R.I.P Johnny Orizotti

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

R.I.P Johnny Orizotti

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 am

Johnny Orizotti, founder of Butte's famous John's Pork Chop Sandwich has died at age 82.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: R.I.P Johnny Orizotti

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

That's too bad. I loved eating there when I was a kid. Back of the Hideaway was a fun spot.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Johnny Orizotti, founder of Butte's famous John's Pork Chop Sandwich has died at age 82.
John Burklund founded Pork Chop John's in 1924. His son-in-law Bernie Semmens owned it after that. John Orizotti bought it Mr. Semmens.

John Orizotti was a great guy. Nothing like stopping in for a chop on Mercury Street and chatting with Mr. Orizotti or his son Ed. RIP.

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Johnny Orizotti, founder of Butte's famous John's Pork Chop Sandwich has died at age 82.
John Burklund founded Pork Chop John's in 1924. His son-in-law Bernie Semmens owned it after that. John Orizotti bought it Mr. Semmens.

John Orizotti was a great guy. Nothing like stopping in for a chop on Mercury Street and chatting with Mr. Orizotti or his son Ed. RIP.

Sorry about the double post.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:51 pm

maroon wrote:

I stand corrected. The Butte paper would lead one to believe Johnny was the founder.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:55 pm

In the early 70s Tom LeProwse use to take the Bozeman high school football team there after games with Central. Couldn't beat a couple of chops and a chocolate malt for super!!!!

Great family. Rest in Peace. John Orizotti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobcatmaniac

Post by bobcatmaniac » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
maroon wrote:

I stand corrected. The Butte paper would lead one to believe Johnny was the founder.
Nope.
This is copied from the standard article: "A meat cutter by trade, Orizotti bought the famed Pork Chop John's restaurant in 1969, when the sandwiches sold for 65 cents, and increased sales dramatically over the years. Pork Chop John’s started in 1932, during the Great Depression, when John Burklund began selling the sandwiches for 20 cents — bone included — from a horse-drawn cart in Uptown Butte."

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:12 am

bobcatmaniac wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
maroon wrote:

Nope.
This is copied from the standard article: "A meat cutter by trade, Orizotti bought the famed Pork Chop John's restaurant in 1969, when the sandwiches sold for 65 cents, and increased sales dramatically over the years. Pork Chop John’s started in 1932, during the Great Depression, when John Burklund began selling the sandwiches for 20 cents — bone included — from a horse-drawn cart in Uptown Butte."
Nothing like that in the obituary, and even todays obit has had a least 3 new paragraphs. Doesn't really matter, he was obviously a great guy who gave the community great food and much of himself.