anybody do Ham radio?

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

anybody do Ham radio?

Post by allcat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm going to get my license and a cheap walkie talkie type of radio. I'm going to go to Alaska, depending on the border closings. Any recommends on radios?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: anybody do Ham radio?

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am

Years ago I remember seeing many more ham setups. A friend's dad in elementary school had a unit and I vaguely remember talking to a fellow from Cleveland in the mid 50s that was on his way to Municipal Park/Cleveland Stadium for a game with the YANKEES...
They don't seem to be as popular now. I wonder how much the regulations have changes? I do remember the outlaws that would use the big boosters so they could talk to Mars and beyond.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: anybody do Ham radio?

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:30 pm

We boonrock quite a bit with the motorhome. With these you can usually reach someone that can can get help coming. I've been in quite a few places with no cell phone coverage. Sometimes you have to get to the top of a hill to reach someone. I will probably end up upgrading at some time but I just bought a baofeng radio for $24. It's fairly basic, but has a lot of features also. You can also spend $500 on brand like kenwood.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic