What is the Whitehall area like

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

What is the Whitehall area like

Post by RickRund » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Just sort of curious. I know it is right on 90 and close to the Wheat Montana turnoff, close to Townsend.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: What is the Whitehall area like

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:00 pm
Just sort of curious. I know it is right on 90 and close to the Wheat Montana turnoff, close to Townsend.
A bit more arid and a bit more wind than Bozeman, but it's ok. I have distant cousins who moved there from northern Idaho (St. Marie's area), they seem to like it ok. Why do you ask?

And way closer to Butte than Townsend. Maybe you're thinking of Three Forks?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 pm
RickRund wrote:
A bit more arid and a bit more wind than Bozeman, but it's ok. I have distant cousins who moved there from northern Idaho (St. Marie's area), they seem to like it ok. Why do you ask?

Thought it was closer to Townsend. But been a while since I have been on that stretch of road. Well the last time was to Gold Rush but it had been ages before that.

Patti was looking at areas in Montana with reasonably priced property. And her Sister is in Townsend. Acreage is pretty reasonable.

msubobcats@outlook.com

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 am
grizzh8r wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Thought it was closer to Townsend. But been a while since I have been on that stretch of road. Well the last time was to Gold Rush but it had been ages before that.

Patti was looking at areas in Montana with reasonably priced property. And her Sister is in Townsend. Acreage is pretty reasonable.
That stretch between Townsend and Helena along Canyon Ferry is developing nice and still fairly cheap. It would be far more ideal than anything near Whitehall in my personal opinion. And now that the highway is four lanes from Wheat Montana to Townsend, the drive is a breeze.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 am
RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 am
grizzh8r wrote:
RickRund wrote:

That stretch between Townsend and Helena along Canyon Ferry is developing nice and still fairly cheap. It would be far more ideal than anything near Whitehall in my personal opinion. And now that the highway is four lanes from Wheat Montana to Townsend, the drive is a breeze.
True.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:44 pm

RickRund wrote:
The Wheat Montana turnoff is by Three Forks. From Whitehall, you go over some hills then drop in to Three forks - alternatively you can go on the old highway along the Jefferson to Three Forks, past Lewis and Clark caverns. To the West, you go over the pass to Butte. The highway to the north goes to Boulder, and the Highway to the south goes up the Jefferson valley to Dillon.

Whitehall is in the Jefferson Valley. It's fairly open right around the town but not too far to the mountains. It seems like a nice little town but I haven't really spent much time there. I understand the mine is closing. I'm not sure what, if anything, will take it's place in the local economy.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure we would move that far away from our Grands/Great Grands but we are seeing tremendous growth here in Post Falls. Directly behind us, across the road is a half section of alfalfa. We look at it as a buffer but it is not long for this world. The owner sells his hay to Saudi Arabia from the rumor we hear. But this year the hay is still sitting there, all tarped up. Thinking this year may be the last. Property here is getting out of hands. 10 acres here for $125000 +-... Most of the close to affordable property is not really pretty country...

We have looked at Orofino. Nice inexpensive area. Then the Whitehall area popped up. I remember it as being a place I could like. Nice country and affordable. And close to BOBCAT country. Also looking at RV Lots in the Kalispell area.

Decisions, decisions!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Probably about 45 minutes to Bobcat Stadium from Whitehall.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 am

catbooster wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:44 pm
RickRund wrote:
The Wheat Montana turnoff is by Three Forks. From Whitehall, you go over some hills then drop in to Three forks - alternatively you can go on the old highway along the Jefferson to Three Forks, past Lewis and Clark caverns. To the West, you go over the pass to Butte. The highway to the north goes to Boulder, and the Highway to the south goes up the Jefferson valley to Dillon.

Whitehall is in the Jefferson Valley. It's fairly open right around the town but not too far to the mountains. It seems like a nice little town but I haven't really spent much time there. I understand the mine is closing. I'm not sure what, if anything, will take it's place in the local economy.
Golden Sunlight Mine is mostly in reclamation and has been for a number of years.

https://www.barrick.com/English/news/ne ... fault.aspx

Local economy is still very much Ag based, as is the norm for most places in MT.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 am

My sisters live in Townsend and they love it. 30 min to Helena, 45 to Boz. It probably has a bit more to offer than Whitehall in terms of the town but not much. Canyon Ferry/Missouri River is right there.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 am
My sisters live in Townsend and they love it. 30 min to Helena, 45 to Boz. It probably has a bit more to offer than Whitehall in terms of the town but not much. Canyon Ferry/Missouri River is right there.
Patti's sister, her Hubby, their Daughter and her family live in Townsend. Years ago we looked at property in Grassy Mountain. Loved it at Grassy Mountain but winters there are miserable. Patti's sis was at Grassy for along time and now they have a house just below the quarry/mill at Townsend...

msubobcats@outlook.com