Golden Bobcat

Re: Adventures Around Montana

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:58 am
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:29 pm
Have you been through Skalkaho Pass?
Thanks for the info CelticCat. Will have to add this to our list of places. Had never heard of it. Looks incredible.
I'd recommend going from Phillipsburg westward so you can hug the mountain. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:58 am
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:29 pm
Have you been through Skalkaho Pass?
Thanks for the info CelticCat. Will have to add this to our list of places. Had never heard of it. Looks incredible.
I'd recommend going from Phillipsburg westward so you can hug the mountain. :lol:
Haha, that's for sure!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Hey everyone, check out our hike up to Trapper in the Bitterroot via Baker Lake!

@CelticCat, This is the one where we take the trip over the Skalkaho.

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm
Hey everyone, check out our hike up to Trapper in the Bitterroot via Baker Lake!

Driscoll, when I lived in Belgrade, I sold a pickup camper to a young guy in Hamilton. He paid me an extra $500 to drive it over to him. My dad tagged along with me, and we decided it would be fun to go over Skalkaho Pass. I knew it was gravel, but how bad could it be? Needless to say, we drove back through Missoula and took the interstate.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

Bobcat80 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Driscoll, when I lived in Belgrade, I sold a pickup camper to a young guy in Hamilton. He paid me an extra $500 to drive it over to him. My dad tagged along with me, and we decided it would be fun to go over Skalkaho Pass. I knew it was gravel, but how bad could it be? Needless to say, we drove back through Missoula and took the interstate.
Haha, not a bad choice for the route back home!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Our second video on our trip up to Trapper Peak in the Bitterroot is up. We had some insane views up there! Check it out.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:26 pm

👍👍
Nice. Very interesting, because all of us who grew up in Bozeman or the area have had similar days — the worst of days, but the best days ever!

Your stereo sound is really amazing. How are you recording these?

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks a bunch @Bobcat4Ever! In the field we use a shotgun (directional) microphone going into the camera along with a lavalier (lapel) mic on Laura. At the house, we use an electrovoice EV20 mic going into a tascam recorder. Lots of work to put it all together, but it’s really nice not to miss anything.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 am

Thanks — I was really curious. I was watching Trapper Peak #2 on the big TV. I heard Laura off to the left and actually looked that way. Then the camera panned and there she was. Wow. No wonder these come out so well. Things always work better when someone knows what they are doing. Carry on.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 am
Thanks — I was really curious. I was watching Trapper Peak #2 on the big TV. I heard Laura off to the left and actually looked that way. Then the camera panned and there she was. Wow. No wonder these come out so well. Things always work better when someone knows what they are doing. Carry on.
To be honest, that might have been a happy accident. I actually intended Laura's mic to be the same in both the left and right channel, so I better look at what I have going on as I bring these audio channels into the full mix. That is really cool that it came out that way for that shot though.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback though. I really appreciate it.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am

Outside magazine lists the top hikes in each state. For Montana it has the Dawson-Pitamakan loop in Glacier.. Anyone familiar with that?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:46 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am
Outside magazine lists the top hikes in each state. For Montana it has the Dawson-Pitamakan loop in Glacier.. Anyone familiar with that?
We have not done that one yet, but it is on our list. It's supposed to be pretty long (17 or so miles) and Alltrails.com says it is only recommended for "experienced adventurers", so it might take some convincing to get Laura up there. It's hard to imagine that it is better than Grinnell Glacier hike, which is my favorite in the world, and also in the Many Glacier area of the park, but I'm willing to compare :)

BTW, we have a couple of videos on Glacier National Park and Grinnell Glacier hike specifically coming out in a couple of weeks.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am

Hey everybody, I just edited our trip to Glacier from last summer. Check it out!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Last summer we went on my favorite hike in the world, Grinnell Glacier in Glacier National Park. We took the time to get a bunch of video of it and we are super happy with how it turned out. Check it out!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun May 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Laura and I put together a YouTube guide for planning your trip to Glacier National Park. If anybody hasn't been to Glacier in awhile, I definitely recommend getting back up there as soon as you have a chance! It's so easy to take Glacier and Yellowstone for granted because they are in our back yard, but they are too great to put off.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm

St George wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 pm
Another favorite of mine is the Ross Creek Cedars, up by Bull Lake between Noxon and Libby. Along with the Hiawatha Trail near Lookout Pass on I90.

http://www.libbymt.com/areaattractions/ ... cedars.htm

http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/
If you ever do the Ross Creek Cedars you may also want to do the swinging bridge/Kootenai Falls and the Libby Dam. (You get to drive the Dam highway and park in the Dam parking lot. It even has a Dam gift shop. You'll have a Dam good time.)

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm
St George wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 pm
Another favorite of mine is the Ross Creek Cedars, up by Bull Lake between Noxon and Libby. Along with the Hiawatha Trail near Lookout Pass on I90.

http://www.libbymt.com/areaattractions/ ... cedars.htm

http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/
If you ever do the Ross Creek Cedars you may also want to do the swinging bridge/Kootenai Falls and the Libby Dam. (You get to drive the Dam highway and park in the Dam parking lot. It even has a Dam gift shop. You'll have a Dam good time.)
Haha, thanks for the tip @wapiti! We will do the dam thing if we get out that way :lol: (oh, and the other stuff too)

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Hey everyone, we have lots more adventures that I haven't taken the time to add here. We spent some time up in Banff, and down in South Padre Island. Obviously these are not technically "Adventures around Montana", but hopefully you guys will enjoy them.

For anyone who is mainly just interested in Montana stuff, jump straight to the Devil's Canyon overlook episode. We are really proud of that one.

Here are some more of them!

Banff, Lake Louise and Johnson Canyon

Banff, Peyto Lake and Columbia Icefield

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 am

Hey guys, I just figured out how to salvage a hard drive that went out on me earlier this year, so I was able to put together a video of our trip up to Holland Lake in the Seeley Valley! The Owl Creek Cabin is an awesome spot to stay for $30/night and if you haven't been to Holland Lake before, we highly recommend it.

Thanks for checking out our video. Hopefully it is something fun to watch during our fall without Bobcat Football.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 pm

If you are looking for a great inexpensive place to stay outside of Grand Teton National Park, consider Hoback Guard station (Forrest Service Cabin). The drive is a little longer, but at $30/night, you get lot's more amenities than most USFS cabins. Check out our trip!