 am
Was traveling for work this week to the east coast and was able to get a direct flight from Bozeman to Chicago; then a direct flight from Newark/NYC back to Bozeman. Both flights were pretty near full.

In looking at the Bozeman flight board, there must be over 30 direct destinations with Bozeman (including Minneapolis, Seattle, Los Angeles, SLC, Denver, Phoenix, Houston). The airport was so busy, it felt like a terminal in SLC.

I am afraid that the days of small town feel Bozeman are gone. Growth has been crazy, but I expect it will get much worse. One business colleague was telling me that his nephew lives in the NY area but the school was all remote. The parents decided to send him to Montana so he could do in school learning. He couldn’t remember the town, but he said the 8th grader was able to play basketball with the high school team due to numbers so it must have been a Class C school. The kid loved it and the family is considering a move now permanently to get away from the New York craziness.
The airport advertises 30-20-10.
I think that means something to affect of 30 direct flights, 20 destinations, 10 different airline carriers….Or something like that anyway

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:47 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:32 am
Cataholic wrote:

The airport advertises 30-20-10.
I think that means something to affect of 30 direct flights, 20 destinations, 10 different airline carriers….Or something like that anyway
There is a map in the link below. Also recent news shows Alaska is adding a flight to San Diego and San Francisco during the winter. Crazy! I am really surprised by the northeast routes: NY LaGuardia, NY JFK, Newark NJ and Philadelphia. Just this afternoon there are 5 flights to these destinations.

https://bozemanairport.com/

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 pm

Cataholic wrote:

Yep, and for those moving west from the northeast area, they have to sacrifice very little for a huge gain in liveability. Losing the humidity alone should make both winters and summers feel so much nicer.

Unfortunately, the trickle-down effect won't be a net win for those of us with traditional family values. Might have to think seriously about South Dakota...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: