Bozeman Housing Crisis

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman Housing Crisis

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 am

There is a smaller home across the street, probably 1200 sq ft, a 3-2, maybe 7000-7500 sq ft lot, that had a home inspector drop by. He said it sold without going on the market. The people paid $70000 over asking price and cash sale.... He thought they bought it for $360000.

Nothing really special. No real upgrades.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 am
There is a smaller home across the street, probably 1200 sq ft, a 3-2, maybe 7000-7500 sq ft lot, that had a home inspector drop by. He said it sold without going on the market. The people paid $70000 over asking price and cash sale.... He thought they bought it for $360000.

Check this one out. Lot is just hair over 4000 square feet: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/514- ... 9353_zpid/

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:18 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 pm
RickRund wrote:

Check this one out. Lot is just hair over 4000 square feet: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/514- ... 9353_zpid/
Saw that. If that's the market, I'm putting my 3 Bed, 2 Bath house on the market for $2 million. Who wants it? :wink:

I love Bozeman and living here, but I also hate living here sometimes.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Look at how many "views" it has gotten. 12k+. Incredible.
My wife's cousin sold a 1 acre lot out in the Gooch Hill Rd area recently for $303k. No realtor.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 pm

RickRund wrote:

They got a deal. I sold my very plain simple home of 1,040 sq ft in Bozeman in one day in October 2019 for not much under $400/sq ft. It’s now over $450/sq ft and rising. Insane. But people are coming in from out of state that at least can get very solid financing.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Look at this shi*. Unreal.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/514- ... 9353_zpid/

<600 sq ft. and asking $500k...

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Woof

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 pm
CatBlitz wrote:

Woof
:lol:

Par for the course these days. Ignore the house. It's a dump. But the LAND it sit's on is in a great location close to downtown. Someone will give them 600k cash and level the house and either build for themselves or a nice rental that garners $3000 a month.

It's where we are now. :shrug:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 pm
CatBlitz wrote:

Woof
:lol:

Par for the course these days. Ignore the house. It's a dump. But the LAND it sit's on is in a great location close to downtown. Someone will give them 600k cash and level the house and either build for themselves or a nice rental that garners $3000 a month.

It's where we are now. :shrug:
I just hope they save the Lebowski poster before they level it.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am

We may put in an offer. It would give us a place to stay when we come to our yearly Gold Rush game :lol:

Man, that is crazy.

msubobcats@outlook.com

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 am

Did anyone read the letter from President Cruzado regarding the 40-some-odd MSU employees who are currently living in Family and Graduate Housing? Just hit my inbox this AM. Had no idea this was even a thing! There were 78 employees living in FGH as of September 2020, so almost half have found housing in that time. The others have until June 30th to find housing. Figured it was relevant to this discussion, if nothing else.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 am
Did anyone read the letter from President Cruzado regarding the 40-some-odd MSU employees who are currently living in Family and Graduate Housing? Just hit my inbox this AM. Had no idea this was even a thing! There were 78 employees living in FGH as of September 2020, so almost half have found housing in that time. The others have until June 30th to find housing. Figured it was relevant to this discussion, if nothing else.
I just read the letter. Family/Grad housing should be for students. If Waded wants to provide housing for employees then she should put them somewhere else. She's definitely a good lobbyist/fundraiser so maybe she should devote some effort to that cause.

For all the new housing that's gone up in the last 10 years ($115M per the email) I don't believe any of it is devoted to Family/Grad housing. If anyone is interested in time travel just step into one of those units. I lived there for a year 20 years ago and my parents said they looked the same as in the mid-70s. I doubt much has changed since. It would be nice if the next student housing project was Family/Grad. It's always been hard to get a spot and things aren't getting any easier for students financially.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am
grizzh8r wrote:
I just read the letter. Family/Grad housing should be for students. If Waded wants to provide housing for employees then she should put them somewhere else. She's definitely a good lobbyist/fundraiser so maybe she should devote some effort to that cause.

For all the new housing that's gone up in the last 10 years ($115M per the email) I don't believe any of it is devoted to Family/Grad housing. If anyone is interested in time travel just step into one of those units. I lived there for a year 20 years ago and my parents said they looked the same as in the mid-70s. I doubt much has changed since. It would be nice if the next student housing project was Family/Grad. It's always been hard to get a spot and things aren't getting any easier for students financially.
I wonder how many athletic dep coaches/employees are in this group.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:54 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 am
coloradocat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

I wonder how many athletic dep coaches/employees are in this group.
I hear there's space opening up in the fieldhouse. :wink:

But seriously, if the athletic department employees are in this group that seems like it would be the one staff department that would have the best luck fundraising for salary increases and/or housing assistance.

One of the tough things about being employed at MSU is that you generally take the same quality of life discount as everyone else in town so you end up underpaid in an overpriced housing market.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Former tenant of Nelson Story tower here (ca. 2006/2007), so yeah, I get how dated FGH is.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm
coloradocat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Former tenant of Nelson Story tower here (ca. 2006/2007), so yeah, I get how dated FGH is.
Peter Koch tower (2003/2004).

It was small but at least it was a quick walk to class and came with a free parking pass. I still remember moving out. I just barely squeezed my couch up through the stairwell when I moved in and knew there was no way it was going to make the trip back down the stairs at the end of the year. It was beat up from five years of college living (and not exactly new before that) so me and a friend kicked off the arm rests and managed to push it through the window. It broke into plenty of easily disposable pieces after a five story free-fall!

I just went to the website and they have virtual tours of the units. Exactly the same. :lol:

I sure wouldn't want to live there if I wasn't a student. Hopefully they can figure out something to make it 100% students and still find affordable housing for lower-end employees.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm
coloradocat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Peter Koch tower (2003/2004).

It was small but at least it was a quick walk to class and came with a free parking pass. I still remember moving out. I just barely squeezed my couch up through the stairwell when I moved in and knew there was no way it was going to make the trip back down the stairs at the end of the year. It was beat up from five years of college living (and not exactly new before that) so me and a friend kicked off the arm rests and managed to push it through the window. It broke into plenty of easily disposable pieces after a five story free-fall!

I just went to the website and they have virtual tours of the units. Exactly the same. :lol:

I sure wouldn't want to live there if I wasn't a student. Hopefully they can figure out something to make it 100% students and still find affordable housing for lower-end employees.
Yep, likely the only thing ever changed in those apartments would be the carpets... Great story about the couch, BTW. :lol: I just used the loveseat that came with the unit. Lived in Nelson Story over the summer of 2006. No AC made for some stuffy evenings in August...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun May 09, 2021 12:16 pm

Just went onto the Neighborhood app and checked the dashboard, "what is your home worth today"? It shows our home which we bought for $234000 first of Nov 2017 now "is worth" $504000. And the median home in Post Falls is $546000. Not sure if I should say amazing or ridiculous... Or both.

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Was watching a series on HGTV, Living Big Sky. The first episode was from August 2014. They ended up buying a home, outskirts on a few acres for $762,000. Asking was $767,000. Wondering what it would sell for today?

msubobcats@outlook.com

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm
Was watching a series on HGTV, Living Big Sky. The first episode was from August 2014. They ended up buying a home, outskirts on a few acres for $762,000. Asking was $767,000. Wondering what it would sell for today?
You are pretty safe with doubling the prices from 2014 here.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate