Cable Cutters

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6584
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Cable Cutters

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm

We cut cable a while back and use an Amazon Firestick. There's so many streaming services out there that are just a little bit different-you end up gaining something really cool, but losing something else. I just found that I can get Root Sports on AT&T Now. I really missed Root Sports when we cut cable. But AT&T Now is $80.00 a month-so we'd have to drop some others.

The one thing I really miss is SWX-Montana which was cable channel 199 on Bozeman area cable. Is anyone getting that over the air with an antenna? I can't seem to get it here in Belgrade, but I haven't climbed on the roof or anything.

What say you cable cutters?



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10355
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by wbtfg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm

I do spectrum choice on roku. We get swx, networks, espns, turners, etc. I think we pay $25/month on top of internet service.

No root sports though



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by RickRund » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm
I do spectrum choice on roku. We get swx, networks, espns, turners, etc. I think we pay $25/month on top of internet service.

No root sports though
Are you talking about the package where you pick 10 channels and also receive the locals? That is the one we have. Lacking in some viewing but for the cost very reasonable. We also do Amazon Prime and use our kids Netflix.

Instead of renting the box from Spectrum we bought a roku for the Spectrum service.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10355
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm
I do spectrum choice on roku. We get swx, networks, espns, turners, etc. I think we pay $25/month on top of internet service.

No root sports though
Are you talking about the package where you pick 10 channels and also receive the locals? That is the one we have. Lacking in some viewing but for the cost very reasonable. We also do Amazon Prime and use our kids Netflix.

Instead of renting the box from Spectrum we bought a roku for the Spectrum service.
Yes....Overall I've been very impressed with it.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by RickRund » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm
RickRund wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 pm
I do spectrum choice on roku. We get swx, networks, espns, turners, etc. I think we pay $25/month on top of internet service.

No root sports though
Are you talking about the package where you pick 10 channels and also receive the locals? That is the one we have. Lacking in some viewing but for the cost very reasonable. We also do Amazon Prime and use our kids Netflix.

Instead of renting the box from Spectrum we bought a roku for the Spectrum service.
Yes....Overall I've been very impressed with it.
Our roku box (during streaming) will sometimes randomly repeat a short segment so all of a sudden there is a scene again, maybe 2-3 seconds. And our roku box will also shut itself down and restart. I guess I am just a cheapskate and don't want to give them $5 a month for a cable box. But we do like the service...



User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4597
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by Cledus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:12 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm
We cut cable a while back and use an Amazon Firestick. There's so many streaming services out there that are just a little bit different-you end up gaining something really cool, but losing something else. I just found that I can get Root Sports on AT&T Now. I really missed Root Sports when we cut cable. But AT&T Now is $80.00 a month-so we'd have to drop some others.

The one thing I really miss is SWX-Montana which was cable channel 199 on Bozeman area cable. Is anyone getting that over the air with an antenna? I can't seem to get it here in Belgrade, but I haven't climbed on the roof or anything.

What say you cable cutters?
I get SWX on their app and then cast it to my tv. For Root, I go to a bar or someone else’s house. It ain’t perfect but I guess that’s the trade off. There’s also ESPN, which has a streaming service for $5 per month for those occasions when we do get a game on ESPN.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6584
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:12 pm
I get SWX on their app and then cast it to my tv.
Awesome tip. Thank you!



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:38 pm
Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:12 pm
I get SWX on their app and then cast it to my tv.
Awesome tip. Thank you!
Works great, as long as you are in their “coverage area.”



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10216
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA
Contact:

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:34 am

I haven't found cable butting to be any more affordable than an internet/cable bundle from Comcast/Xfinity. I pay $50 for internet, so adding any of these $60-$80/month streaming TV packages gets you right back to that $120/month range that you'd be paying if you had a bundle. I guess the benefit would be no yearly call to Comcast to renegotiate your rate, but at the same time if your internet is down you are out of luck, whereas you'd likely still get cable if your internet went down.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Cable Cutters

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:34 am
I haven't found cable butting to be any more affordable than an internet/cable bundle from Comcast/Xfinity. I pay $50 for internet, so adding any of these $60-$80/month streaming TV packages gets you right back to that $120/month range that you'd be paying if you had a bundle. I guess the benefit would be no yearly call to Comcast to renegotiate your rate, but at the same time if your internet is down you are out of luck, whereas you'd likely still get cable if your internet went down.
I agree. I’ve tried a couple of the packages, including Hulu TV. It had almost all the channels I cared about, but it was really awkward to use. What I find is the biggest benefit of my cable subscription with TDS is that it opens up streaming access to the on-demand libraries of (most of) these channels. Then I can watch stuff at my own pace without recording it if I’m willing to wait a day or two before it shows up on streaming. The access to the past seasons and episodes is great because I never watched much while I was working. I use Prime Video as well, since it comes with Prime (shipping) anyway — which is excellent living in a smallish town with limited local options.



Post Reply